Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 7.3L diesel

Old 12-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Big Mak
New User
Big Mak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dont hate me, I paid 14k for the truck, 9k for the 5th wheel (used 3 times, 3 months at a whack)

Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Welcome to the FTE Big Mak! That truck is the 2wd clone of my truck, down to the grille guard, ZF6 and color!
Yeah, but with a longbed, so his is a real pickup!

Originally Posted by Big Mak View Post
Dont hate me, I paid 14k for the truck, 9k for the 5th wheel (used 3 times, 3 months at a whack)
Too late!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Start by spraying solicone spray, wd40..etc on/where the master cylinder rod enters the unit...the rod that connects to the clutch pedal..mine does it as well. Just sprayed it yesterday...we'll move forward if that dont help.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post
Yeah, but with a longbed, so his is a real pickup!
I had a 1992 OBS with an 8' long bed. The only time I found that superior was when I was hauling full sheets of plywood. Other than that, the short bed with the 45 gallon fuel tank has gotten the job done just fine for us. So, I say my truck is more efficient because it does the same work with a smaller space.

Pretty cool though how a lot of his truck is the same as my truck. You don't see that too often, especially on a 20 year old truck.

Big Mak, great job on the price. We don't hate you, just the opposite really. At least I think it is great you got such a deal.

I will post up some videos here that I have done for a few things that have been repaired or modified on my truck. That should get your pencil going, at least for a start.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 AM
MD_7.three
Freshman User
MD_7.three is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome Mak!

I'm in the 2WD SRW club as well...watch out for wet grass!

I was totally shocked it gets 21 mpg doing 60 on the freeway with no load
I get about 18.5/19...but I'm Auto and CC

Old 12-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Big Mak
New User
MD7,wet grass. LOL! True enough. The torque caught me offguard on more than one occasion on wet pavement,

Sous, great set of vids. Did you figure out what made the noise in the last vid?

Timmyboy, I'll give that another try. I did that this summer but the sound came back, perhaps a better lubricant than WD40 might do the trick? I have some Ballistol gun oil I may try next. I though perhaps there was a replacement part I get buy to get rid of the in-cab squeak. Whats odd is it's only there on hot days, inside the cab.

I have more questions;

-How many miles should I expect to put on the rig before I need to replace glowplugs? All asphalt highway miles planned on this one, no farm/dirt roads/dust,etc. I have a '07 Jeep Sahara and a 2010 Toyota 4Skinner for dirty work.
-What about the rear diff oil? 100k?
-Timing belt is 68k and 18 years old, should I go ahead and be pro-active and replace before heading out on a 8 state, 6,000 mile excursion towing next spring?

Old 12-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.

Sous, great set of vids. Did you figure out what made the noise in the last vid?
I did, it was a bad clutch and a bad flywheel with hot spots on it. There is another video on my channel that shows to fix action which was the South Bend clutch, resurfaced flywheel and some other custom work by the mechanic.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
You can ohm the GP’s and test the GPR and you’ll know if they’re good. A lot of us wire in a small LED from the GPR into the cab, when the GPR energizes you’ll see the light come on and for how long. The WTS light has NOTHING to do with the GP’s.

If you're towing regularly probably closer to 30K, IMO gear oil is cheap, gears are not! Also look at Lubelocker gaskets for the diff, makes inspecting the gears easy and they’re reusable!

If traction becomes an issue look at a Truetrac Posi for your diff. It changed my truck!

Fluids: Unless your dad can give you maintenance records I would CHANGE THEM ALL. Personally, I’d change them anyway! Then start fresh with your records. I keep a notebook with everything I do to the truck with date and mileage.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Junior User
7.3 Powerstroke Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to FTE! Beautiful truck! In my opinion, harvest gold metallic is one of the sharpest colors they offered for these trucks.

I would definitely consider changing the belt since you are planning on a 6,000 mile trip. Even if it is in good condition, an 18 year old belt has had many heating and cooling cycles over the years and the likely hood of it breaking is more than likely increased. As easy as it is to change, it would be much better do it in the comfort of your own shop or driveway rather than out on the side of the road somewhere. And if the original is still pretty good, instead of discarding it, it couldn't hurt to keep in the truck as a spare just in case.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 PM
ArmyLifer
Elder User
ArmyLifer is a name known to allArmyLifer is a name known to allArmyLifer is a name known to allArmyLifer is a name known to allArmyLifer is a name known to allArmyLifer is a name known to all
Welcome to FTE. Nice looking truck!

Timing belt is 68k and 18 years old, should I go ahead and be pro-active and replace before heading out on a 8 state, 6,000 mile excursion towing next spring?
FYI, the 7.3 doesn’t have a timing belt. Timing is gear driven on these engines. I’m assuming you are talking about the serpentine belt that turns the alternator, A/C, and water pump. Yep, I’d replace it. I’d also look at replacing the hoses if they are original too. A popular mod is to install the dual alternator upper radiator hose (Gates 22433) so you can change the serpentine belt without removing the upper radiator hose to do it.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:20 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
If the clutch noise only happens as you're pressing or releasing the pedal it's the pedal hinge or pushrod. If it's a constant noise any time you're holding the pedal down it's the throwout bearing.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Big Mak
New User
Thanks fellas! Taking notes!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:30 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Nice truck and good on ya for getting squared away with knowledge. You'll find these guys to be a great group, lots of fun, and very knowledgeable. I would plan on a full clutch replacement with that kind of noise, change all the fluids front to back, and never buy anything but Motorcraft/Ford parts. We are here to help and enjoy the journey with you. These trucks like it best when they are worked hard and maintained well. Do both, and you'll get lots of good years out of it. Oh, we love pictures! LOL....Welcome!!

Old 12-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome and nice looking truck. With that mileage you have a love life ahead of you. There is a info thread at the top of the forum, great place to read up on stuff. Tons of info and great guys on here. The best section on this forum if I don’t say so myself

Old 12-09-2018, 11:44 PM
burnthelight88
Elder User
burnthelight88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I gotta try that A/C evaporator cleaning when I start chasing down my weak A/C this summer, thanks for posting the video! Denso starter and traction bars look like excellent ideas as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.