oil pan leaking rotting metal - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

oil pan leaking rotting metal

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 12-03-2018, 08:42 PM
edan oaks
New User
edan oaks is starting off with a positive reputation.

f 550 2008 has a leaking rotting oil pan... tried JB WELD last year but seems to have started leaking again? any other way than removing / lifting the engine to change this really dumb system for an oil can replace?!?

any creative suggestions?

Old 12-03-2018, 11:56 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Can you weld it

Old 12-25-2018, 09:26 AM
F350 1990
Elder User
F350 1990 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As an experienced welder with thousands of hours using every process, I can comfortably tell you it's darn near impossible to get a professional (long lasting) repair due to the fact you'll never get completely clean metal on that pan without pulling it.

I'd replace it -- AND I'd also replace that rear crankshaft seal (about 90% of the 6.0L and 6.4L engines out there leak at this location). If the seal is not leaking it will eventually (THEY ALL DO)

Remember to NOT reuse the flex plate / flywheel bolts -- a new set from Ford costs $10 (or from ARP about $50) ---and be mighty careful in there to not hurt (including scratching, gouging, etc) the flex plate/flywheel adapter on the end of the crank --- it will render the engine completely useless (these are factory balanced)........

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: