2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 super duty

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Lowmiler
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks

Things I don't like: The startup screen on the dash is Towing, even not hooked up??? The irritating beep-beep of the horn when you close the door with the engine running...
It will default to Tow screen on start up unless you go to the towing screen and deactivate the trailer. You'll also notice that until you deactivate the trailer in the menu, mileage keeps racking up on your stored active trailer even though you're not towing it.

Anyway, I purposely bought my 2019 F450 now because I didn't want to deal with first year 2020 teething issues, especially with a transmission.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Like changing underwear when it gets dirty, you change everything every 3 years when they are not selling and for the past 30+ years Ford has been outselling the rest of them.
i dont think you get my point. Ford made cosmetic changes to 83-97 trucks, but for the most part, many things were bolt on changes. Same with the 1999- 2016 super duty line...Which in my opinion is one of the reasons they are so well supported by consumer, industry accessories, aftermarket, etc. But now that ford made a major changeover(like in 1999), i really feel it would behoove them to stick with this line for an equal length of time like the examples I gave....

Old 12-12-2018, 12:44 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowmiler
It will default to Tow screen on start up unless you go to the towing screen and deactivate the trailer. You'll also notice that until you deactivate the trailer in the menu, mileage keeps racking up on your stored active trailer even though you're not towing it.

Anyway, I purposely bought my 2019 F450 now because I didn't want to deal with first year 2020 teething issues, especially with a transmission.
THANKS Bro, much obliged to ya, gonna go fix it now.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
i dont think you get my point. Ford made cosmetic changes to 83-97 trucks, but for the most part, many things were bolt on changes. Same with the 1999- 2016 super duty line...Which in my opinion is one of the reasons they are so well supported by consumer, industry accessories, aftermarket, etc. But now that ford made a major changeover(like in 1999), i really feel it would behoove them to stick with this line for an equal length of time like the examples I gave....
Oh no, not at all, I am agreeing with you 100%, Ford GETS IT!

Old 12-12-2018, 06:59 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Actually, GM outsold for for years since The Chebby and GMC lines were considered separate. Recently though, Ford has taken the overall lead.

Will the body style endure like the last SD series?
IMO, I highly doubt it.
A lot will change, and very fast. Automakers will have to change with it. New emission standards, economic conditions, the advent of electric powered trucks..
Old schoolers like us won’t be dictating design, the new generation will. Eek..

Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by George C
Actually, GM outsold for for years since The Chebby and GMC lines were considered separate. Recently though, Ford has taken the overall lead.

Will the body style endure like the last SD series?
IMO, I highly doubt it.
A lot will change, and very fast. Automakers will have to change with it. New emission standards, economic conditions, the advent of electric powered trucks..
Old schoolers like us won’t be dictating design, the new generation will. Eek..
Yea, just recently Ford has edged out the others...you might note that '54 Chevy in my sig, yep that was the main ranch truck, back recently when Chevy out sold Ford, I remember those days well...seems like only yesterday

Ford: F-series is best-selling truck for 40 years

by Aaron Smith @AaronSmithCNN

Ford has sold enough F-series trucks to circle the earth more than three times.

The F-series, best known for the popular F-150, has been America's best-selling truck for the 40 consecutive years since its launch, Ford announced Wednesday. Ford (F) says it's sold more than 26 million since the model line came out in 1977.

The F-series has also been the best-selling vehicle of any kind in America for 35 years, the company said.

Ford has sold 818,580 of the trucks in the years since it launched the F-series. It started with the F-100 as a base truck back in 1977, and replaced it with the F-150 in 1984.

The evolution of the F-series followed changes in how people perceived and used trucks. Like blue jeans, pickup trucks went from being something appropriate only for work to being a style and lifestyle statement of their own.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Texas state fair September 27

Old 12-13-2018, 02:25 AM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just hope they fix the width of the truck. Looks too narrow.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I don’t really agree with that. Most updates are minor, but the 2020 update will be fairly significant. Not sure why anyone would be waiting for a 2021 SD.
All you have to do is look at the 2018 F-150 to see what will change with the 2020 Super Duty. New grille, headlights, taillights, new tailgate, different rim options, and upgrades to engines and transmissions. In the grand scheme of things, it's exactly the same truck. And judging by the ten-speed transmission in the half tons, I'd prefer to keep the 6.

Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
What has changed (and Don alluded to) is the fact that trucks are now the single most important vehicle to the domestic manufacturers. They are the best sellers and bring in the most profit. Back in the era you are discussing, they were less important. People now think nothing of buying a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 truck for use as a commuter...because they look good, are roomy and comfortable, and go good in snow. And half tons have now become the minivan. So the competition is more fierce than ever and updates must come sooner.

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
The width is the same as all full size trucks have been for years: 80 inches.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:33 AM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
All you have to do is look at the 2018 F-150 to see what will change with the 2020 Super Duty. New grille, headlights, taillights, new tailgate, different rim options, and upgrades to engines and transmissions. In the grand scheme of things, it's exactly the same truck. And judging by the ten-speed transmission in the half tons, I'd prefer to keep the 6.
I agree.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Sonny Crockett
Tuned
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
The only truck wider is a Raptor. If it was any wider you'd have to drive with the mirrors folded.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:52 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett
The only truck wider is a Raptor. If it was any wider you'd have to drive with the mirrors folded.
Nah...I'm able to keep my dually between the lines fairly easily and it's 96" wide. Drive ups are a problem, though.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Nah...I'm able to keep my dually between the lines fairly easily and it's 96" wide. Drive ups are a problem, though.
I agree. After driving a dually for 22+ years, I can pretty much put it where I want it. At my apartment complex, the spaces were designed for cars and are exactly 8 feet wide - I can park my truck with the edge of the outside duals right to the stripe on their side every time... and yet people with compact cars/crossovers can't seem to center themselves

Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KCJackson1
I agree. After driving a dually for 22+ years, I can pretty much put it where I want it. At my apartment complex, the spaces were designed for cars and are exactly 8 feet wide - I can park my truck with the edge of the outside duals right to the stripe on their side every time... and yet people with compact cars/crossovers can't seem to center themselves
Duallys don’t fit at the car wash. In states where’s there hard water - keeping the monster clean is Hugh pain. A heavier SRW with 13,000 GVWR would be best. For $80k I should get what I want.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
Agree it looks odd. But, I think they need to fix the height. It is several inches too high. The whole truck needs to come down 2 to 3 inches. It's cur rent height, IMO, is a marketing ploy to make it look "lifted". But it is hard to get into and a problem for many 5th wheel owners.

Quick Reply: 2020 super duty