2019 F450 trailer not connected coming on - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

2019 F450 trailer not connected coming on

Notices

Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Exposed
Senior User
Exposed is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a new 2018 F-450 and been getting ready to tow my DRV Suites 5th wheel. I hooked up yesterday for a maiden short pull to get trailer inspected. Hooked up and lights working fine. Once pulled out the connected trailer connected on panel. I take off down the road and about a mile I see the trailer disconnected message. I still had lights and brakes okay. I pulled in the area where was getting trailer inspected and got an error saying right turn signal not working. I got out and checked the signal and it was blinking okay. Got inspected and headed home. Got the error on both turn signals again on the way home as well as the trailer disconnected error. I had checked the plug when I was getting inspected and looked locked and fine. All running lights were on and working. Any ideas on this? I hooked up my old truck and no errors on lights or brakes from trailer. I am assuming it is something to do with the trailer system on the dash...
Any help would be appreciated..

Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Do you have Electric over hydraulic disc brakes? If so, did you remember to configure that in the controller setup? If not, you may get the trailer disconnected message as there isnt any resistance for it to measure.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Exposed
Senior User
Trailer

You know I just thought about that when you mentioned, I remember the setup when I configured my 2017 F250 for my utility trailer. I have been so busy with raising the air hitch and getting everything else going, I have not done that... I will try that this weekend....
thanks

Old 12-07-2018, 05:50 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
You know I just thought about that when you mentioned, I remember the setup when I configured my 2017 F250 for my utility trailer. I have been so busy with raising the air hitch and getting everything else going, I have not done that... I will try that this weekend....
thanks
Glad to hear it. I'm guessing that is the problem.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
The other issue maybe a loose connection at the 7 pin. So if the configuration does not work look at the 7 pin next.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Exposed
Senior User
F450

Thanks for the input guys... Djousma, you are pulling with SRW 350? I would think that would be a little scary... I have been pulling our DRV with the International in the picture. It is a great rig but getting older and health reasons, the climb in/out is getting to be a lot more than I like. I ordered a new 450 to replace the International. I am hoping it will handle the weight okay... By the way, anyone looking for an ultimate towing vehicle, I have the International up for sale. Not for sure if the picture will make the trip. I added as an attachment but in preview, does not show up...

Old 12-08-2018, 09:18 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
Yes, towing the Cardinal in my signature with it. Just completed my third season. It's not quite as heavy as your rig I imagine. I have had zero problems, and is quite comfortable towing. Any larger/heavier rig I'd be in a DRW for sure. The only complaint is how small the fuel tank is. My next truck will be a SRW long bed to get the 47 gallon fuel tank.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Exposed
Senior User
Tank..

I built a 100 gallon aluminum tank back for my flatbed back in 2008. After buying the International I did not need so stored in back of the shop. I bought a 2017 F-250 short box to pull our off road jeep. 26 gallon is a pain so I put the 100 gallon tank in it. Worked great so when getting the F-450 I moved it to the new truck. Now with the 48 gallon and the 100 gallon, can go a long ways. It is also below the bed rails so I added a folding Backflip bed cover. This way I can cover the tank, hitch and whatever is in the bed when not pulling. Then it folds up to the front and can get to the big tank (barely) when open, I am looking at adding the Highway Products 5th wheel partner to the rear of the bed to carry miscellaneous stuff. I also installed a Trailersaver TSLB2H air ride hitch. I have the same in my International and after having it would not pull an 5th wheel without one. They are great when it comes to pulling...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 PM
RVINGFT
Junior User
RVINGFT is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the reconfigure does't work try wrapping the plug tight to the plug cover with velcro. I had the same problem and on one of the posts this was talked about, fixed my disconnect problem.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:30 PM
F350MS38RSSA
New User
F350MS38RSSA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Itís the led lights on the DRV, they donít draw enough power for the truck to recognize the trailer.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:19 PM
RVINGFT
Junior User
RVINGFT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't think its the DRV since I have a 43 Dallas and it works great after wrapping the plugs together. In the earlier thread it talked about the plug ford uses as being the culprit. Lots of trailers use Leds as we all know.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:50 AM
xrated
Senior User
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had two Ford truck that did the same thing....a 2011 F250 and now a 2016 F350 Dually. The trailer connector on the trucks are probably a different brand than the trailer plugs, and even though the configuration and compatibility is supposed to be the same and work together, ....sometimes they just don't. I discovered the "Velcro Strip" around the connector thing about 6 months into owning my F250...so sometime back in 2011. It solved the problem 100% of the time and I still use a velcro strap every time I hook up the trailer......no issues.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:00 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
I wish the OP would stop back and give us an update!

Old 12-17-2018, 11:27 AM
F350MS38RSSA
New User
F350MS38RSSA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like I said b4, I had a 15 Ford and it worked fine with my 18 DRV, after I purchased my 17 ford I had the same problems u did, the led lights on the newer DRV wouldnít let my 17 ford know it was connected because the power draw on the lights wasnít enough.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM
xrated
Senior User
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Both trailers I've had came with LED lights. In my case, both times it was the connector, not the fact that LEDS were used for the taillights/stop lights. Wrapping a Velcro strip around the connector after the trailer was plugged in resolved the issue 100% of the time....for me. YMMV!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.