Mustang gas tank in a 56 f100 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang gas tank in a 56 f100

Old 12-03-2018, 05:14 AM
Brooksy1968
New User
Brooksy1968 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mustang gas tank in a 56 f100

Sorry if this has been brought up a million times in threads but not being computer savvy I am struggling to find them . My question is , what year mustang gas tank will fit between the rear rails on a 56. If you could point me to those threads or what to type in it would be much appreciated. Cheers. Mark.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Mark,
We followed Jniolin's approach for relocating the gas tank
out under the bed. His in depth thread is attached below....
We have a 1950 F1 with a 20 gallon '70 Mustang tank installed under the bed.
The positives are that it got that smelly tank out of the cab giving us more room
& it added 38% more range than our stock 16 gallon tank. The trade-off is the tank
makes it very difficult to run dual exhaust out the back & the fill pipe for this tank comes up in the bed...
If your truck bed is full of stuff you are hauling - filling it up isn't much fun. Picture my son Zack holding the couch
up in the air while I fill the tank. (We fill up with gas before our long haul projects now).

https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/mu...ankarticle.htm

I don't think the process is specific to a certain year of truck.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-03-2018, 06:40 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Mark,
A few quick items to highlight on relocating your tank out under the bed:

1) Shaving a little off the inside frame rail. To get the tank into place you
have to cut off 3/4 of an inch or so off the inside frame rail.

2) Relocating one cross member. In our application there are several
cross members under the bed. You have to relocate one of them to make room
for the tank.

3) Sending unit to Gas Gauge. You need to think through what gauges you are going to run
& make sure how they are going to talk to the gas tank sending unit. In our case the '70 sending unit
uses something like 11 ohms to 77 ohms for the full/empty reading. Your gauges need to use this same
standard or they won't read accurately how much gas is in the tank. Figure out this sending unit bit before installing
your new tank. We solved our problem by using a universal sending unit to talk to our modern autometer gauges.

Good luck over there. More folks will chime in to answer any questions you have.

4) Tank Venting. Jniolin's article highlights installing a small rollover venting tube on the tank.
In our case we live in Texas … a very hot place. You will need good venting for your tank to work right.
I highly recommend following Jniolin's example & installing this small vent to the top of the tank. Much easier to do this up
front then later after you have filled it with gas (ask me how I know).

This Gas Tank Relocation was one of the best mods we did to our truck. Here in Texas it's great to have 38% more range
& having that gas out back away from us gives us a much better cruising experience. Show us some pics when you
get chance so we can see what you are working on over there in Australia.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-04-2018, 03:58 AM
Brooksy1968
New User
Brooksy1968 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Mark,
A few quick items to highlight on relocating your tank out under the bed:

1) Shaving a little off the inside frame rail. To get the tank into place you
have to cut off 3/4 of an inch or so off the inside frame rail.

2) Relocating one cross member. In our application there are several
cross members under the bed. You have to relocate one of them to make room
for the tank.

3) Sending unit to Gas Gauge. You need to think through what gauges you are going to run
& make sure how they are going to talk to the gas tank sending unit. In our case the '70 sending unit
uses something like 11 ohms to 77 ohms for the full/empty reading. Your gauges need to use this same
standard or they won't read accurately how much gas is in the tank. Figure out this sending unit bit before installing
your new tank. We solved our problem by using a universal sending unit to talk to our modern autometer gauges.

Good luck over there. More folks will chime in to answer any questions you have.

4) Tank Venting. Jniolin's article highlights installing a small rollover venting tube on the tank.
In our case we live in Texas a very hot place. You will need good venting for your tank to work right.
I highly recommend following Jniolin's example & installing this small vent to the top of the tank. Much easier to do this up
front then later after you have filled it with gas (ask me how I know).

This Gas Tank Relocation was one of the best mods we did to our truck. Here in Texas it's great to have 38% more range
& having that gas out back away from us gives us a much better cruising experience. Show us some pics when you
get chance so we can see what you are working on over there in Australia.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Thanks Ben your a champion. That will help so much.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:24 AM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold

I put my filler in the fender I used a Chevy van tank 95 I think

Fuel filler

Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 AM
jbontke
Junior User
jbontke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Kudos to ben73058 for helping and not just telling people to go look. I can appreciate that!

Old 12-04-2018, 01:01 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Any year from '64.5 to '70 will work. They have different capacities. Stock the '64.5 - '68 are 16 gallon capacities, in '69 they came with a 20 gallon tank and in '70 they came with a 22 gallon tank. All tanks have the same footprint with the '69 and '70 tank rising higher above the the weld flange. On the Mustangs you can put any tank in any year with only some mods for the filler neck and different sending units but on the truck it will not matter.

Ben, great right up on your tank install but if your tank is 20 gallons, technically it is a '69 tank but it would also fit a '70 Mustang but with two less gallons than an original '70 tank. Not a big deal but a true '70 22 gallon tank is taller above the weld flange which could cause problems with clearance when mounting under the bed. (I currently own two 'stangs and have owned several others for the last 30 years, no expert but I have made plenty of mistakes)

Old 12-04-2018, 04:47 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
Hey Dave,
You are correct - our '70 tank is 22 gallons (I was asleep at the wheel).
We didn't face any problems installing this one... I really like it. We drive pretty long distances
here in Texas - it's nice to have almost 40% more capacity & range.

(Thanks Jbontke - Mark looked like he could use some help from our forum... plus I got to look up
UllaDulla Australia to see where it was. I was thinking it was out there by Ayers Rock).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-08-2018, 06:51 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman
tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.
Ben,
I 'm hanging a 22 Gal right now in my 52 F-1.
I see no way for the exhaust other in front of the rear wheel!
Any suggestions?

Old 12-08-2018, 07:26 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold

I added another xmember at the rear of the frame then boxed and moved the existing xmember too double as holding the one end of the tank that way I gained another 6 or so to the rear more room between tank and axle get the exhaust up and over the axle and swing joint to a 45 at the outer edge of the frame another 45 to the rear tip I followed the outer edge of the frame

Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
Hey Bill,
I couldn't see a straight forward way to make it happen. We went with a really
good (quiet) muffler & ran it out in front of the back wheel. I was worried it would
bother me … nope... no droning, not loud, it's fine. I like the look of dual exhausts out the back.
If you are motivated I think it can be done - I've seen a few people do it.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 PM
drptop70ss
Posting Guru
drptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tractormanbill View Post
Ben,
I 'm hanging a 22 Gal right now in my 52 F-1.
I see no way for the exhaust other in front of the rear wheel!
Any suggestions?
I was able to modify chevelle tail pipes to work. 1995 chevy van tank 22 gallon with side fill, full 2 1/2" exhaust. I lightened up the picture the best I could, pipes are painted black so not easy to see (that is why I paint them black)

Found some mock up pictures from when I was making them

Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 AM
ike55
Freshman User
ike55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went with a 95 gm van tank because I preferred a side fill as opposed to in the bed. I removed the rear cross member and will relocate it close to the end of the rails. The other thing I liked about the tank was that it was originally a fuel injection vehicle so it was set up for an internal fuel pump which is the preferred set up for the fuel injection system that I will be running. The tank is a bit bulky and hides a lot of my nice finned differential cover, but not many options with side fill. I hope to run my exhaust over r under the running boards. I don't have a picture of the tank installed but here is the frame mod for the filler hose.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman
tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.tractormanbill has a great reputation on FTE.
Tank

Fuel hole looks great.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 PM
willymakeit
Senior User
willymakeit is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used the 56 fillet neck and some gas hose and brought filler tube out between tailgate and bumper.
it works good plus I can fill from either side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.