Electric Horns - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric Horns

Old 11-30-2018, 11:24 AM
AZAV8
Senior User
AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Electric Horns

What electric horns are you using? I want something loud and electric and reasonably compact. My hot rod truck will be a 12vdc negative ground system. I found these but I'm not sure I like the sound.

https://www.autoanything.com/car-hor...supertone-horn

What are you using? Thanks ahead of time for you responses.

Philip

Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM
AZAV8
Senior User
AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I also found these with a different deeper tone:

PIAA | Automotive Superior Bass Horn (330/400Hz) #85115

Philip

Old 11-30-2018, 11:41 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
I like the Wolo horns
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029XGNM/ref=twister_B00RCS5OSQ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029XGNM/ref=twister_B00RCS5OSQ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
The ones you have cited are more like the Euro-style horn and do not have the rich tone sound. IMHO

Old 11-30-2018, 03:00 PM
26tudor
Senior User
26tudor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.26tudor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used a pair of horns from a 67-72 ford truck nice and loud.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:15 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
hella's sound like a Prius horn..... cute and girly
Piaa's were like an import horn
Wolo's were louder but monotone... you need tuned horns (plural)
I agree with tudor.... salvage yard... truck horns or find a coupe/sedan deville those old caddy horns are the bomb.

I'm still looking for a deal on train horns but can visualize where to mount the compressor/tank and horns...

john

Old 11-30-2018, 07:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I too have always wanted the deep melodious two-tone horns used on big Caddy's of the 60's/70's. Very classy. I went to the boneyard and couldn't find any (all taken) so grabbed some off a big Lincoln. Not as classy but authoritative.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:00 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Posting Guru
HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.
i went to the junkyard also to buy my horns.i found a real nice pair of horns off of a buick roadmaster. they sound great.i only paid $20

Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 PM
hooler1
Senior User
hooler1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey Bob,

Do you remember what year of Roadmaster those horns came from?

Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 PM
AZAV8
Senior User
I've done a little more research on Cadillac horns. Ross the Caddy sound you are looking for is from the big cars (I don't know what models) is actually from a set of four horns and are musical notes of A, C, D and F. You can buy complete, reconditioned sets of all four with a warranty for around $90.00.

Philip

Old 12-04-2018, 05:50 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Posting Guru
HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.
hooler1, i dont remember but i think that they were of somewhere in the 80-90 range.not sure,good luck

Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
If memory serves me right, most all of the upscale GM cars had great sounding, loud horns. I believe the dual and triple tone horn was an option on some models. This includes six volt cars dating back into the 40s and 50s. I remember a particular1950 Buick that I was privy to ride in once in a while. having a horn that sounded with authority and a great radio.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by AZAV8 View Post
I've done a little more research on Cadillac horns. Ross the Caddy sound you are looking for is from the big cars (I don't know what models) is actually from a set of four horns and are musical notes of A, C, D and F. You can buy complete, reconditioned sets of all four with a warranty for around $90.00.

Philip
Thanks, I'll check them out! I used to work across the street from the Palmer House in downtown Chicago (upscale old hotel) and those big Fleetwoods and Model 75's would pull up to the curb and give a honk to let the doorman know they had arrived. Purely musical!

Not quite authentic, but this gives the idea:
(Go to 2:39 to skip to the sound)

Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=ALBUQ F-1 Purely musical!

Not quite authentic, [/QUOTE]

Nice sound Ross, and I love that he went to the trouble to give his ride the unique sound.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Wow! And I thought we were a little out there at times about our old trucks.
The Horn Guy on the video is mmm.... fixated on getting his horn to sound right.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.