Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the 6.7 have a fuel heater?

Old 11-24-2018, 07:14 AM
wildbranch
New User
wildbranch is starting off with a positive reputation.
does the 6.7 have a fuel heater?

I was told that it doesn't and don't find any references to it having one. If it doesn't how are you to keep if from gelling, mine jelled up last year with winter diesel and additives, would like to make sure it survives this winter.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
No heater. Where area of the world are you located? Here in Michigan it gets quite cold, but the fuel wholesalers do a good job on the winter mix.

Welcome to the site!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.
These trucks will heat the fuel when the truck is running. The excess fuel that is not used in the injectors is returned to the tank and helps keep the fuel in the tank warm.

But the engine has to be running and producing heat to warm any fuel

Old 11-24-2018, 11:05 AM
wildbranch
New User
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
No heater. Where area of the world are you located? Here in Michigan it gets quite cold, but the fuel wholesalers do a good job on the winter mix.

Welcome to the site!
thanks. Upstate NY, many fords gelled up, other brands not so much, so many were in the dealer, they were making appointments three weeks out. Close to having the same problem this year, down below zero the last couple of days, but the stations in the area haven't got any winter diesel yet. waited until it warmed up today, will go see how that summer diesel likes zero degree days. thanks

Old 11-24-2018, 10:15 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
What PH said - and would also like to know where you are. I hit CFPP once, but that was because I had left over summer fuel in the truck. I left Alaska in July and parked it, returned in October and it stumbled. I plugged it in with the block heater, put some white bottle PS in, it fired up a few hours later and topped it off (about 1/2 tank) with winter fuel here, which is straight #1. (D1S15 to be exact) FWIW, D1 is as clear as water.

Unless you are breaking around -50F in which case you'll probably want other after market heaters in addition to using the block heater.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:32 AM
wildbranch
New User
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I hit CFPP once, but that was because I had left over summer fuel in the truck. I plugged it in with the block heater, put some white bottle PS in, which is straight #1. (D1S15 to be exact) FWIW, D1 is as clear as water.
can't find any #1 around here, one of the things I found somewhere is that the fuel is heated by the anti-freeze, so my other question would be does the block heater heat both coolant systems? does it heat the one that the fuel is heated by? that was going to be my temporary fix if I get into it again. So many fords were plugged and across a wide area I hope it was a case of the supplier not treating the fuel. The other thing that was strange, my john deere dealer said the new low sulfur when it gells is more like sand, this stuff when it jelled was more like cow fat, it was so hard that I couldn't get the filter out of my john deere even with heat. I have 4 diesels and gave up after the first two jelled up, if I had known at the time that the ford didn't have a heater, I would have tried the other truck that does. thanks.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:44 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
The heater element is in the engine block which is in the primary coolant system loop so I don't see how it could heat the secondary coolant system. The secondary system cools the fuel when necessary.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:19 AM
wildbranch
New User
thanks pictures help a ton, shame it doesn't heat the fuel though. anyone replace the for fuel filters with the after market fuel filters that have a heater in them? can't remember the ones if found FASS or something like that.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:22 AM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Depending on what year you have on my 2016 I installed an electric rap on the actual fuel filter on the bottom rail of the truck kept the truck from gelling Upstate New York fuel the worst. Black Friday 2018 -8 degrees in Upstate New York and my 2017 gelled up got a low fuel warning winter fuel from the station as good as it is winterized and howes additive anti gel no help. the 17 has a different design I'm going to rig up a heater on the actual flat fuel cartridge to keep it from gelling that's the point of problem not the one on the engine the one that hangs on the bottom lower fuel rail is the problem. I wish to God I live where these other guys claim they never have a problem when it gets down to 10 degrees F highest tax fuel and the worst fuel Upstate New York don't know about your location if I find a fuel filter heater 12 volts square I will let you know and post pictures. it was great on the 16 never had a problem after install it was like 35 dollars eBay take care

Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 AM
wildbranch
New User
I was looking at those heat wraps, I have a 2016, did you get the heat wrap that was 12v or 110, or the one that does both. I have to agree about the diesel, I never had a problem with my other three diesels, non ford, but they had heaters for the diesel. Was around -3 here but we are on a hill so it was warmer. I use stanadyn, last year when it jelled was using the ford winter stuff, but my tractor jelled with the stanadyn in it. I did some research and apparently there is a good possibility that they were selling 5% bio, they don't have to post it on the pumps if it's only 5%. The stanadyn says on their web site that you can go to double dose with no harm, that's what I ended up doing last year, my buddy uses PS? his says to double if you have bio diesel. thanks what wrap did you use on the 2016. thanks

Old 11-25-2018, 04:59 AM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
12 volt and like I said it's just enough to keep it from gelling people don't understand my brother laughed at me and said it wouldn't produce enough Heat but it does it just keeps it from gelling 27 degrees is better than -7. There's all different kinds I found the best one eBay they don't get warm enough to melt the plastic was one of my concerns. And remember you're only turning it on when it's below zero or you get that dreaded warning low fuel pressure as you're driving. It's amazing too me that Ford refuses to put a heater in line near the bowl itself where the problem occurs it wouldn't be the first time a 3 hr of driving out to Buffalo I had the truck freezing up on me that's what inspired the electric rap. Once again it just must be our fuel as most people say they don't even add additives I can't believe it growing up in Upstate New York my whole life my father would put gas in the old tractors to cut the diesel which I highly don't recommend in a modern diesel engine take care

Old 11-25-2018, 06:33 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Years ago on the farm, We would put a light bulb over the carburators. did a pretty good job.

So using some heat tape would be helpful.

I have never had a problem. Even traveling cross country in negative temps. I even one time in Kansas poured some glue in my truck at -1F and it ran fine. Course my truck was already running.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Hmmmmm.......I have ran real winter fuel at close to -50*F (Actual air temp, not wind chill) without issue!! Sounds like it may be more of a fuel supply problem than anything.
I was in the fuel hauling business for a few years hauling fuel from Canada into the Dakotas and Montana, and saw what un-scrupulous jobbers and retailers would pull! Winter blend is always higher priced at the refinery, so the crooks try to blend as little as possible with straigtht #2 and then sell it at the higher price! Fact.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
I'm guessing variations in regional fuel quality is a significant factor. We have to plan for the worst quality, weather related or other reasons.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:49 PM
wildbranch
New User
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
Sounds like it may be more of a fuel supply problem than anything.
Winter blend is always higher priced at the refinery, so the crooks try to blend as little as possible with straigtht #2 and then sell it at the higher price! Fact.
a distinct possibility. the first one to jell up for me was my tractor, I called a friend because he had just bought some 911, the filter couldn't be removed, so he left me the bottle and said he would go buy some more. He went to every place he could think of, they were all sold out of 911, and every additive was also gone. He finally found some 20 miles away. But where I buy my additive, they rebuild diesel pumps, so I asked them about it, they said most everyone that was having a problem was the fords without the fuel heater, and the smaller tractors without the heaters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: