Sponsored by: DP Tuner

need inputs on how to prolong tranny life on a F550

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
1. NO. It is not at all necessary, nor even desired, to keep the transmission temps under 160F constantly. Have a look at my transmission gauge as an example:

Have a look at the range of temps and the color coding of the gauge. 160F is in the yellow, just like 245F is in the yellow. There is such a thing as transmission fluid being not warm enough. 175F is considered by many experienced operators to be optimal, and our resident retired Ford automatic transmission engineer who spent much of his career monitoring transmission fluid temperatures for automatics during development, has repeatedly reiterated that anything under 220F is safe. In fact, the 4R100 can endure temps up to 250F for brief periods of time (about 30 minutes). I raise eyebrows when the temp reaches 200F, but 160F I would consider not warm enough yet.

2. YES. And that advice was listed as #1 for a reason. I bought a couple of F550's with the 7.3L... the first one I got for me, and the next one I ordered for a small company I consult. The company president didn't want to spring for 4x4, despite my strongly advocated advice that it would save the company money in the long run, due to the gear reduction utility of the transfer case. The company 550 is now on it's 4th transmission. My 550 is still on it's original transmission, with no work done to it other than fluid changes. Every catastrophic transmission failure to the company 550 happened when backing up loaded, but not overloaded, as the trailer is only an air compressor, which is less weight than the chipper you probably pull.

You'll know when to throw it in 4 LO. You'll feel it as the torque converter winds up without you going anywhere... not from a lack of traction... but rather from the presence of traction which cannot be overcome by the 4R100's too tall of gearing. That's where the 2.71:1 reduction remedies the problem.

3. To OD or not to OD is a driver input that manages more than just the transmission. That decision is also a way to manage exhaust gas temperatures when climbing steep hills while loaded, and is furthermore a way to mitigate brake overload on the descent, as it is said that a hill should be descended one gear lower than the gear needed to climb the hill. Again, you will feel when OD is getting in your way climbing, but you will not see your exhaust gas temperatures without another gauge (pyrometer), which I highly recommend. Since the 4.88 ratio is a different animal than the 3.73 or 4.10 gearing in your F-350s, you may find less of a need to shift out of OD afterall.

I shouldn't say "need", I should rather say desire. The transmission is automatic, and will automatically drop out of OD when the computer finally compares the inputs it receives with the look up tables and commands programmed into it's calibration. But the obvious issue is, the PCM does not have a forward looking camera with an image processor that can interpret the road ahead, or the intent of the driver. Hence the "need" sometimes to help the computer out a little, since we know where we are going and have a windshield view.

4. Correct. Performance tunes do not prolong transmission life. Some performance tunes, even so called towing tunes, are strongly suspected to reduce transmission life.

5. The major missing element of your summary is whether or not you have an Oil To Water transmission cooler in your radiator, and whether or not you have an Oil to Air transmission cooler that is larger than what originally came with the 1999 F-550. The presence of these coolers is CRITICAL to your transmission life, and should be included in any summary of actions you take to preserve your transmission.
I have a F-450 and and also run a tree service, I commonly haul a large dump trailer full of logs & noticed that it is always difficult to backup when I am not on pavement. I tried putting it in 4 Low when backing up on a soft dirt road today and I could not believe the difference! I wish I would have known about this a long time ago. I didn't realize that you can put in 4 Low without locking the hubs, is this the same for going forward? When do you absolutely have to lock the hubs?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by eyyu
Y2KW57,
I took the rubber cover of the heat exchanger pack and try to find out exactly what I have, here is what I found out.
I do have the oil to water radiator. ATF line from the tranny, goes into the OTW cooler then comes out into the factory quarter sized ATF cooler. It then enters into a smallish ~2" inline filter before goes back to the tranny. So, I think that this is really good news for me. I'll just have to see how well the system works in the heat of the summer, working hard. Thanks again for all the helpful insights.
hey eyyu, I haul logs and chips for a living also and I can tell you that putting the 6.0 cooler in is easy and well worth the money! It made a huge difference on my trans Temps. If I were you the first thing I would do is put a good intake on your truck and get the 6.0 cooler. You'll be glad you did. Those are two things that will definitely help the longevity of your truck

Old 12-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,326 Likes on 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by jstihl
I have a F-450 and and also run a tree service, I commonly haul a large dump trailer full of logs & noticed that it is always difficult to backup when I am not on pavement. I tried putting it in 4 Low when backing up on a soft dirt road today and I could not believe the difference! I wish I would have known about this a long time ago. I didn't realize that you can put in 4 Low without locking the hubs, is this the same for going forward? When do you absolutely have to lock the hubs?
When do you absolutely have to lock the hubs? When you have lost traction, or anticipate losing traction, on the rear axle... and want the front axle to assist in transmitting power to the ground due to the slippage of the rear axle. Or when you want to "exercise" the lubricant in the front axle. Other than that, I cannot think of another situation when you "absolutely have to lock the front hubs" for those of us with manual locking front axles, which is all that F-450/550's were equipped with during the 1999-2003 era.

