Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F150 DOORS/LOCKS FREEZING STILL?!?

Old 11-22-2018, 09:00 PM
JBUPCYCLE
New User
JBUPCYCLE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry 2017 F150 DOORS/LOCKS FREEZING STILL?!?

FIRST SUPER COLD DAY HERE IN BUFFALO NY AND ALTHOUGH THE DEALERSHIP WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE FIXED THIS IN THE SPRING, MY F150'S DOOR HANDLES AND LOCKS ARE FROZEN TODAY! HAD TO DRIVE TO THANKSGIVING DINNER HOLDING MY DOOR SHUT AND HAVE MY DAUGHTER CRAWL INTO THE BACK FROM THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR. STOPPED AND PURCHASED GREASE WHICH POSSIBLY HELPED BECAUSE IT CLOSED BY THE TIME I REACHED MY DESTINATION BUT I JUST HAD TO DRIVE HOME LIKE THAT AND NOW IT'S SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY RUNNING IN HOPES TO WARM UP SO I CAN ACTUALLY LOCK AND SECURE MY TRUCK WHILE I SLEEP. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS HAPPEN TO THEM AGAIN THIS YEAR? I AM BEYOND FRUSTRATED. THE DEALERSHIP GREASED EVERYTHING BUT AFTER SOME READING JUST NOW THE DOOR PANELS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE REMOVED AND PARTS REPLACED, THEY DID NOT DO THAT. THERE IS LAWSUIT IN THE STATE OF NY AGAINST FORD FOR THIS, IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO IT WOULD HELP. IM SPENDING MY DAY TOMORROW MAKING PHONE CALLS I CANNOT GO THROUGH ANOTHER WINTER OF THIS CRAP WHILE PAYING A FORTUNE TO DRIVE WHAT I THOUGHT WAS GOING TO BE AN A SAFE VEHICLE FOR MY FAMILY. THANKS SO MUCH, AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
-ONE SUPER MAD MOMMA

Old 11-23-2018, 11:04 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by JBUPCYCLE View Post
FIRST SUPER COLD DAY HERE IN BUFFALO NY AND ALTHOUGH THE DEALERSHIP WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE FIXED THIS IN THE SPRING, MY F150'S DOOR HANDLES AND LOCKS ARE FROZEN TODAY! HAD TO DRIVE TO THANKSGIVING DINNER HOLDING MY DOOR SHUT AND HAVE MY DAUGHTER CRAWL INTO THE BACK FROM THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR. STOPPED AND PURCHASED GREASE WHICH POSSIBLY HELPED BECAUSE IT CLOSED BY THE TIME I REACHED MY DESTINATION BUT I JUST HAD TO DRIVE HOME LIKE THAT AND NOW IT'S SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY RUNNING IN HOPES TO WARM UP SO I CAN ACTUALLY LOCK AND SECURE MY TRUCK WHILE I SLEEP. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS HAPPEN TO THEM AGAIN THIS YEAR? I AM BEYOND FRUSTRATED. THE DEALERSHIP GREASED EVERYTHING BUT AFTER SOME READING JUST NOW THE DOOR PANELS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE REMOVED AND PARTS REPLACED, THEY DID NOT DO THAT. THERE IS LAWSUIT IN THE STATE OF NY AGAINST FORD FOR THIS, IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO IT WOULD HELP. IM SPENDING MY DAY TOMORROW MAKING PHONE CALLS I CANNOT GO THROUGH ANOTHER WINTER OF THIS CRAP WHILE PAYING A FORTUNE TO DRIVE WHAT I THOUGHT WAS GOING TO BE AN A SAFE VEHICLE FOR MY FAMILY. THANKS SO MUCH, AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
-ONE SUPER MAD MOMMA
Sounds like your dealer didn`t do the required/Ford approved repair procedure which included replacing parts and they took the easy way out. I know you`re frustrated and angry but those emotions should be directed at your dealer first. With that being said, not all years of the current generation F150 fall into this recall problem even though they might have the problem and these vehicles were not approved to have parts swapped to fix this issue. Did you receive a recall letter from Ford?

Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM
ecoboost12
Senior User
ecoboost12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ecoboost12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry about your Problem there is a second part to the recall that involved some kind of a White Gasket getting installed in the Hinge and door Handle area,If they didn't do the
first then they need to do the first and second recall, Is your dealer West Herr Ford they are based out of Buffalo, I'm in Rochester for the Read on, in this Forum for the Frozen
door lock problem.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:13 AM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Spray ww fluid on it to see if that at least unfreezes it for you

Old 11-23-2018, 11:39 AM
crossfirefrank
New User
crossfirefrank is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the recall done this summer at the dealership and ford just sent me another recall and noted the first recall does not fix the issue! I'll take it in and ask what they will be doing this time and let you know.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:49 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crossfirefrank View Post
I had the recall done this summer at the dealership and ford just sent me another recall and noted the first recall does not fix the issue!
Now there's a definition of efficiency for you, NOT!

Old 11-23-2018, 03:03 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
The first fix is an actual RECALL and if you got a letter from Ford then your truck is one of the affected ones. No letter- no fix. The recall number is FSA-17S33.

The second fix (18N03) is a "Customer Program" procedure. If you know about it, request it and live in an area that Ford deems an area of "extreme cold" they will do it. That's the one that involves the silicone seals on the door latches.

My truck was included in the first recall and when I had it done the information about the second fix printed out on the invoice. The dealer ordered the parts and did the install a week later. Just so you know, the second fix took a bit over 2 hours.

Haven't had any further problems since both modifications were done.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:48 PM
johnday
Posting Guru
johnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant future
I got the Customer Satisfaction letter the other day. I'm gonna wait and see if that really is a fix. This is the second winter for this '17, and truthfully, it really isn't driven hardly at all, and lives in the barn most of winter, so I've had zero problem. Think I'll zap it with some Fluid Film anyway tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:18 PM
jr105
Senior User
jr105 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I brought my truck in to have the 17S33 recall done I asked about the 18N03 Customer Program and I was told that they only did the second part if the recall doesn't take care of the problem.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:11 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jr105 View Post
When I brought my truck in to have the 17S33 recall done I asked about the 18N03 Customer Program and I was told that they only did the second part if the recall doesn't take care of the problem.
So, wait for the first really cold day and tell them it didn't take care of the problem.
I guess its up to the service manager but I don't exactly live in Alaska and THEY told ME that I needed the second fix. Go figure...

Old 11-23-2018, 07:39 PM
miner999r
Senior User
miner999r has a good reputation on FTE.miner999r has a good reputation on FTE.
Just got a letter from Ford today extending additional fix if you have a frozen latch after doing the recall. They say in the letter that if the latch freezes bring the truck in and they will do more work.

Never had a problem with my truck but did the recall anyhow. It's now going into winter 3 in a cold climate zone.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:37 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PupnDuck View Post
The first fix is an actual RECALL and if you got a letter from Ford then your truck is one of the affected ones. No letter- no fix. The recall number is FSA-17S33.

The second fix (18N03) is a "Customer Program" procedure. If you know about it, request it and live in an area that Ford deems an area of "extreme cold" they will do it. That's the one that involves the silicone seals on the door latches.

My truck was included in the first recall and when I had it done the information about the second fix printed out on the invoice. The dealer ordered the parts and did the install a week later. Just so you know, the second fix took a bit over 2 hours.

Haven't had any further problems since both modifications were done.
That is absolutely absurd.
This "fix" should apply to ALL trucks built with this issue.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:53 PM
John Schimenti
New User
John Schimenti is starting off with a positive reputation.
First winter with my 2017 F150 and doors are frozen (won't close) every morning whenever temp is below freezing. Have to warm it up 15 minutes, spray lots of WD-40, work the hinges with a screwdriver before they latch. I don't think anything really works aside from the car warming up. Bringing in for 18N03 next week, but not hopeful it will do anything....the best information I've seen on the matter is a Youtube video showing that the problem is condensation inside the door, possibly due to lack of ventilation. What worked for this person was power blasting the inside of the door (via the drain hole) with a lubricant/anti-rust product called honey-goo, which isn't available in the U.S, as far as I can tell. Will update after my 18N03...

Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM
wgierczynski
Junior User
wgierczynski is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by GABAR View Post
Sounds like your dealer didn`t do the required/Ford approved repair procedure which included replacing parts and they took the easy way out. I know you`re frustrated and angry but those emotions should be directed at your dealer first. With that being said, not all years of the current generation F150 fall into this recall problem even though they might have the problem and these vehicles were not approved to have parts swapped to fix this issue. Did you receive a recall letter from Ford?
My dealer did new "improved" repair and my doors still freeze also. Its all one big bull**** with this repair.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Elder User
Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.
Some of the guys over in the Super Duty section are suggesting spraying Boeshield T-9 into the latches and assembly. I live in one of the coldest parts of Alaska but am blessed to have a large heated garage. This is my truck's second winter - as yet, the latches haven't frozen up on me but if it ever does, I'll try the Boeshield.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: