04 F150 Question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

04 F150 Question

Old 11-30-2018, 07:46 PM
AustinFL
New User
AustinFL is starting off with a positive reputation.
04 F150 Question

Hey ya'll! First time posting here so let me know if this is in the wrong place.

I drive an 04 F150 Super Crew Lariat with the tow package. A buddy recently asked me if I could tow a truck he looking at. The truck is a 98 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 which can roll but is missing the rear driveshaft and has bad misfires. The truck I believe weighs about 6200 and the open car trailer (not mine) I assume weighs about 2500 (he hasn't given specifics on either). That's in the ball park of 8700 pounds. With a weight distributing hitch and trailer brake controller could this be doable for about a 150 mile drive on flat ground?

I would just get one of the u-haul dollies but we are trading his dirt bike and 4 wheeler for the truck and my short bed can't carry both the dirt bike and 4 wheeler.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
I think you're going to be way over the trailer capacity of your truck. I don't have the actual capacities for that model year. Check the out last post of this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...-capacity.html

Old 12-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Birdhunter1
Posting Guru
Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I think you'll be fine, my dad has an 07 2wd supercrew with a 4.6 and we've hauled that much weight and more further many times. He's had the truck since day one and it has 170,000 miles on it. Just don't be stupid and try to win a race on the highway, slowly accelerate, leave a big following distance and brake well ahead of what you normally would.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold
If you have a tow package on the pickup, yes. Brake controller, transmission cooler and all that. Make for sure the trailer brakes are in working order. You should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.