Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 Lariat SCab 5.0 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:03 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Lariat SCab 5.0 questions

Hey guys...happy belated Turkey Day. I'm still full....

I hate to start one of these type threads, but I've done some searching and come up with very little. Let's talk 2015 F150's. They are a solid 3+ years on the road now. How are they doing? Any real trouble? I found the frozen door lock issue come up several times. The 5.0 motor is what I'm interested in - seem pretty reliable from what I'm seeing. I guess I'm trying to find out if there were any real troubles being that the 2015 was a first year for a brand new design.

Here's the reason I'm asking. I'm ready for a new truck, but not opposed to a lightly used, pre-owned. I found one locally that is pretty much exactly how I would order a truck:
Lariat, SuperCab, 5.0, 3.73 w/ elec.locker, Magnetic Grey, 6.5 foot bed (would like an 8 foot, but this is OK), Its got Navigation, BLIS, Line-X liner, Tonneau cover, Tailgate step, even has the Trailer Tow mirrors.

Mileage is at 24,600...the local Ford dealer has it returned off a 3 year lease and its in very, very nice condition. It has several options you don't normally find on the dealer lot (at least in my area). Even has a snow plow package...I won't mind the stiffer front springs.

Or......................just buy new. Lots of updates now: 5.0 motor is tweaked a bit, 10 speed tranny, Sync 3. I'm sure there are other updates but those are the ones that stood out. Any other compelling reasons?

I do seem to keep trucks a bit longer now. I'd like to go 8 to 10 years. I've had my current one 10 years...bought it as a 2 year old 15K mileage light-use truck.

Thanks in advance for any input...

Old 11-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Well....I bought a 2016 screw with the 5.0....... it has the 6 spd auto....I'm not sure about the 10 spd auto...some guys say it hunts too much for a gear.......my truck was bought new and was on the lot as a left over...it does have a 36 gallon gas tank option which is a nice feature (until you gotta fill it!)........ I have had it for 2 years now and I love it......I think what ever you decide you will be satisfied.......

Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been happy with mine,, after getting a few problems solved.. And doing most of the neat Forscan mods to it. I have put 37,000 miles on her. I think you lose somethings with the plow package so best you check that out. The 15’s don’t have the sync3 center stack but I have been happy with the sync2.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:34 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jafo56
Well....I bought a 2016 screw with the 5.0....... it has the 6 spd auto....I'm not sure about the 10 spd auto...some guys say it hunts too much for a gear.......my truck was bought new and was on the lot as a left over...it does have a 36 gallon gas tank option which is a nice feature (until you gotta fill it!)........ I have had it for 2 years now and I love it......I think what ever you decide you will be satisfied.......
I think I read some things about the 10 speed hunting as well. Hmm...

Originally Posted by rmccbride
I have been happy with mine,, after getting a few problems solved.. And doing most of the neat Forscan mods to it. I have put 37,000 miles on her. I think you lose somethings with the plow package so best you check that out. The 15’s don’t have the sync3 center stack but I have been happy with the sync2.
Thanks for the feedback - there are always folks that never buy a first year for anything. It seems you haven't really had any troubles in that regard, so that's great news! You have a 3.55 rear diff...that seems like a great happy-medium. You getting decent fuel economy? It's GOT to be better than I get with my 2006 5.4L.

I wondered about the Sync2 vs Sync3. I know the 3 is going to be more responsive/faster, etc., just not sure how much I would care. I'll look in to the plow package and what all that changes - thanks for the heads-up on that one.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:44 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The 10 speed is no big deal. I reminds me of being like in tow-haul all the time. It does give more control in engine braking down hills and curves. It's like there is not as much coast before it shifts down. No big deal, you get used to it, just like the auto-stop-start.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by fzrider998
Hey guys...happy belated Turkey Day. I'm still full....

I hate to start one of these type threads, but I've done some searching and come up with very little. Let's talk 2015 F150's. They are a solid 3+ years on the road now. How are they doing? Any real trouble? I found the frozen door lock issue come up several times. The 5.0 motor is what I'm interested in - seem pretty reliable from what I'm seeing. I guess I'm trying to find out if there were any real troubles being that the 2015 was a first year for a brand new design.

Here's the reason I'm asking. I'm ready for a new truck, but not opposed to a lightly used, pre-owned. I found one locally that is pretty much exactly how I would order a truck:
Lariat, SuperCab, 5.0, 3.73 w/ elec.locker, Magnetic Grey, 6.5 foot bed (would like an 8 foot, but this is OK), Its got Navigation, BLIS, Line-X liner, Tonneau cover, Tailgate step, even has the Trailer Tow mirrors.

Mileage is at 24,600...the local Ford dealer has it returned off a 3 year lease and its in very, very nice condition. It has several options you don't normally find on the dealer lot (at least in my area). Even has a snow plow package...I won't mind the stiffer front springs.

Or......................just buy new. Lots of updates now: 5.0 motor is tweaked a bit, 10 speed tranny, Sync 3. I'm sure there are other updates but those are the ones that stood out. Any other compelling reasons?

I do seem to keep trucks a bit longer now. I'd like to go 8 to 10 years. I've had my current one 10 years...bought it as a 2 year old 15K mileage light-use truck.

