Low coolant temps after new heads installed 2500 miles ago - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Low coolant temps after new heads installed 2500 miles ago

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 12-06-2018, 01:56 PM
jlo84truck
Senior User
jlo84truck is starting off with a positive reputation.

2003 6.0 175000 miles. Egr delete, new oil cooler new heads with valve job, arp headstuds, new cat Elc coolant, 2 new Napa thermostats, clutch fan installed a year ago Hyden amazon (going to send back due to staying on when coolant temps are 75-100deg),

i installed new heads around 2500 miles ago and I canít get the coolant temps to rise like they used to, I had an egr block off plate in my truck for 8 years now and finally got a full egr delete with uppipe installed when I did the heads ( both factory heads were cracked into the waterjacket, got a set ordered and built at a known machine shop). My oil temps are the only thing raising my coolant temps from 120 all the way to 190. I changed out two thermostats thinking thatís why Iím not getting my coolant temps to rise. When I changed out the thermostat I found a little casting sand in the coolant. I have a coolant filter as well. I have purged all the air out of the coolant system with a coolant vacuum system. Still have the same issue. I keep checking my coolant and havenít lost any. Iím kinda stumped right now as to why my coolant temps wonít rise before my oil temps.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Maybe a bad sensor?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Don't trust the Napa thermostat. I had one fail after a few months and had similar issue.
I'd replace the thermostat with either Motorcraft or International.
This is the one that went bad. It was made by Motor-rad.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Lately, I don't even have Motorcraft T/S working proper in the LS.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
Lately, I don't even have Motorcraft T/S working proper in the LS.
Same here unless I'm hooked to 12k. I have a brand new improved design of the high temp Mishimoto on the shelf. One day maybe I'll throw it in.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:55 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
Don't trust the Napa thermostat. I had one fail after a few months and had similar issue.
I'd replace the thermostat with either Motorcraft or International.
This is the one that went bad. It was made by Motor-rad.
Never been a fan myself. If you can get one that is a Balkamp they are pretty good, but they don't have them for all applications.

T- stats, O2 sensors and most sensors are things I've always had the best luck going OEM

Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 PM
xcrsp440
Senior User
xcrsp440 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Years ago here in Mn, my old Ranger was not making any heat. Tried a new thermostat, still nothing, had to drive 20 miles to get warm. Put another one in and same thing. Froze for 2 winters until I bought one more thermostat this time OEM. 15 minutes later I had toasty warmth. Kicked myself for missing something so obvious and freezing for 2 winters.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 AM
jlo84truck
Senior User
jlo84truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
That Napa thermostat looks like the one I have. I tested it in a pot of hot water on the stove and it opened when hot (190) and closed when I poured cold water in the pot with no problems. After seeing that itís hard to believe itís a thermostat. But with it not warming up like it should it acts as if itís a bad thermostat. Forgot to mention that pulled my water pump out and it had a few cracks in the plastic impeller so I replaced it as well. Well I might just have to put an oem thermostat in there and hope thatís it.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 AM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
The oil & coolant temp sensors are the same. You can swap them and see if the low temp switches to the oil. If the water temp still reads low than there isn't much more to it other than thermostat sticking open.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.