tried to buy a relay today

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tried to buy a relay today

how did that work out? "Not too good."

both of my turn signals have been very erratic the last few days. not working most of the time, working for 3 blinks sometimes, once in a while working perfectly. should be a simple bad relay & I even heard a bit of the classic 'failed relay' clicking the other day.

so I looked up the fuse chart (fuse #1, for the turn blinkers, was fine). seems like Relay 5, for "Accessory Delay", should be the one. I pulled it (doesn't rattle inside though) and walked in Friendly Local Auto Parts Store #1 (Advance) and bought what their parts counter matched.

But the square plastic housing doesn't fit in to the space on the below dash fuse panel; close but not quite. I decided to keep it anyway; I figure I could pry the cover off it and ?maybe? use it that way. not ideal but should work if I needed it to.

I bopped on down the road to FLAPS #2 (O'Reilly). Their computer suggested a relay from a different manufacturer than the one from Advance. Just looking at it in the package I knew it would be too big as well.

So off to the Ford Dealership. This particular dealer didn't have the relay but another one in the area did have one left.

I was pretty surprised that I had to go back to Ford for such a simple after-market part. I wonder how long Motorcraft will keep these Ford-sized relays available ... ???

Just thought you might like to read about this before you head on down to your favorite FLAPS for a seemingly simple $9 electrical part.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
What was the part number of the correct relay?

And since we're talking relay fun...

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Bosch relay wiring tricks.pdf (2.76 MB, 37 views)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:34 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Have you tried checking with an electronics supply house? I seriously doubt that Ford or anyone else makes their own relays.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on your truck (going to assume 1999 to 2003 super duty here) your turn signal flasher ( the thing that controls the flashing) is under the dash just below the radio area near the power port, it will be the blue relay looking thing and if it is failing it can cause described symptoms.

if you need to replace it use a EP27 flasher

Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
if you need to replace it use a EP27 flasher
The EP27 is an electronic flasher vs the coil spring flasher design that hasn't changed much in 60 yrs other than they used to be round. The EP27 is taller than the OE flasher and will not fit under the cover of the relay box, but it will flash a consistent speed even if you upgrade to LEDs bulbs, or have a incadescent bulb burn out, or a trailer that makes your signals flash slower when hooked up

Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I am trying to understand why you go straight to a relay for a turn signal issue instead of a turn signal flasher.

And you never said if it fixed your problem, I would guess it did not, hence no report.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I can't imagine this being a relay problem. A flasher unit is likely what you need.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
The EP27 is an electronic flasher vs the coil spring flasher design that hasn't changed much in 60 yrs other than they used to be round. The EP27 is taller than the OE flasher and will not fit under the cover of the relay box, but it will flash a consistent speed even if you upgrade to LEDs bulbs, or have a incadescent bulb burn out, or a trailer that makes your signals flash slower when hooked up
if it is taller it isn’t by much, but based on the symptoms of the op that would be what they need to fix the reported issue, i have one in my truck and it fit just fine

Old 12-16-2018, 07:54 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Hello there, still working on this. Slight detour through the week while I recovered from scratching my cornea while working in the woods the other day.

This problem does indeed require a flasher, and I picked up the appropriate one (yep, blue) from a dealership the other day. To me, a "flasher" is also a "relay" and I have replaced them in other vehicles without ever using the term "flasher." I haven't looked too hard for where it is in the dash yet; I hope it doesn't take too much of a contortionist pose to reach it. I am largely only driving a no-traffic gravel road every day right now.

I had a hunch that the relay in the regular fuse panel would not fix this - but I wanted to try replacing the "Accessory Delay" relay anyway, and I did think the classic bad relay clicking came from there, not from right of the steering column. Naturally, the one from Ford fits perfectly where it should. I have some additional gremlins in my dash, and have for a long time.

- the in-dash buzzer is always an interesting puzzle to make-stop when I turn the truck off. usually, but not always, a certain spot on the heat/defrost switch will make it turn off. sometimes I have to cycle the key a few times. "Accessory Delay" seemed like it could be part of this mystery, but, alas, no. I believe this buzzer sits right near the flasher relay.

- the indicator lights in the dash sometimes have a mind of their own any more. Low Fuel and the Oil Pressure red indicator like to come on simultaneously, and then go back off when I touch the brake. haven't seen this happen this week at least.

- the speedometer works, oh, about 91.37% of the time. every so often on a good dry day after the truck is good and warmed up, it roars to life. until I decelerate to below 37 mph, then it just dies again.

- my truck was hit by lightning several years ago now. some things have never been the same. I might switch out the rest of the relays too, eventually.

As for the turn signals themselves, they still work intermittently, but mostly not at all. They do work perfectly on the four-way. I did have a suggestion that the turn signal lever itself can wear out, but I would think that would affect the left or the right signal, not both exactly identically - both dead, or working. ?

As with Relay 5, I want to try a new Flasher regardless. I hope I don't have to further dissemble the dash to do it...

Old 12-16-2018, 09:17 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
The four way flasher and the turn signal flasher are separate animals, so one can work fine and the other not. The turn signal flasher is not to hard to get to as it is below the radio closer to the firewall, don't remember much more than that as it has been ten years at least since I switched mine to an electronic flasher because of a switch to LED taillights.

As to the in dash buzzer you refer to is that the key in the ignition or seat belt one. I unplugged my seat belt wires to get rid of that buzzer. The key buzzer has a small spring loaded switch inside the column that is activated by the key. Mine is broken inside and I sometimes haft to hit (lightly) the key area after removing the key to get it to shut off, currently to lazy to tear into it just for that issue.