Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the 6.7 have a fuel heater?

Old 11-28-2018, 06:53 PM
whitlock
New User
whitlock is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sheesh...exceedingly interesting. One can learn a LOT jus' browsing the forums.
Now I know what fuel gelling is, how to prevent it and how the engine is designed to discourage it.
The complexity of diesel engines and the myriad of subsystems is extraordinary.
I used to be upstate NY...taxes made me move to SC/GA...maybe I won't experience gelling but I do use Stanadyne regularly.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:25 AM
wildbranch
New User
wildbranch is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=radium;18331961 :-). just found a 100 watt 12 volt will install this weekend going to use some large zip ties to hold it in place. then this summer will come up with something better for my new 19 coming in April take care[/QUOTE]

could you post a link to where you are getting it from, found many different kinds, I intend to put something on it if we get a break in the weather, can't fit in the garage.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 AM
whitlock
New User
whitlock is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went to eBay as suggested and found a number of the Weaver heaters

Old 11-29-2018, 07:58 AM
wildbranch
New User
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I went to eBay as suggested and found a number of the Weaver heaters
can you post a link then, I have tried eBay and can find hundred of heaters, none suitable for the purpose.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM
wildbranch
New User
this is the one I have looked at, but I also found the same type at one point but it had attached ?springs? to it to hold it on, I can't find that one again. any one have a guess 50 watt or 100 watt? still looking for the one with springs

https://www.wolverineheater.com/coll...filter-heaters

Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Zerostart 3400037 (Wolverine Model FH-100) Silicone Pad Diesel Fuel Filter Heater Wrap 12 Volts 100 Watts
Amazon Amazon

New 200 Watt 12 Volt V Silicone Pad Fuel WVO Waste Veggie vegetable Oil BioDiesel Diesel Filter heater
Amazon Amazon

i know we used a 100w light to keep water troughs from freezing. Where they are roughly the same cost Id go with 100w, tie it into an upfitter or key on through relay.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:34 AM
wildbranch
New User
Originally Posted by cangim View Post

New 200 Watt 12 Volt V Silicone Pad Fuel WVO Waste Veggie vegetable Oil BioDiesel Diesel Filter heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTQUFWQ..._KrkaCbWNH2170

thanks that's the one that I had found but then couldn't find again, but I think you are correct the 100w would be enough, only thing that makes me nervous, it says only for metal filters. thanks

Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM
wildbranch
New User
an update, I never did get the pad on and it was 11 below for a couple of days, waited until it was 20 and started and gelled again. I also had a thread on a John deere site about the same thing with my tractors. So one of the guys that responded last year who basically said put in some fuel conditioner, has a business supplying fuel to houses and diesel to businesses. Well this year he was a little more interested as it seems he has two suppliers, as he described the first, he is mixing 30% #1 diesel with #2 diesel and some additives. the second he described as a not so good supplier, he is putting out #2 diesel with just additives. So over the last few days he has been out day and night dumping #1 fuel oil into the people that got fuel from supplier number two as everyone was gelling up. so it appears that either one of the pipelines of major supplier's in central NY is shipping out fuel that will gel when It gets cold. and to make matters worse, adding additives may make the problem even worse, and no one knows which stations have the diesel. So I stopped down to my John Deere dealer and asked where he gets his, and will be trying that one, once I empty my tank,

Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I feel your pain that's why I told you to just install the heater. It's been Wicked up here the last week nothing but negative numbers. Luckily adding the howze fuel additive and my little Electric heater going to work at 5 in the morning has not been an issue. Remember fuel additive when you're below five degrees they tell you to double the dose to be honest with you I overdose it especially when I know it's going to be a week never getting above 5 degrees needless to say the negative numbers at night and that's standing temperature not wind chill good luck if I were you I'd get under the truck with some big zip ties and some of the heaters actually have Velcro you just torque it down take care

Old 01-25-2019, 03:28 AM
wildbranch
New User
ya I just didn't have the time, my bad, and this coming week is going to be colder still, I posted the above so people in central NY would know why, I also screwed up, I should have taken a sample and sent it off to be sure, if I had the money I would get a sample from all the stations around and find one that is mixing it correctly. thanks.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:55 AM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Let me try to help you with another problem don't mind my bad grammatical errors which I get yelled at on this site all the time. First try to buy fuel from large distributors believe it or not a new Stewart's will be your best chance of getting cut fuel, my brother works for buhrmaster heating and oil company it cost them a fortune to cut fuel for the winter most times they'll add their own additives at the stations to save money they rely on mild Winters and hope for the best. It got so bad last year they had to shut stations down and not sell because everybody was gelling up . Literally around the Fulton Montgomery all the way to Saratoga and including Albany I could not find any anti gel they were rioting at Walmart for it, a trucker came in in front of me and bought two cases said he couldn't get out of the area without it LOL. Now to be fair this year hasn't been that bad I think they've learned their lesson. I could tell you also the only product I found that absolutely doesn't allow gelling is Howes fuel additive just double the dose when you go down into the single digits coming next week they're talkin -15 standing air temperature. And the best part about that additive it doesn't allow water absorption if forces it out which will keep all the scientist on this site happy. Also one other thing don't be afraid to change the filter out if it's gels on you once and drain the water weekly during the heavy winter days take care and good luck someday we'll move out of this High tax state which is happening sooner for me than I wish can't stand the present Direction New York is headed take care

Old 01-25-2019, 06:07 AM
wildbranch
New User
the closest stewarts to me is in saratoga springs, actually one guy on the tractor forum came up with a good way to test it, buy some fuel, mixing in your additive, put some in a gallon jug, put it in your freezer when your wife isn't looking, if it gells up, warm it back up put some more additives in, put it back in the freezer, keep doing that until you find something that works, or save it till spring, and go try another station. thanks I'll try Howe's,, it's about the only one I haven't tried. Yes last year there was no 911, nor any additives in any store, luckily I had a case of stanadyne, but had to borrow some 911. thanks

Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 AM
radium
Elder User
Yeah that sounds like a good idea the only problem is the distributor ships change over the month wherever they can save money your tested isn't always the same fuel. Just go to the new additive I was a power service kid for years until I discovered this stuff 3 years ago and it meets what Ford likes it chases the water out of the fuel I Almost Do 16 oz when it's 18 below doubling their dosage recommended for a 25 gallon tank it fired right up on Monday morning going to work 10 below standing air temperature didn't even hear the fuel pump running and didn't even use the heater take care

PS go buy as much as you can it's going to get very cold next week and it runs out like water everywhere Walmart has it for I think $9 take care again

Old 01-25-2019, 07:04 AM
radium
Elder User
One other important thing you have to put the stuff in before it freezes so I recommend starting it now before it gets too cold keep it in the house warm leaving in the truck is no good.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 AM
wildbranch
New User
yes I mix it in the cellar near the coal stove and keep it warm, I just found a place that sells it. I'm going to mix up some, warm it and put some in my tractor to test it, truck is full so can't do much there. thanks alot

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: