Anyone have the Ebay 2" 2WD Level Kit? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the Ebay 2" 2WD Level Kit?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 PM
L-ight
Senior User
L-ight is starting off with a positive reputation.

I recently bought these https://www.ebay.com/itm/StreetRays-...97.m4902.l9144 and was going to install them tomorrow. I also replaced my shocks about 3 months ago with Bilstein 4600 in the front and rear as well. I did some searches and got mixed reviews on needing an adjustable caster bushing? Is the recommended or have some trucks been ok without it? Also would those front shocks bottom out quiet often? I do 99% pavement driving and 1% sand when going to beach.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Yes you will need to adjust your camber or your tires will wear quickly and it is going to handle poorly.
Dont know what length shocks you have but stock length ones would most likely top out before bottom out, either way it will ruin them if it does.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Been here. am there.

Need a full alignment. Well worth it tho. With the sag you have from years with stock length,,,,,, I'm rough on mine with a 9 ft western plow swinging away. Stock length with a 2 inch push lift. Highly recommend an alignment.

Denny

Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 AM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Been here. am there.

Need a full alignment. Well worth it tho. With the sag you have from years with stock length,,,,,, I'm rough on mine with a 9 ft western plow swinging away. Stock length with a 2 inch push lift. Highly recommend an alignment.

Denny
I was already was going to get an alignment for sure. I am just going to also get the camber bushings to be safe. Also with my brand new bilstein 4600 shocks would I be ok with those or do I really need to get the shocks made for the 4" lift?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
I would install everything and take your shock off the mount and extend it with the tires on the ground. See how much length you have above or below the mount. That will tell you what you actually have to play with.

Like I said, I put on a 2 inch lift and have been running my stock length shocks for a number of years. I don't off road much and haven't heard/felt/or had any problems.

Denny

Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM
MD_7.three
Freshman User
MD_7.three is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by L-ight View Post
I recently bought these https://www.ebay.com/itm/StreetRays-...97.m4902.l9144 and was going to install them tomorrow. I also replaced my shocks about 3 months ago with Bilstein 4600 in the front and rear as well. I did some searches and got mixed reviews on needing an adjustable caster bushing? Is the recommended or have some trucks been ok without it? Also would those front shocks bottom out quiet often? I do 99% pavement driving and 1% sand when going to beach.
I'm in your boat being 2WD and I've yet to pull the trigger on the spacers...seems we don't have much for options other than those or a full 6" kit...I'll be following closely to see how it works out for you! Post some pictures!

During my research the dual axis adjustable caster bearings were also coming up as a required addition...there were more than a few that referenced having to do some work on the knuckle with a grinder as well

Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
I would install everything and take your shock off the mount and extend it with the tires on the ground. See how much length you have above or below the mount. That will tell you what you actually have to play with.

Like I said, I put on a 2 inch lift and have been running my stock length shocks for a number of years. I don't off road much and haven't heard/felt/or had any problems.

Denny
Good to know. Yea I don't offroad at all unless going to the beach is offroading lol?

Originally Posted by MD_7.three View Post
I'm in your boat being 2WD and I've yet to pull the trigger on the spacers...seems we don't have much for options other than those or a full 6" kit...I'll be following closely to see how it works out for you! Post some pictures!

During my research the dual axis adjustable caster bearings were also coming up as a required addition...there were more than a few that referenced having to do some work on the knuckle with a grinder as well
Yea I went ahead and purchased the moog adjustable caster bearings. I am thinking I will be ok getting by with the new Bilstein 4600 shocks up front. I can def provide pictures. I am just scared that I may have to grind some of the knuckle down, but I doubt it.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM
MiamiPSD
Senior User
MiamiPSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 4600's will work. About grinding, check out: To grind, or not grind thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-question.html

Old 12-11-2018, 10:58 AM
L-ight
Senior User
I will be tackling this job this Saturday. I just hope the alignment shop (Firestone) will know how to adjust with these adjustable camber bushings.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
The thread linked above includes a picture of my shock extension.

I'm running a 2" front lift.

New bushings for sure!
Knuckle grinding... I HAD to do it, little by little, several times to gain full clearance.
Alignment for sure!
Shock extension for sure!

ALTERNATIVE... get a new set of front springs which have no sag and provide any additional lift you want to achieve.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM
beef tits
Senior User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wouldn't grind parts of your truck away. Ditch the ebay lift and get a proper set of springs.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by L-ight View Post
Yes, for 10 years now.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8492932

Stewart

Old 12-11-2018, 02:28 PM
MD_7.three
Freshman User
MD_7.three is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Did anyone ever figure out the rhyme or reason for who had to grind vs not grind? specific to certain years? E99 any different than 99.5-03? One brand of dual adjustable bearing vs another?

Originally Posted by F250_
get a new set of front springs which have no sag and provide any additional lift you want to achieve.
I've been looking at a set of TufTruck HD coils since I know my springs are sagged at least 1" from stock...do you think those are enough to get back to level? Anybody running these? Any grinding?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:40 PM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
The thread linked above includes a picture of my shock extension.

I'm running a 2" front lift.

New bushings for sure!
Knuckle grinding... I HAD to do it, little by little, several times to gain full clearance.
Alignment for sure!
Shock extension for sure!

ALTERNATIVE... get a new set of front springs which have no sag and provide any additional lift you want to achieve.
That is what worries me is the grinding. As well as the shocks. They are pretty much brand new, but others have ran oem shocks with a 2" level kit without any problems. New springs doesn't seem like a bad idea. Would I still need an alignment? Bit more pricier though.

Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
I wouldn't grind parts of your truck away. Ditch the ebay lift and get a proper set of springs.
Any recommendations?
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Sweet! What all did you have to do?

Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
I discovered the need for grinding only after having everything installed and aligned, and found my ball joints not surviving long. On my first ball joint replacement, I noticed scrub marks between the knuckle and c-frame (where the ball joints mount). Choosing to focus primarily on the heaviest of those two pieces, I did some minor smoothing on the back side of the c-frame where it had been contacting the knuckle face, and noticed that the point of contact on the knuckle face was where the cast mold seam sort of slightly bevels outwards towards the c-frame. That "proud" bevel is what I flattened, very carefully, and even took a coupe of years and two sets of ball joints to get the gap where there was never any contact after alignment.

Is the 1" new springs enough? I'm honestly not sure since I'm not fluent with the original geometry dimensions. I just know that springs can be custom made for whatever height you want to achieve, btu I can;t tell you the specific process for specifying the new coil spring geometries.

As for the shocks, Different brands of shocks have different travel dimensions. I know that the Bilsteins I initially ran after installing the spacers were topping out when I hit a sudden pot holes or similar. Another member even experienced a broken shock as a result of the exact same travel limitation due to the rougher roads he used on a daily basis. He is the one who came up with the bolt extender on top of the KYB shock to obtain the correct travel capabilities (because the extender allowed the shock to "rest" in it's near-center position instead of "near the top" of it's travel range). I simply followed his example and have had zero issues ever since.

The grinding solved my ball joint life issue. Am I happy about having had to do the grinding? No. Do I believe that I removed enough metal to compromise the strength of my front end? No, not at all for my road princess driving activities, and as long as I'm not getting into slick wet stuff, I'm confident to take my truck anywhere I believe that the 2wd format will support.

The shock extenders have given me a better ride, and I don't feel the shocks topping out the way the Bilsteins used to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.