V8 4.6L 194k Tune up - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

V8 4.6L 194k Tune up

Old 11-25-2018, 05:31 PM
bigbettyblue
New User
bigbettyblue is starting off with a positive reputation.
V8 4.6L 194k Tune up

First time truck owner (no exp): 04 f150 xlt triton 2wd with 4wd option V8 4.6L and 194k miles. Truck is in good shape. I have no history aside of regular maintenance on oil change. Im looking to do a tune up to keep this old baby running. I'd like to replace spark plugs and possibly flush fluids as a piece of mind. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Old 11-25-2018, 10:46 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
coil boots
upgrade FPDM
PCV valve
replace ALL vacuum hoses
fuel filter
If it still has the original alternator on it you will want to plan on a replacement as opposed to the eminent unplanned replacement.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:45 PM
bigbettyblue
New User
thank you for the feedback

Old 11-26-2018, 09:31 PM
rookiemistake
Senior User
rookiemistake is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does it pass emissions?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:38 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is a tutorial about changing the spark plugs:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ark-plugs.html
It is an absolute must to clean out the spark plug wells with compressed air before you remove the spark plugs. Dirt an debris collect down in there and can fall into the cylinder when the spark plug is removed. A long thin blow gun works great for this.

And be really careful with the connectors for the coils and injectors. They both have a latch that can be held in with your finger to remove them. If you break a latch, the connectors & pigtails are available at the parts store.

Start on a front one so you can easily see what you are doing and get it figured out before you get to the back where you can't see what you are working on. And about that, if you start on the passenger side front (#1) and work your way back, after you're done with that side the other side will be a cake walk.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If it still has the original alternator on it you will want to plan on a replacement as opposed to the eminent unplanned replacement.
Amen on that alternator!
get it rebuilt instead of replacing with aftermarket.

same forthe starter too.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:51 PM
bigbettyblue
New User
Thank you for the responses

Old 12-17-2018, 04:54 PM
lv2race
Posting Guru
lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Angry

Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Here is a tutorial about changing the spark plugs:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ark-plugs.html
It is an absolute must to clean out the spark plug wells with compressed air before you remove the spark plugs. Dirt an debris collect down in there and can fall into the cylinder when the spark plug is removed. A long thin blow gun works great for this.

And be really careful with the connectors for the coils and injectors. They both have a latch that can be held in with your finger to remove them. If you break a latch, the connectors & pigtails are available at the parts store.

Start on a front one so you can easily see what you are doing and get it figured out before you get to the back where you can't see what you are working on. And about that, if you start on the passenger side front (#1) and work your way back, after you're done with that side the other side will be a cake walk.
I used the Harbor Freight extended air nozzle yesterday and it worked great, just remove the black tip prior to use unless you want to fish it out of the spark plug well (like I had to). Wear safety glasses too.

New air filter, get cans of throttle body cleaner and MAF cleaner and clean both. Check brake pad thickness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.