Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the 6.7 have a fuel heater?

Old 11-25-2018, 02:02 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Wildbranch - With your fuel issues, it appears a fuel filter heater or heat tape wrap would be things on my list. Plugging in when parked in those temps helps too. EVen if all it does is keep the engine oil and coolant a little warmer. I know it does both on an overnight plug in as I checked the dash and they were warmer than outside air temp and the truck blew out much warmer air went started that it does without being plugged in... To prevent gelling while driving, a winter front or the cheap man's version of cardboard in front of the radiator helps too. Prevents the wind from cooling things back to air temp. Last, I'd get and put in the truck an extra fuel filter and diesel 9-1-1. ONLY use diesel 911 as a last resort. I don't like that it has alcohol in it, even though they say it's safe for our trucks. It does beat walking. OF course the tools needed to do a roadside fuel filter change as well.

Second - if you ever see pure D1 for sale, it sure couldn't hurt if you picked some up to mix in when you know you are getting those temps. Kerosene at one point was mixed in diesel fuel for low temp operations, but like gasoline, I don't think it's great for the truck. (Probably illegal as K1 isn't taxed - but someone else can chime in on this - just not sure)

I'm with Desert Don - your fuel seems to be the culprit, but since that is something you can't change, as a forum group we should be looking to help you change the things you can. FWIW, when I moved from South Florida to Alaska, I was looking to do a fuel filter heater, winter front, battery blanket, and oil/transmission pan heaters... Luckily we ended up in the Banana belt of the state and those are not needed here. I also don't generally venture out too far in the winter... In my younger/healthier years I would though...

Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 AM
wildbranch
New User
wildbranch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Wildbranch - With your fuel issues, it appears a fuel filter heater or heat tape wrap would be things on my list. Plugging in when parked in those temps helps too. EVen if all it does is keep the engine oil and coolant a little warmer. I know it does both on an overnight plug in as I checked the dash and they were warmer than outside air temp and the truck blew out much warmer air went started that it does without being plugged in... To prevent gelling while driving, a winter front or the cheap man's version of cardboard in front of the radiator helps too. Prevents the wind from cooling things back to air temp. Last, I'd get and put in the truck an extra fuel filter and diesel 9-1-1. ONLY use diesel 911 as a last resort. I don't like that it has alcohol in it, even though they say it's safe for our trucks. It does beat walking. OF course the tools needed to do a roadside fuel filter change as well.

Second - if you ever see pure D1 for sale, it sure couldn't hurt if you picked some up

I'm with Desert Don - your fuel seems to be the culprit, but since that is something you can't change,
I carry both filters all the time, agree it's the fuel in the area compounded by the lack of the fuel heater in the Ford, I have fueled up at the same pump as my buddy at the same time, he has a cummings, I gelled he didn't both using additives. Am definitely looking at the Wolverine heat pad for the filter. I've looked for #1d but the closest I can find it is in NY city, now why they have it I'll never understand. In my tractors I've added dyed #1 this year, but if I put it in the truck, no doubt I would get caught. I really contemplated putting on the FASS with the heater, but my dealer said any engine problems and they wouldn't honor the warranty. thanks

Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 PM
Overkill2
Elder User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I live in the Buffalo, New York area and my 16 has almost 35k miles. This will be my third winter with my truck. I've had zero problems the past two winters with gelling or low fuel pressure.

I've been using K100 in every tank since I bought my truck. There's a summer dose and a winter dose... Just FYI and passing it on. Though I haven't had the truck really all that long, I do credit K100 with preventing any fuel issues in the cold weather. Good luck with the heater wrap and solving your problems.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Iowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputation
I would have to do more research to back up my statements but......
As I remember it. the 6.7 does not return fuel from the engine to the tank until it is above a certain temp.
It merely stays in a loop between the DFCM and the HPFP.
So it would only draw in cold fuel from the fuel tank, the amount of fuel it is using to do the work at hand.
Also there is an electrical schematic some where that shows the fuel line heater in the DFCM.
There is also a Def line heater and Def Module heater.
If you are having problems with fuel gelling You need to check your truck and your fuel.
The truck was designed properly, for cold weather.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.
From page 51 of the 6.7 Coffee Table book
"During this initial start up mode, the high pressure fuel system is run in PCV mode for a calibrated amount of time."

"The high pressure fuel systems operates in PCV mode until a calibrated fuel temperature and time is achieved."

"Thermal recirculation valve is fully open up to between 24-27C ( 75-80F) and fully closed at 38C ( 100F) (all fuel goes back to tank)

Old 11-27-2018, 04:12 AM
wildbranch
New User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
"During this initial start up mode, the high pressure fuel system is run in PCV mode for a calibrated amount of time."

"The high pressure fuel systems operates in PCV mode until a calibrated fuel temperature and time is achieved."

"Thermal recirculation valve is fully open up to between 24-27C ( 75-80F) and fully closed at 38C ( 100F) (all fuel goes back to tank)
thanks, but does anyone know what it means to run in PCV mode exactly? I read about some of this stuff previously and found more after this post. so I followed in the documentation to this point, so I'm guessing that at some point the timer on the PCV mode expired and the fuel still isn't up to temp and it falls through to this "The FPS has a 48-58 psi-gauge setpoint
for detection of a low pressure
fuel supply. The PCM de-rated the
engines power by 30% if the switch is
triggered.
The FPS protects the high pressure
fuel system from damage due to low
fuel pressure supply.
LOW FUEL PRESSURE is displayed
in the message center to advise
the customer of a low fuel pressure
concern.

this is the message I got, manual says probably jelled up. brought it to the dealer, they asked if I had any codes, I didn't, they pulled the filters and told me jelled??

then going further through the diagram we get here "Depending on
the temperature of the fuel from the
injectors, the fuel cooler can be used
to cool or heat the fuel going back to
the DFCM. The powertrain secondary
cooling system provides the coolant
for the fuel cooler.
Fuel Temperature
Sensor
Injector " so it uses the secondary cooling system to heat it, now I just have to find out which system the block heater heats, but I would suspect the primary cooling system, which to my way of thinking if it's so is the flaw in the system. but so far the document doesn't say if it heats one or both. thanks for the help,

Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 AM
MG250
Senior User
MG250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been looking for a rear fuel filter heater as well.
My 2015 gels up a few times a year in northern NH even with additive.
I am told it's because any fuel I buy that is not in Coos County (and sometimes upper Coos County) is not a winterized diesel.
I did find I can get winter diesel near where I stay weekends up there so I will start doing that.
Unfortunately that fuel location is 5 miles from my destination so the diesel will not work into my rear fuel filter and forward line in that short final drive.
In MA, I gel up (not a complete blockage so it eventually clears) probably twice a year (again, told it's the local fuel) and in northern NH I have gelled up where I needed to lay under the truck with a hair dryer facing the rear fuel filter to get the truck to move.
I previously used PS white and when it has gelled up in NH I have put in full bottles of PS 911 which has worked all but once.
This year I am trying Howes as that seems to test better at anti-gelling.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Iowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post

The bottom quote is what is exactly what I remembered. No fuel returned to tank until approx. 75-80 Deg. At 100 Deg. it all goes back.
The compression of a non compressible fluid, is what makes the fuel warm up rather quickly.
The quotes about the PCV and VCV are referring to the Hi pressure side. We are dealing with low pressure returns.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to paste the entire fuel page from the coffee book.
And I didn't want to type a book. So I just typed in the 3 sentences that talked about the fuel heat.

but anybody interested could read the 5-6 pages about fuel systems in the Coffee table book

Old 11-27-2018, 03:44 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
I agree Jon. There is a lot of good reading in that book.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:45 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Here are snips of some of the interesting parts.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Thanks Kper !

Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 AM
Overkill2
Elder User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for posting that up Kper. I have to revisit the book.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:24 PM
wildbranch
New User
that's the diagram I had used to figure what was going on. in another document I found this
Coolant from the degas bottle is pumped through the coolant
crossover hose assembly to the LH tank of the radiator. When
the low-temperature thermostat is closed, it allows coolant to
bypass the radiator entirely and be sent directly to the CAC and
the fuel cooler (Figure 7).
which all makes sense, but so far doesn't seem to work on my truck nor a lot of others around here. I asked the service manager how many trucks had come in during the cold spell last Jan. he just smiled.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
trust me just put the wrap on and you will be driving buy everybody on the side of the road :-). just found a 100 watt 12 volt will install this weekend going to use some large zip ties to hold it in place. then this summer will come up with something better for my new 19 coming in April take care

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: