2018 6.7L Main Bearing Failure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2018 6.7L Main Bearing Failure

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-29-2018, 08:36 PM
willisar
New User
willisar is starting off with a positive reputation.

I recently purchased a 2018 F350 with the 6.7L and had an issue with a small knocking sound at all RPMs. Well I took it into Ford and they ran diagnostics, then pulled the oil pan to find metal shavings all over. Apparently the main bearing failed, and they need to replace the engine, with only 3000 miles on it. My question to you all is:

1.) Do you hear of this happening very often?
2.) How long do you think that it normally takes to replace a short block 6.7L?

Hopefully I was just "lucky" as all of my other Fords have been running a very long time without issues.

I'm also feeling a bit apprehensive about accepting new vehicle with a replaced engine. Don't they need to pull the entire cab and connect many many harnesses? This seems like a huge job that could be prone to error.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:47 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
From the forums I have read and participate (4), the bearings are not a common problem. There have been some rod bearing failures but do not recall any main bearing failures.

I do not think it is a common failure. I think it is one of those that happens infrequently but does and can happen.

If they readily can get a a short or long block might be the issue. You will have to ask the parts manager or the service manager that question. If they can get one, i would say 7 days or less counting the wait for the short/long block if they are available.

Yes, they will "lift" the cab. That is common procedure on many trucks regardless of brand.

i would try to get them to replace the long block as metal particles have circulated thought out all the oil passages. Ask them to contact Ford and see if they will do a long block.

JMHO...and 2 cents....others may have different opinions....and might know first hand....

Old 11-29-2018, 11:17 PM
willisar
New User
Thanks for the information. I didn't even think about the metal shavings circulating through the upper engine.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:29 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
There was another forum member with a similar experience. Maybe in the 2017+ subforum. I think he ended up with a new engine (short? long? Not sure) and an extended warranty.

You could think of it as you went in for an oil change and got a free engine and a free oil change out of it. I wouldn't be happy but I wouldn't be down on the truck. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2018, 02:47 PM
willisar
New User
That is a good way to look at it @HRTKD. That would probably make it sit better with me knowing that I could have metal shavings sitting in the oil channels in the upper engine.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
With a major failure on a 2018 with 3000mi I would try to get a new Truck instead of a new engine.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
The lifting of the cab has been a common way to do major engine repairs for some time. They have a procedure to do this and it only takes about an hour for an experienced tech.

I'd advocate for a new truck myself, but would accept a long block replacement and extended warranty.

A short block is a no go imho.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:57 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
A rare manufacturing defect is my guess. The 6.7L has been a good engine. Length of time varies depending on parts sourcing and service department workload but a good dealer would schedule and prioritize this repair. If I couldn't get a new truck from Ford, a long block and the diesel ESP at a minimum if your dealer's truck service department has a good reputation. Plus their most meticulous master tech. I have no idea what Ford (procedures) will actually approve but this is Ford's issue to make right.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:46 PM
agpopp
Senior User
agpopp is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a new to me 16, and I found out after I bought it, it had a short block at 26 miles. I bought last month with 32k on the clock. It had no other oasis entries after the engine besides something on the interior. The tech must have done a great job, original report is noise and grinding, only 4 quarts of oil drained out. It wasn't sold until June of 16 and this happened in February so it was broke off the truck. Engine has a 100k warranty so really what's the difference .

Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by agpopp View Post
I have a new to me 16, and I found out after I bought it, it had a short block at 26 miles. I bought last month with 32k on the clock. It had no other oasis entries after the engine besides something on the interior. The tech must have done a great job, original report is noise and grinding, only 4 quarts of oil drained out. It wasn't sold until June of 16 and this happened in February so it was broke off the truck. Engine has a 100k warranty so really what's the difference .
26 miles on it, it probably never made it on the truck before that engine was changed. Probably discovered during final testing.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Depends on the random QC selection (there will be a tag in the cab). After mine arrived and the dealer took it to get a tank of fuel, it had 4.2 miles on it.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
Depends on the random QC selection (there will be a tag in the cab). After mine arrived and the dealer took it to get a tank of fuel, it had 4.2 miles on it.
Agreed a new vehicle shouldn't have more than 10mi on it. It goes from the plant to a rail car then to a semi trailer to the dealer lot. My truck was a leftover 16 that was transfered from another dealer out of state and after my 6 mile test drive I drove it off the lot with 24 miles on it. I suspect the higher mileage on my truck was due to the 11 months it sat on a dealers lot and was moved around, or possibly was test driven a time or two.

My wifes car had 6mi on it before the test drive. Build date was 30 days prior to purchase.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 PM
agpopp
Senior User
agpopp is starting off with a positive reputation.
26 miles isn't unheard of. The engine was repaired at the selling dealer so it made it off the truck.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:48 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
My purchase records show 92 miles but that's because my sales person handed me the keys and said "just bring it back tomorrow and pay for it." LOL.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:08 AM
willisar
New User
Just an update to this adventure. Ford called me this week and informed me just my vehicle does not qualify for a replacement. I mentioned the dealer plans on replacing the engine with a short block after finding metal in the oil pan and they responded “oh, well let me talk to my tech about that and get back to you next week.”

I have not heard anything back from the dealer after the initial conversation with the maintenance manager who stated “you own the vehicle, this is what we are doing to fix it.”

There seems to be a resounding response that you shouldn’t be replacing a diesel with anything less than a long block if you find metal in the oil. I also called another dealer that I have work done on my 7.3L and they had a similar opinion.

I really hope that this gets resolved. If it really is as rare as everyone says it is, I don’t know why they don’t just offer to replace the vehicle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: