Ram sales jump 32%; Ford sales flat. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Reload this Page >

Ram sales jump 32%; Ford sales flat.

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 AM
jschira
Postmaster
jschira has a good reputation on FTE.jschira has a good reputation on FTE.

OK. I know that Ford sales are high by historic standard, but they are essentially flat at around 70k units/month.

Ram sales were up 32% YOY in November. And not because of big incentives.

Every review that I have read, and I mean every review, says that Ram has the best interior, ride and handling. To be fair, the Ram also has the most limited selection of engines and even with the mild hybrid, those engines are getting a little long in the tooth. But, the 8 speed tranny is a ZF unit and considered one of the best made.

Also, with the coils, the Ram has a weaker payload as well.

So, what is driving Ram sales?

Maybe people are getting tired of paying $70k for a Ford and getting an interior that would look cheap even in a Focus.

Maybe more and more people are using pickups as an everyday car, and prefer a nice ride and better handling over super payload capacity.

I don't know. But I suspect that today's pickup buyer is looking for different things than yesterday's buyer. Maybe Ford needs to include some average Joes and Josephines in its focus group and kick out some of the contractors.

And this is something foe every OEM. What's with the pricing? Around me, $14k-$15k off of an MSRP of <$50k is routine. What do they do? Put a bunch of numbers on a dart board and throw 5 darts to come up with an MSRP?

Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
You also have to figure that Ram lost the most market share back when everyone got in trouble and therefore they have the most ground to gain back.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 AM
jschira
Postmaster
jschira has a good reputation on FTE.jschira has a good reputation on FTE.
Sorry. Ram pickup sales were up 42% YOY. F-Series sales were flat, but still a very healthy 70k+ units.

Sales were up even though the 2500 and 3500 are really getting old, with all new trucks coming next year.

Where are these Ram sales coming from? Is the market growing or is Ram stealing sales from Ford and GM?

Ram must have something that people want.

GM does not have the answer as the all-new Silverado is underwhelming, not even as good the F-150 is now.

I am not suggesting that Ram is smarter than Ford. Ram is a distant 3rd place, which makes Ram think outside the box.

As the industry leader, Ford follows the typical path, "just don't screw it up!". So Ford consistently stops at "good enough". We should push for more. Ford should be the best in class at everything, ride, handling, interior refinement, infotainment, etc.

Ford needs to add some people who do not use their trucks for work to its focus groups. Those people will never touch the maximum capabilities of these trucks, but do want all the latest electronic gizmos, and a luxury car ride.

Never good to have essentially flat sales in a growing market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.