Water pump and radiator leak - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Water pump and radiator leak

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.

I've been battling an intermittent coolant leak for a few thousand miles. I never could pinpoint where it was coming from, but I knew it was behind the fan around the water pump area. I finally took it to the dealership to diagnose. They agreed it was the water pump, but the radiator was also apparently leaking. I hadn't seen the radiator leak even though I've been looking for a while.

Even though I'm deleted, they're warrantying the water pump. But they're not covering the radiator under warranty. Maybe because I'm at 40k miles? Either way, I'm having them fix both problems while they're in there. Total cost for the radiator replacement is $1576. My dealership is also providing a loaner F-150 at no charge.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:29 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Waterpump is covered under the engine warranty, while the radiator is under the 3yr/36K. Seems like they might be able to give you a break on the radiator labor, since they have to do some of the same work to replace the waterpump. Might be worth the ask? Too bad you didnt get it into the dealer 4k miles sooner....

Old 11-26-2018, 04:23 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
I believe the new replacement radiators leave out the top driver side bolt to prevent stressing the end cap.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
Waterpump is covered under the engine warranty, while the radiator is under the 3yr/36K. Seems like they might be able to give you a break on the radiator labor, since they have to do some of the same work to replace the waterpump. Might be worth the ask? Too bad you didnt get it into the dealer 4k miles sooner....
I asked about the additional labor for the radiator. They said with water pump replacements they just remove the fan shroud and fan and work behind the radiator. There isn't a whole lot of cross over. I find that a little hard to believe, but I've never done it. I imagine the water pump replacement without the radiator in the way will certainly make the warranty work cheaper!

This new radiator should come with a warranty, correct? It will get a thorough once-over before that warranty period ends.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I believe the new replacement radiators leave out the top driver side bolt to prevent stressing the end cap.
I just got everything back. I didn't check to see which bolts were on there from the factory, but it looks bolted up completely now.

Anybody know where the coolant level should be? Is it supposed to be between Min and Max when it's hot or cold?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:52 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine sits just under full line when cold about 3/4” above when at op temp.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Originally Posted by cangim View Post
Mine sits just under full line when cold about 3/4 above when at op temp.
I thought it should. That's what the manual says and that's where mine sat when new. After leaving the dealer, mine doesn't even register on the tank when warm.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Not surprising. it will take awhile to burp all the air out of the system. you'll have to add some for sure.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:52 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
dealer should have given you the balance of the container that was left over knowing that you will need more.

You can get it at walmart

Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
I had two gallons mixed up sitting on the shelf from when it was leaking. I've used a gallon so far topping the system off.

There is still a ton of coolant dropping on the suspension parts and onto the ground. Either the tech didn't get everything buttoned up correctly or it's residue from pulling the parts out.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:53 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
spay it all down so you can monitor it. Then maybe wipe it with grease rags.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Deuce40s View Post
I had two gallons mixed up sitting on the shelf from when it was leaking. I've used a gallon so far topping the system off.

There is still a ton of coolant dropping on the suspension parts and onto the ground. Either the tech didn't get everything buttoned up correctly or it's residue from pulling the parts out.
That doesn't seem right. When I had both replaced, I had to add maybe a half gallon. I second the idea of going to a carwash with underside wash to get it all off, then see where things stand. Doesn't sound like the tech pressure tested the system...

Old 01-16-2019, 04:38 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Deuce - Where was your water pump leaking from?

Walked out to start the truck this morning and found this.

Looking up from the bottom of the engine. Looks like it's dripping from the area above the lower radiator hose, which I assume is the water pump. I've also noticed an occasional slight whining sound as well.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Here is what mine looked like for a known primary water pump failure.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
To update my last post, I filled out the post-service survey very honestly. The dealership called me to discuss the issues I had with cleanliness and topping off the system. I'm not sure it'll do any good. I also noticed the tech scratched the crap out of the top of my painted bumper while messing with the grill. **** poor. So far I have not had any leaks since the repairs were made.

Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post
Deuce - Where was your water pump leaking from?

Looking up from the bottom of the engine. Looks like it's dripping from the area above the lower radiator hose, which I assume is the water pump. I've also noticed an occasional slight whining sound as well.
Yes, that looks like where mine was dripping from. The drips followed all the suspension components before dropping on the ground so the point of puddle would vary. It looks like you might have an oil leak as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: