1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1995 Ford E350 Van od light flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Seeker of truth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" Complicated " ; I just figured that if I posted how I fixed my van that it might help someone.
I will try to explain one more time and post more links to help.

Ok solenoid body. That I called a "high pressure block sensor.
My ob11 code reader pull code for this so I changed it out with new solenoid ; which stopped the od light flashing for a little while, a month or so then light started flashing again and jumping in and out of gear. I have the code it pulled in the ob11 case if y'all need that too , and I can post that too, if ya have to have it.

Follow me so far?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Seeker of truth
I have the code it pulled in the ob11 case if y'all need that too , and I can post that too, if ya have to have it.
I don't have to have it, but I am curious which code it is.

You threw me with the "high pressure block sensor" name. The solenoid body only has one sensor on it, and that is the temperature sensor. All of the other electronics on the solenoid body are solenoids, which are very different from a sensor.

Originally Posted by JWA
At some point Mark might be compelled to once again share his resume---that tends to quiet those who we might call clueless if less polite.
Since you asked...

I started my career at Chrysler Defense, Inc, which was soon sold to General Dynamics. We made the M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank. I was an engineer on the Allison automatic transmission in the tank. This trans (which also contained the differential and the brakes) weighed 4300 pounds dry and held 45 gallons of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

When I left there I worked for Roush Industries as an engine engineer. I worked on a few production programs, but mostly I built prototypes for each of the Big 3.

Then I went to Ford as an automatic transmission engineer. I was there for almost 19 years. I worked on the AXODE (later renamed AX4S,) Transmission Diagnostics, the 5R55N/S in the Lincoln LS, the 5R110W, and then transmission cooling. Along the way I was a volunteer "tune developer" on our off road team. We supported a team the won the Class 8 championship multiple times, along with several Baja 1000 wins and the win in the 2000 Baja 2000, a 2000 mile off road race through the Baja peninsula. We ran E4OD, then 4R100, and finally 5R110W transmissions throughout the years.

I even got to ride in one of the last two seat Trophy Trucks during a test session. We ran the old Mint 400 course north of Las Vegas.

In 2007 I took a buyout from Ford and went to Getrag. I helped develop the electronically controlled limited slip differential for the 2012 Corvette ZR1. This involved riding in the cars at speed recording data on a laptop on the Nurburgring in Germany, Virginia International Raceway, and GM's Milford Proving Ground. It was a lot of fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, GM ran out of money and canceled our contract. We all were layed off. I used that opportunity to get out of the cold and move to Florida.

I owned an auto repair shop in Ocala, FL, for a while, but the worsening economy forced me to close it. That ended my automotive career after 31 years.

There are more things going on now, but I'm done working in the automotive field.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Seeker of truth
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I don't have to have it, but I am curious which code it is.

You threw me with the "high pressure block sensor" name. The solenoid body only has one sensor on it, and that is the temperature sensor. All of the other electronics on the solenoid body are solenoids, which are very different from a sensor.

Since you asked...

I started my career at Chrysler Defense, Inc, which was soon sold to General Dynamics. We made the M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank. I was an engineer on the Allison automatic transmission in the tank. This trans (which also contained the differential and the brakes) weighed 4300 pounds dry and held 45 gallons of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

When I left there I worked for Roush Industries as an engine engineer. I worked on a few production programs, but mostly I built prototypes for each of the Big 3.

Then I went to Ford as an automatic transmission engineer. I was there for almost 19 years. I worked on the AXODE (later renamed AX4S,) Transmission Diagnostics, the 5R55N/S in the Lincoln LS, the 5R110W, and then transmission cooling. Along the way I was a volunteer "tune developer" on our off road team. We supported a team the won the Class 8 championship multiple times, along with several Baja 1000 wins and the win in the 2000 Baja 2000, a 2000 mile off road race through the Baja peninsula. We ran E4OD, then 4R100, and finally 5R110W transmissions throughout the years.

I even got to ride in one of the last two seat Trophy Trucks during a test session. We ran the old Mint 400 course north of Las Vegas.

In 2007 I took a buyout from Ford and went to Getrag. I helped develop the electronically controlled limited slip differential for the 2012 Corvette ZR1. This involved riding in the cars at speed recording data on a laptop on the Nurburgring in Germany, Virginia International Raceway, and GM's Milford Proving Ground. It was a lot of fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, GM ran out of money and canceled our contract. We all were layed off. I used that opportunity to get out of the cold and move to Florida.

I owned an auto repair shop in Ocala, FL, for a while, but the worsening economy forced me to close it. That ended my automotive career after 31 years.

There are more things going on now, but I'm done working in the automotive field.

I will grab that code for you sometime today when I go out to my old building where it's in the ob11 case. Yea I think that is where I got the name High pressure block sensor was looking the code up in the code book. But anyway that name will come up as I explain the code soon as I go out and get it.

And not sure with out scrolling back which one asked about anti lock brake code and it having something to do with od light flashing; but as I was researching od light flashing and like you said there is 500 things that can cause it I was not able to pull any anti lock brake codes with ob11 reader from 1995 or later vehicles. But video's had shown that the sensors on front and rear end could cause od flashing so my anti lock brake light had been on for some time so I changed all three and light still stayed on. Then I changed the anti lock brake module at the pump and light went out. At that time od light was still flashing and jumping in and out of gear then my wife found the video of throttle body sensor and when I changed that it fixed the od light and no more problems since.

I will get ya the code for solenoid.body I had pulled with my ob11

Old 12-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Seeker of truth
New User
Wink

Originally Posted by JWA
Oh yeah---big time agreement there! Its almost sad to watch but yet I can't turn away..........................

At some point Mark might be compelled to once again share his resume---that tends to quiet those who we might call clueless if less polite.
Guess I am the clueless, and less polite?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM
econo93
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
(never mind)

Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by econo93
(never mind)

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Since you asked...

I started my career at Chrysler Defense, Inc..........
This just doesn't get any less interesting even reading it once again----------thanks Mark!

Originally Posted by Seeker of truth
Guess I am the clueless, and less polite?
Those of us who've been active on FTE for a while know of Mark's expertise and experience with most things Ford transmission---that you seemed to doubt his reply is comical only in light of his valuable contributions to this entire site.

As you noticed Mark will be specific in naming components which is vitally important when trying to diagnose a described issue--that's just another aspect of his contributions here.

Needless to say we're all very fortunate he puts up with a lot of the crap newbies have thrown at him. I don't have that sort of patience---then again I don't have his level of expertise either.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Seeker of truth
New User
Originally Posted by JWA

This just doesn't get any less interesting even reading it once again----------thanks Mark!

Those of us who've been active on FTE for a while know of Mark's expertise and experience with most things Ford transmission---that you seemed to doubt his reply is comical only in light of his valuable contributions to this entire site.

As you noticed Mark will be specific in naming components which is vitally important when trying to diagnose a described issue--that's just another aspect of his contributions here.

Needless to say we're all very fortunate he puts up with a lot of the crap newbies have thrown at him. I don't have that sort of patience---then again I don't have his level of expertise either.

True and I didn't know these things. Live and learn. Thanks for the info.