Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice for suspension upgrade

Old 12-05-2018, 12:23 PM
EXSwap
Senior User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
I prefer the KYB monomax, it is a monotube design like the Bilstein but firmer valving then the Bilstein that is available for a stock height EX.

For a little less valving go with the Gabriel max control or the Bilstein 4600

the Bilstein 5100 is on par with the monomax but they donít make a rear one for a stock heigh Ex ( and they cost 2x as much )
X2 on the KYB Monomax....Pirate is much more technologically advanced than I am, so my reasons are a little different: They last a heck of a long time (I have 100K+ on a set and they need replaced), they're cheap and easy to find, and the ride is very nice. I have stock suspension and tire size and tow a camper (~8000 lbs) and a boat (~3500 pounds), and my rig is a daily driver mixed highway (potholes) and urban (potholes). I will say that around 90K miles, they started to get a little bouncy and they've been getting worse ever since. But, I'm still deciding on new leaf springs, so I'm not gonna change them until that decision has been made.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:03 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Exswap..

when you are ready to get new shocks shocks can I have one of your old ones to cut open and measure the shims, . I will pay shipping

camo

Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 PM
EXSwap
Senior User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
Exswap..

when you are ready to get new shocks shocks can I have one of your old ones to cut open and measure the shims, . I will pay shipping

camo
For sure! I'll dig back in my records and see if I can give you an exact mileage when they come off if that's of value.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:36 PM
dessmo
Freshman User
dessmo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for your sharing your advice and experience. Ordered a couple of KYB monomax and the doorman bumper from Rock Auto, they have reasonable pricing and shipping to Norway If that don't do it I have to consider upgrading the leaf springs.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
:Update us when you haveroad tested your new shocks

Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 AM
dessmo
Freshman User
:Update us when you haveroad tested your new shocks
Will do, I hope Santa bring some hard gifts before Christmas

Old 01-12-2019, 04:32 AM
dessmo
Freshman User
Installed KYB monomax front/rear and the doorman bumper. Huge improvement, much firmer both in low and high speed. The car feels a bit stiffer, but all in all I am very happy. Thanks for the advice and assistance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.