Thanks in advance for any input...
Sounds like a nice truck.
Is it a 502A Lariat?
Knowing what I know now, I`d look for a 2016 or 17. Since you said that you`re going to be keeping this truck for quite awhile and in my opinion, SYNC 3 is the main reason I`d bypass the 2015 F150`s. You can`t use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto within the MFT system in the 2015 F150. However, if the infotainment system in the vehicle is not important to you and if you can really look pass what the vehicle was used for or how hard it was used because you said it has the snow plow package and if the price is just too good to pass up, you should jump on it but not before you have the vehicle inspected by an outside technician/mechanic that you trust. You should also pull a CarFax report and check the VIN.

You should also look at new vehicles because all new car dealers are trying to move 2018 inventory off the lot and this time of year as well as the end of the month, they`re desperate.

One last thing, if a stock leather interior is not very important to you and you can do without some features that are only available on Lariat and above trim level F150`s, you should really take a look at a XLT. Remember, "only" a Lariat with the "502A" package as well as higher trim level F150`s come stock with the OEM "LED" headlights. No other trim level F150 can get this feature from the factory.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The LED headlights are a very important thing to me that I forgot list to make sure you try to get, along with the 36 gallon tank, tailgate step, ACC.. All these nice things still don’t stop me from missing my 2002 with it’s nice handling, smooth ride and very comfortable seats..

Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a '15 SCAB with the 5.0 and have had no problems at all with 47k miles on it.

You mention a stiffer suspension with the plow prep package. Actually, the suspension is the same with or without the package. It only shuts down some of the electronics to limit draw on the electrical system.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:14 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
What's the dealership asking for the 2015?

I have been more than happy with my truck, I paid $33K OTD and i couldn't have gotten an equivalent 2018 for that price, plus I still have 10K on the factory warranty. Also my truck was optioned with Sync 3 and I like it a lot - wife's 2011 Explorer has the original sync in it and while it's not terrible, it's still not the best.

Also just a little tidbit, local dealership had two 2018 Supercab 8 ft bed trucks a few months back, both white with the 5.0. I don't think I've ever actually seen one of them in person out on the road.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:12 AM
fzrider998
Senior User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sounds like a nice truck.
Is it a 502A Lariat?
Knowing what I know now, I`d look for a 2016 or 17. Since you said that you`re going to be keeping this truck for quite awhile and in my opinion, SYNC 3 is the main reason I`d bypass the 2015 F150`s. You can`t use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto within the MFT system in the 2015 F150. However, if the infotainment system in the vehicle is not important to you and if you can really look pass what the vehicle was used for or how hard it was used because you said it has the snow plow package and if the price is just too good to pass up, you should jump on it but not before you have the vehicle inspected by an outside technician/mechanic that you trust. You should also pull a CarFax report and check the VIN.

You should also look at new vehicles because all new car dealers are trying to move 2018 inventory off the lot and this time of year as well as the end of the month, they`re desperate.

One last thing, if a stock leather interior is not very important to you and you can do without some features that are only available on Lariat and above trim level F150`s, you should really take a look at a XLT. Remember, "only" a Lariat with the "502A" package as well as higher trim level F150`s come stock with the OEM "LED" headlights. No other trim level F150 can get this feature from the factory.
Good questions. It is a 501A Lariat, so no LED lights....which was certainly a letdown (I wasn't sure from the angle of the pictures whether it had LEDs...they emailed me the Window Sticker and sure enough, no LEDs). I hear you on the Sync3...its not a major item for me, but the other part of me thinks the Sync3 will be much more "upgradeable" several years down road as features get added.

I did review the carfax and its clean.

The price tag on the dealer lot is $34.9K, which basically is 30% off the $49.5K original window sticker.

While the truck has the snow plow package, I highly doubt it was used as a plow truck for some reason. It looks babied...not that that really means anything - could have been well taken care of is all.

Also, I don't need a Lariat, but do prefer it. If I ordered / found a new Lariat on the dealer lot, they are well into the $55K range on the window sticker...and many still do not have LED headlights. I've lived with halogens this long, I'm not spending 8K in options for things I don't necesarily need just to get the nice headlights.

Thanks all for the input - very helpful.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:18 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
If you could negotiate $35-36K OTD on that truck that would be a pretty nice deal IMO. Like I said I paid $33K for mine, had 19,700 miles on it when I bought it but it looked new and even still smelled new on the inside. And I think I did pretty well.

On a new 2018 $35K will barely get you an XLT, if that...maybe an optioned up STX (local lots have 5.0 STX's for around $35K)

Old 11-29-2018, 03:08 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
A lot of stuff deleted... Get which ever one is the best value and fits your needs. My original post referenced DI motors, not relevant to the 5.0

Scott

Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
Thanks again for the feedback, guys. I'm going to see if I can't get to the dealer and look the truck over next week. I doubt it'll go anywhere too quick...then again, never know.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Word of caution...the 2015 Supercabs got low marks on the head on overlap collision testing. Some support bar or something that was included in the crew cabs but not the supercabs.

They fixed the issue for 2016.