Because my F-550 has a TruTrac helical gear traction assisting differential (the OEM Limited Slip), I have never needed the front drive axle to transmit power to the ground, so I only lock the front axle to exercise the lubricant occasionally. I probably should do that this week, as it has been a while. I only do that on soft/slippery surfaces by the way, to prevent driveline bind.

By contrast, I manually shift the 4x4 lever on the floor into 4 LO routinely, in both forward and reverse, when I can see or feel that the auto transmission will be stressed. I use it on pavement and soft ground alike, but find that more typically, I encounter resistance off pavement far more frequently than on pavement. I park the truck off road, in what in winter turns into more or less a mud field, so there are times when 4LO (in 2wd) simply helps the transmission move the truck to the pavement with less strain. I then shift the trans to neutral, throw the lever back into 2 Hi, and roll on my merry way.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:37 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts

The factory stall speed in our stock torque converters has been well argued to have been set too high for our diesel engines, so that is one reason why I'm very curious what RPMs you are running on these switch backs when you have manually locked up? I'm curious if you dropped from D to 2, or dropped from 2 to 1, would your calibration lock up your converter automatically at the increase of RPM, regardless of your road speed being below 32, based on the calibration sensing engine load? I'm also curious about not only the loss of torque multiplication with the manual on demand lockup switch, but also the loss of the fluid "fuse" between the connecting rods and gravity's power pulling the trailer down the hill while the truck is trying to pull it up the hill.
With the converter locked it would be a direct coupling just like with a manual transmission, when mine was an auto I had a converter lockup switch and I used it all the time. As for the RPMs the formula is
RPM= MPH x Transmission gear ratio x Axle gear ratio x 336 Divided by tire diameter
Or you can use this Gear Ratio Calculator

Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

When do you absolutely have to lock the hubs? When you have lost traction, or anticipate losing traction, on the rear axle... and want the front axle to assist in transmitting power to the ground due to the slippage of the rear axle. Or when you want to "exercise" the lubricant in the front axle. Other than that, I cannot think of another situation when you "absolutely have to lock the front hubs" for those of us with manual locking front axles, which is all that F-450/550's were equipped with during the 1999-2003 era.

Because my F-550 has a TruTrac helical gear traction assisting differential (the OEM Limited Slip), I have never needed the front drive axle to transmit power to the ground, so I only lock the front axle to exercise the lubricant occasionally. I probably should do that this week, as it has been a while. I only do that on soft/slippery surfaces by the way, to prevent driveline bind.

By contrast, I manually shift the 4x4 lever on the floor into 4 LO routinely, in both forward and reverse, when I can see or feel that the auto transmission will be stressed. I use it on pavement and soft ground alike, but find that more typically, I encounter resistance off pavement far more frequently than on pavement. I park the truck off road, in what in winter turns into more or less a mud field, so there are times when 4LO (in 2wd) simply helps the transmission move the truck to the pavement with less strain. I then shift the trans to neutral, throw the lever back into 2 Hi, and roll on my merry way.
well said Y2K, just wish I would have known that a long time ago. Thanks again for the great advice, truck pulls and pushes much better on soft ground. I used to only used four wheel when I absolutely had to because I didn't want to get out and lock the hubs, LOL

Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 AM
dmd
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about a BTS or Woods valve body? That would make it last longer too, but need to see if it has one on the rebuild

Old 12-08-2018, 09:26 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lucky me today! A total con incident, I went to a local tranny shop do do a inspection with a friend and found out that the shop did the tranny work on my new 99 f550 over a year and 4000 miles ago. The manager gave me a print out of the work done. So good news is that indeed the tranny was rebuilt. Not so good news is that it’s not a 6500 dollar job as claimed, instead the shop charged 2500. The shop looks very professional to me. Hope they did a quality install.

trying to upload the printout. Does not seem to work. It said remanufactured TC $395, new valve pack &220, master rebuild kit $150, at least 15 more other parts like seals, coast band, roller clutch, etc. labor charge $1050.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Got the OBDLink MX+ and finally got it to read ford enhanced PIDs this morning. It’s comforting to see that the factory tune for the f550 locks and unlucks the torque converter at 30 mph. So if I meet the speed higher than that I’ll b fine. However, the full sized 6.0L atf cooler is on my list

Old 12-16-2018, 03:34 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Question: where is the best place to buy the 6.0 atf cooler kit that I can easily install myself. Thx