Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To down size or not that is the question!

Old 12-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Jaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to behold
To down size or not that is the question!

Well I have reciently moved to Stamford Conneticut and no longer use my F250 for any type of work (did masonry and other jobs like that including haulage as required) and I have since traded the Mustang for a Jeep (I know blasphemy) and the Jeep provides a good utilitarian set up for the Stamford area, also I am 3 miles from work and my average speed does not ever exceed 25 MPH (40KMh) so there is that.

what would you guys do if you were in my shoes so to say? would you down size and if so why and to what? The other half says I should look into a smaller truck which to me still makes sense as it can be practical too, however part of me is wanting to possibly consider a van of some kind, again still practical and useable. my main concern is having a large truck that is just sitting in the driveway not being driven, and the fact that it is a big diesel it doesn't get much time to get nice and warm before i am at work....so what are your guys thoughts??

If I did down size I would want one of the following three (if possible)

Truck, van, or Excursion (or Similar SUV type vehicle) and manual transmission (preferably)

Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 AM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you aren't hauling heavy things, can deal with a 4'-6' bed and want a practical city truck; Get a double cab Tacoma, ditch the Jeep & call it good. You'd also wave bye-bye to fixing things because unless you are an idiot or stumble onto a lemon, Toyotas rarely, if ever, break.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Jaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to behold
I just got the Jeep and been wanting one, so I plan to keep it for a good minute, it has 4x4 and fits my current needs, however the truck is paid for

Old 12-02-2018, 11:33 AM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
yep. if we down size here, it will definitely be to a crew cab tacoma.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:01 PM
dn29626
Posting Guru
dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.
From my yard to workplace parking is about 7 miles. I proudly drive my truck daily, and have since 2001.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
I'm not good at suggesting what others should do because we all have different wants, needs, likes and dislikes and what works for me is rarely what would work for you. One thing that I wonder is...is this new situation permanent, or are you subject to something else in the not too distant future?

Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Walleye that is one of the things that I am uncertain of, that is why this decision is a bit difficult, as I still have the other house (we rent it out), and Im uncertain about the other halfs job, so I hope that answers your question, if not let me know

i understand that ultimately I can only make a decision based on my needs are but also welcome the input from others too

Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
well a van would be nice...........

Old 12-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I have a Prius, and it get stupid economy when the speed is 40 MPH and below. It's quiet, convenient, and the space in there is much larger than one expects. I'm 6' and gained a bunch of weight as I age, but I don't feel cramped. As for the back seat legroom, I keep my ice chest in the footwell. I carry a lot of tools and supplies (field tech) in the back, and the car gets it done. Of course I still have Stinky, because I tow, and go on long hauls (non-towing) in the winter. I say that just to let you know I have both worlds in the driveway, and the Prius has earned my respect.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 AM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
I have a Prius, and it get stupid economy when the speed is 40 MPH and below. It's quiet, convenient, and the space in there is much larger than one expects. I'm 6' and gained a bunch of weight as I age, but I don't feel cramped. As for the back seat legroom, I keep my ice chest in the footwell. I carry a lot of tools and supplies (field tech) in the back, and the car gets it done. Of course I still have Stinky, because I tow, and go on long hauls (non-towing) in the winter. I say that just to let you know I have both worlds in the driveway, and the Prius has earned my respect.

I had a Prius as a work vehicle for a while and loved it. I also know a few folks who bought them new and have had them for years, 150k+ miles with no battery issues. Those are great cars.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:34 PM
axmrdr
Senior User
axmrdr is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the truck is paid for then why would you want to get rid of it? I'm saying that to say this - if you are like me you'll need a truck more often than you think. You have a jeep to tool around in so just keep the truck to do the 'truck stuff'. Hey, it's your money/life and I'm no certified genius advise giver so do whatever you want.

Flip a coin to decide your choice. If you're upset at the results of the toss then you found your true answer.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Jaime74656 View Post
If I did down size I would want one of the following three (if possible)

Truck, van, or Excursion (or Similar SUV type vehicle) and manual transmission (preferably)
Not sure how you think replacing the truck with an Excursion is "downsizing" since they are the same chassis length as a crew cab short bed, just built with an enclosed bed and a third seat.

If you really want to downsize and keep a truck, consider an F150.

Stewart

Old 12-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
Since you just moved there, I’d wait at least 6 months. Especially if it’s paid for, runs great and you enjoy it...see how you feel in 6 months. I use mine mostly in summer to pull my Jeep and camper so in winter, I drive it on good weather days to keep seals soft.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:00 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
In the end none of our opinions will matter only yours will suffice in the end.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
​​​​​​
Trace Adkins wrote a good song about this.

Many have talked themselves into downsizing only to have regrets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.