2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What's it worth?...dilemma..what do I do!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless it's the exact truck you have always wanted, I'd say sell it. It's going to depreciate while you're over there for 3 years, and there will most likely be an updated version coming out in 2021/2022 that will make it depreciate a bit faster. If you're in love with this body style you could store it since you most likely won't be able to get the same body style new when you get back, but storing can have challenges. In 2003 I put my 71 Camaro in a storage unit while I was stationed in HI for 3 years. Less than a month after I got back and got it out the storage place burned down after a meth lab blew up. You'd probably have to do outside storage at most places anyways because of the size of the truck, and that would not be cool with me. Or leave it with family/friends. I don't know about your friends & family, but mine aren't willing to give up half their garage for several years.. If it was me, I'd sell it now since you got such a good deal on it before it depreciates much. You probably won't have too hard of a time getting close to what you paid. Then put that money in an account and add a little to it each pay period you're over there and then you could special order and pay cash for whatever you want when you get back.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM
sspeck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn down the assignment down and put your retirement papers in.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:24 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
The Armada would be a much better fit for the driving you will do in Guam. My advice is to dispose of the SD, then order a new one through the overseas miltary sales just before you return to CONUS.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:35 PM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Option #2.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM
2019er
Laughing Gas
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Guam, as far as fuel prices are concerned anyway, you don't be doing that much driving on the island that it would be significant right? My fried asked for somewhere "South" when getting shipped out. They sent him to South Dakota. Be careful what you as for lol.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Bombero
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in Guam a few times in the mid 70’s in the Navy. It’s most outrageous claim to fame at the time was the world’s largest McDonalds restaurant! No kidding! Good diving, but not much else. It’s probably a lot different 40-something years later.

So, I would sell it. I ordered a 2019 F350 a few weeks ago. My preference was to buy a private seller 2017+ F350, and save some money. I would do regional and national searches on Craigslist and Auto Trader, and there’s not much out there. The few out there are just a few thousand below what you can buy them at the dealer. So I think you will get maybe what you paid minus 5-10%?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by 2019er
Guam, as far as fuel prices are concerned anyway, you don't be doing that much driving on the island that it would be significant right? My fried asked for somewhere "South" when getting shipped out. They sent him to South Dakota. Be careful what you as for lol.
Hey, it could have been North Dakota!

Why not Minot?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bombero
So, I would sell it. I ordered a 2019 F350 a few weeks ago. My preference was to buy a private seller 2017+ F350, and save some money. I would do regional and national searches on Craigslist and Auto Trader, and there’s not much out there. The few out there are just a few thousand below what you can buy them at the dealer. So I think you will get maybe what you paid minus 5-10%?
The used market on these trucks is sparse to say the least. There are two listed in my area, both gas, and both listed for only a few thousand below new.

-matt

Old 12-07-2018, 04:55 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely good advice in here. Selling really sounds and looks like my best bet. I leave TDY to Germany tomorrow, I will do some research while gone and list it, check CarMax and Carvana when I get back. Hope to not take a huge wash on it.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could check the local Ford dealers. They could sell it as a certified used so may give you a bit more than Carmax.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
And its sold. I put it on Car Gurus last week and on Facebook marketplace Saturday, I listed it at $54,000 firm. It had 9,020 miles on it.

I got a bunch of messages asking if I would take $40,000 for it. People swearing they can get the same truck for $45,000. I told them to go buy those trucks then. Then I had a go on facebook message me. He looked at it Sunday, bought it wed. Tried to offer me less, but I said I was firm. So I got the full $54,000.

I am ok with that. Deffinitely lost some money, only owned it less than a year. But I got it for a steal at $59K out the door with a good trade on my last vehicle. So not to bad of a loss for the year.

Interested to see what I end up when I get back stateside in August of 2022.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:04 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
glad it worked out

Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 PM
soonerstroker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's good thing you didn't take it to Guam. My dad is actually from there and we were lucky enough to get stationed there from 08-13. Diesel is expensive like you said and hard to come by sometimes. Most of the roads had crushed coral mixed in so it mad the roads slick when it rained and it rains a lot. It would be hard to stop your truck on it for sure. Don't know if you've ever been there but take your time and learn the culture. It's not a big island but there is plenty to do if you want. Shop at the commissary but make sure your try the Chamorro BBQ which is everywhere.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
[QUOTE=xETERNALx;18344928]My luck with vehicles strikes again. I am in the military (about to hit 19 years in). EVERY time I buy a new vehicle I get orders to move overseas. I really thought I was nearing the end of overseas assignments so I went out and bought a 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 in it. I got it in June 2018. So about 5 months ago. Currently sitting at 4,000 miles on the odometer. Monday, I got notified that we are moving to Guam for 3 years.

Problem #1 is, my wife has a 2015 Nissan Armada with the 3rd row seating. We have 3 kids and one of them is always wanting a friend to tag along, so having just the truck as the family vehicle would stink.
Problem #2, it's paid off, and she really likes it.
Problem #3, military will only pay to ship 1 vehicle. Last time I looked into shipping overseas, it was about $2,000. This will be our 5th overseas base (so we have done this a few times).
Problem #4, diesel is EXPENSIVE on island
Problem #5, I would have nothing to tow there, so it really would be more truck than I would need.

I do have options.
Option #1, park it for 3 years while we are in Guam and let it sit. I would come home to a virtually new vehicle, but it would be outdated. This somewhat bothers me because I am in essence buying a $70K (paid $59 for it) truck that once I get to enjoy it, won't be near what I paid for it.
Options #2, sell it. I paid $59K for it. Not sure what it is worth. Sit on the money i sell it for, then buy a new truck when I get back to the states. Then I will have an actually new truck, that is not outdated. BUT, I am sure I will end up losing money on selling it at this point. Its a 2017, whats it worth?
Options #3, pay to take it with me. Put miles on it. Possibly accumulate rust, there is a ton of salt there. Not use it as a truck. Spend a ton on diesel.
I do have the option to sell the wifes, and tell her to suck it up. But she really does like her car. It fits our family. And I don't want her and the kids in my tuck without me. I swear you could feed the homeless with what accumulates under the kids seats. They have NEVER ate in mine. 10 hour drive to the campground? We pull over for a sip of water!!!

The truck:
2017 SB F-250 Lariat Ultimate with FX4, Chrome Package, Plow Package, Suplemental Hear, Blind Spot, Aux switches, etc. Pretty well optioned. 4,000 miles. First registered in June 2018
This is my first truck I have had, so first diesel. I know resale is decent.

Whats it worth if I sold it now? Would it be worth it taking the hit on selling it now and buying new in late 2022? I kind of look at it that I am essentially going to have this truck NEW in 2022, with 4,000 miles but it being a 2017. Not sure if that makes sense or not. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me, selling a BRAND new car within a year of ownership.[/QUOTE

Despite the financial hit, congrats on the sale.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:34 AM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by soonerstroker
It's good thing you didn't take it to Guam. My dad is actually from there and we were lucky enough to get stationed there from 08-13. Diesel is expensive like you said and hard to come by sometimes. Most of the roads had crushed coral mixed in so it mad the roads slick when it rained and it rains a lot. It would be hard to stop your truck on it for sure. Don't know if you've ever been there but take your time and learn the culture. It's not a big island but there is plenty to do if you want. Shop at the commissary but make sure your try the Chamorro BBQ which is everywhere.
I was stationed there from 08-12, so we were there the same time. I worked out at North West Field when I was there.

Quick Reply: What's it worth?...dilemma..what do I do!!