Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAC tube. Today it's my turn

Old 11-26-2018, 02:20 PM
polarlys
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polarlys is starting off with a positive reputation.
CAC tube. Today it's my turn

Well it finally happened just as predicted. Just turned 70k on a bone stock 2015 F350 and as I was accelerating to join traffic a loud BOOM from under the hood. Truck continued to run but with little to no turbo boost. The CEL didn't come on until I started it up after lunch and drove home. Truck seems to run OK and not in limp mode but noticeably lighter on acceleration. I'll make an appointment now with Ford and see how long for them to get me in. Hopefully it's covered under the extended warranty.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
In the mean time...I would go ahead and order an aftermarket CAC. I installed one from Rudy's. Well pleased with form, fit and function. Cost was $150 with free shipping. Might be slightly higher now.

They now have one that uses one metal tube and the lower half is silicone tube. List is approx $170 for it. Part number is DP0136-POL. On eBay, there are some for approx $100.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...-POL+&_sacat=0

Old 11-26-2018, 06:21 PM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Completely agree on buying a Rudy's, H&S new style, Mishimoto or AFE and forget the factory one as there is NO set mileage to go BOOM! Mine went at 23k miles.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:18 PM
polarlys
Senior User
polarlys is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I spoke with the Ford service desk and my truck is done. I guess I'll get more information when I pick it up tomorrow but they fixed the cold air line. I'll bet they simply re-connected it but got my fingers crossed that they somehow made it better. They also found the code from the other week that set off the CEL and did that one too. That was something to do with the crankcase ventilation so hopefully killed 2 birds with one stone here. If the cold air tube pops off again I'll know that Ford didn't care and then I'll go on the aftermarket and get it done properly but for the time being I'll give Ford a chance to get it right.

ThanX and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

Roger from NJ

Old 11-27-2018, 03:34 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
You should be able to see if the CAC duct has been replaced (it's visually cleaner). Those don't pop off, they crack open. I replaced mine with OEM in a rush (didn't research the good options here). So far it has been fine.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:23 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by polarlys View Post
Well I spoke with the Ford service desk and my truck is done. I guess I'll get more information when I pick it up tomorrow but they fixed the cold air line. I'll bet they simply re-connected it but got my fingers crossed that they somehow made it better. They also found the code from the other week that set off the CEL and did that one too. That was something to do with the crankcase ventilation so hopefully killed 2 birds with one stone here. If the cold air tube pops off again I'll know that Ford didn't care and then I'll go on the aftermarket and get it done properly but for the time being I'll give Ford a chance to get it right.

ThanX and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

Roger from NJ
I would go ahead and buy one and not wait on it to fail again....you might have family with you and be in middle of night or....it is cheap insurance...

Old 11-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Bohen
Elder User
Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
In the mean time...I would go ahead and order an aftermarket CAC. I installed one from Rudy's. Well pleased with form, fit and function. Cost was $150 with free shipping. Might be slightly higher now.

They now have one that uses one metal tube and the lower half is silicone tube. List is approx $170 for it. Part number is DP0136-POL. On eBay, there are some for approx $100.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...-POL+&_sacat=0

This one that is on eBay isn't this actually from Rudy's and did yours come with instructions ?

Old 11-28-2018, 04:18 AM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
I would go ahead and buy one and not wait on it to fail again....you might have family with you and be in middle of night or....it is cheap insurance...
I learned a valuable lesson from Rodney's failure on the interstate and bought a second stock tube. Mine also failed on the interstate on a Friday afternoon and since I had the other tube with me, I was back on the road in less than 15 minutes. However, after Rodney and I talked for days and then researching it, I didn't want to be in that position again. What if the tube had exploded with me merging onto the interstate or trying to get into a busy highway/roadway? It just wasn't worth the risk compared to the price of an upgrade.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:29 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bohen View Post
This one that is on eBay isn't this actually from Rudy's and did yours come with instructions ?
Yes, that is Rudy's on eBay. No it does not come with instructions. It is not a difficult install. There are a few threads on the install of the CAC with two metal pipes. Here is a link to when I installed mine recently. It is the two pipe versions.

Rudy's Cold Air Kit Install - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Bohen
Elder User
Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes, that is Rudy's on eBay. No it does not come with instructions. It is not a difficult install. There are a few threads on the install of the CAC with two metal pipes. Here is a link to when I installed mine recently. It is the two pipe versions.

Rudy's Cold Air Kit Install - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: