Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Left Rear Break Line Popped Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:34 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Ray,
Unlike are old trucks which came with single cylinder masters these trucks still have working brakes on the opposite end when something like this happens, unless the fronts are in the same condition and also let go.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:35 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
There are a lot of choices out there for brakes, similar to oil choices.

I installed Hawk LTS pads on drilled and slotted rotors for the front and rear. The truck does very well on grades towing heavy and the brakes are still performing great 4 years after installation.

Choose wisely and take your time choosing as this is a very important system for your truck.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:40 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd be looking at both rear rotors and calipers. Your going to have the system open anyway and just a big why not. As mentioned above, if your rears are that toasted, your fronts are 60 pct ahead of them.

If it's a patch job, do the one that's toast. If you can swing it, do an inspection on the fronts because we don't have the history on the truck, (they may be newer).

I sure wouldn't go top shelf if it's a daily. Get the warranted parts locally.

I do things in pairs always, but depends on your situation at the time.
Denny

Denny

Old 11-25-2018, 02:44 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Ray,
Unlike are old trucks which came with single cylinder masters these trucks still have working brakes on the opposite end when something like this happens, unless the fronts are in the same condition and also let go.
Dave, the OP said he had no brakes after the rear blew. This suggested to me that his front brakes had failed sometime in the past and he was running with rear brakes only when they failed. Thanks for confirming. We know nothing about the vehicle history, as mentioned. And as suggested, a complete inspection and or overhaul of the entire brake system is in order.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:05 PM
socal_pzy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Dave, the OP said he had no brakes after the rear blew. This suggested to me that his front brakes had failed sometime in the past and he was running with rear brakes only when they failed. Thanks for confirming. We know nothing about the vehicle history, as mentioned. And as suggested, a complete inspection and or overhaul of the entire brake system is in order.
Complete inspection will be tomorrow morning when the shop opens.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Auto Zone rotors+ deal. And work on fixing the rears only.

The truck will be daily driven next year or as soon as I get it into good health. So no need for high performance or tow heavy setup

https://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-tr...95_136417_2708

Old 11-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
If you get them off of a local outfit you can take the old one in with you. IIRC my NAPA store wanted to know the diameter of the rotor, but that's NAPA, not Advance Auto or Auto Zone...

Old 11-28-2018, 11:16 AM
socal_pzy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop update.

Replacing the rear, Rotors, Calipers, Hoses, and adding new Pads. Total Cost is $300 for Labor and Brake Fluid Refill/Flush (I brought my own parts).

"Recommendation" for the front; New Brake Pads only. Rotors and Calipers are not great but just ok. Something I can work on at home. Specially since E99 Front Rotors Differ from L99.

Now time for the picture of the day:

Old 11-29-2018, 12:22 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I had some O'Reilly rotors with Hawk LTS pads for the rear and they ended up glazing over. The front Hawk LTS with Powerslot Cryo rotors haven't had an issue. New rear set is Motorcraft Severe duty pads and Centric High carbon Rotors. Centric is the same brand as Power Slot and Stoptech. I prefer them as they have black center's and rotor hat's no rusting.
​​​​​​
At least you and the family are safe.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:19 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That rotor looks like it came off an antique corn sheller.

I bought a set of the Z36 Power Stop rotors and pads from Summit last year that are drilled and slotted and they are doing well stopping my truck while towing heavy. I actually called them and ask about why they have drilled and slotted rotors on their system designed for towing and they said the quality of the rotor material allowed them to drill and slot without the fear of them cracking while gaining the benefits of the design.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:42 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
On the subject of pads and rotors how many here take the time to perform the burnishing process?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:55 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kay
That rotor looks like it came off an antique corn sheller.

I bought a set of the Z36 Power Stop rotors and pads from Summit last year that are drilled and slotted and they are doing well stopping my truck while towing heavy. I actually called them and ask about why they have drilled and slotted rotors on their system designed for towing and they said the quality of the rotor material allowed them to drill and slot without the fear of them cracking while gaining the benefits of the design.

Bill, I knew that rotor reminded me of something but couldn’t figure it out and you nailed it AND dated the both of us.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bigb56
On the subject of pads and rotors how many here take the time to perform the burnishing process?
I did mine per the instructions with the kit and I’m not sure if it helped but there is zero vibration and they are doing well so I will do it from now on with new rotors.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:46 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Never done it and never had an issue. Some 'specialty' pads are said to really benefit from it, I've never used those. Maybe they all benefit from it, but I haven't seen the evidence.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Colorado350

Bill, I knew that rotor reminded me of something but couldn’t figure it out and you nailed it AND dated the both of us.
Ha! Yea I’m old. This year only lasted 3-4 months seem like.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:01 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I did for my Hawk LTS pads with Powerslot Cryo's up front. Not sure if the backs are affected like the fronts.

Quick Reply: Left Rear Break Line Popped Off