2011 Escape 2.5 PO300 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2011 Escape 2.5 PO300

Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 PM
ianmcdca
New User
ianmcdca is starting off with a positive reputation.
2011 Escape 2.5 PO300

Hello. So I just picked up this Ď11 Escape knowing it had a random multiple misfire. Runs too rough to drive and surges, and smokes out tailpipe ( unburied fuel). Previous owner said dealership put new plugs in and that it helped for a week but returned. I put in 4 coil packs from a running Escape. No change.
My scanner data shows 2 codes: P0300 and P0053. Also, live data shows that O2 upstream wonít read because of problem. ALSO important: temp gauge did not rise at all after 5-10 min of idle. Scan tool said engine temp was only 98 degrees...
so, my questions are:
can a failed 02 cause this severe of a misfire?
2: can a failed temp sensor/thermostat cause it?
I literally picked it up yesterday and have NOT done a compression check or checked cam timing.
Any help would be great!

Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 PM
scott91370
Posting Guru
scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.
So P0053 means the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Resistance is out of range on engine bank 1 (side of engine with cylinder #1) and the sensor upstream or in front of the catalytic converter.
I would start there.

P0300 is random misfire. I would check all plugs/COPS and see if they are connected tight.

The temp not rising could be a few things like a stuck thermostat, bad sensor, bad wiring at the sensor or bad gauge. Probably not the latter because the scan tool gave you a reading.Visual inspection is needed.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:55 PM
ianmcdca
New User
Thanks for the reply. So I checked compression and all cylinders are 170 psi. Which temp sensor? or where is it located? AllData shows one on top of the head and one on the back of the block. I replaced the 02 sensor and cleaned plugs. They were all gas fouled and black. These were new plugs. No change.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM
simonsi
Senior User
simonsi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bad temp reading too cold would cause a) the temp gauge and scan tool to read low, b) the car to run rich on all cylinders, the rich running would account for the plug fouling and probably the random misfire.

To confirm whether the too cold is reality or a failed sensor you'll need to use a thermometer to find the actual engine temp. If the engine really is hot but reading cold then it will be the sensor, if the engine really is cold then it'll be a stuck thermostat.

Sorry can't help with a location for the sensor...

Old 12-07-2018, 07:21 PM
ianmcdca
New User
Thanks for the reply. Iíll borrow a thermometer tomorrow but....hoses were cold and i could put my hand on any part of the engine after 5 min and it was warm at best. Ambient temperature was about 35f
thanks again.
Also, I think a motor running that rich would run colder. It wouldnít allow a proper warm up.....

Old 12-07-2018, 07:31 PM
simonsi
Senior User
In that case the thermostat is likely the cause. Running rich won't make it run cold, it will cool the mixture going into the cylinder but won't lower the engine temp, especially with a working thermostat. An individual O2 sensor would only affect that bank it is on, all your plugs being fouled again points to something affecting all cylinders, such as engine temp, actual or measured.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:34 PM
ianmcdca
New User
Alright. Thanks again. I think itís 2 different issues. Even if itís the thermostat, it would still start normal I would think.
Anyways. Iíll get at it again tomorrow!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 PM
simonsi
Senior User
Originally Posted by ianmcdca View Post
Even if itís the thermostat, it would still start normal I would think.
I didn't see mention of a starting issue - what does it do/not do?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 PM
ianmcdca
New User
Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
I didn't see mention of a starting issue - what does it do/not do?
it starts right away and idles erratically.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.