1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need a radiator, which do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:11 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Also to add. Not sure what year you're working on, but my late 99 didn't come with a transmission cooler in the radiator. When I replaced it I went with a radiator that has the transmission cooler built in in case I ever decide that I need it. But 12 years of Towing a camper with a 6.0 cooler I've never needed a radiator cooler. I just sealed the plugs where the line fittings go in.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by jstihl
After doing a coolant flush this past weekend I now have a leaking radiator.
Please help me connect these two dots. What happened?

Old 11-30-2018, 02:26 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
J, what's your location?

Denny
I'm in Stuart Florida

Old 11-30-2018, 02:29 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Please help me connect these two dots. What happened?
that's exactly what I'm wondering. I have heard other people say that their injector cup started leaking right after doing a coolant flush with Delo ELC so I don't know if it has to do with the coolant or not. Also my oil cooler started leaking oil right after I did the coolant flush. Really sucks cuz now I have to do everything over again. I don't have any idea what I could have done wrong, seem like it was pretty straightforward

Old 11-30-2018, 02:53 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Well it turns out that Ford has to order radiator and I don't have that much time so looks like I'm going with a AutoZone unit. They are the only place with a lifetime warranty, thanks for the heads up pirate 4 X4. I figured with a lifetime warranty I got nothing to lose. other than time....

Old 11-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Well it turns out that Ford has to order radiator and I don't have that much time so looks like I'm going with a AutoZone unit. They are the only place with a lifetime warranty, thanks for the heads up pirate 4 X4. I figured with a lifetime warranty I got nothing to lose. other than time....
Jason makes sure it’s the same thickness as the OEM radiator.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:59 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Colorado said. I believe that there are two versions available, one is two rows of tubes and the other has three.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Also to add. Not sure what year you're working on, but my late 99 didn't come with a transmission cooler in the radiator. When I replaced it I went with a radiator that has the transmission cooler built in in case I ever decide that I need it. But 12 years of Towing a camper with a 6.0 cooler I've never needed a radiator cooler. I just sealed the plugs where the line fittings go in.
I too have a 99F250 with V10 and switched mine out for the radiator with the Transmission cooler and Ford Gold a couple years ago. Much better transmission temps afterwards. The lines are fairly reasonably priced, however I did have to make a zip tie contraption seperating them.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:24 PM
3fordasho
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the input guys! Going to try to salvage my new coolant, where do you guys find cheesecloth at? Can't seem to find any stores that know what I'm talking about

I've used funnel shaped paint strainers for filtering coolant many times, works well. I pick up my strainers at any autobody supply store. Just pop it in a standard plastic funnel and pour your coolant thru both strainer and funnel into radiator or other storage container.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:35 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts

NP, truth be told even with the lifetime warranty I was uneasy about it at first. after comparing it to my OEM I wouldn’t be surprised to learn it was made in the same Chinese factor as the ford unit. One very hot summer later it has worked as it should, I suppose only 17 years will tell if it last as long as the stocker did.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:14 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Colorado350

Jason makes sure it’s the same thickness as the OEM radiator.
will do, thanks for the heads up john. Got everything out last night( a lot easier than I thought), and plan on putting the radiator back in , along with r&r the oil cooler today. Now that I think about it I'm kind of happy that both of these things happened at once

Old 12-01-2018, 10:49 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your truck is manual, consider a welded aluminum radiator. The ZF6 tranny cooler/warmer is integral to the radiator and a critical point of failure.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:00 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
will do, thanks for the heads up john. Got everything out last night( a lot easier than I thought), and plan on putting the radiator back in , along with r&r the oil cooler today. Now that I think about it I'm kind of happy that both of these things happened at once
Anytime, at Least you’re wrenching in Florida weather and not in the 30’s or worse... Remember pictures or it never happened.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:38 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NAPA should have lifetime as well, and better parts than VatoZone. It's worth checking.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:01 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by beef ****
NAPA should have lifetime as well, and better parts than VatoZone. It's worth checking.
I did, Napa only had a one or two year warranty unfortunately. AutoZone seems to be the only place with a lifetime warranty I made sure that there were no stipulations before I bought it . The one from AutoZone seems to be of decent quality and almost looks a smidgen thicker than the stock one. Praying that it holds up since I do a lot of Towing

Quick Reply: Need a radiator, which do you guys recommend?