Radiators, radiators everywhere! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C
Reload this Page >

Radiators, radiators everywhere!

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 09:57 PM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
ExplorerTominCO is starting off with a positive reputation.

2000 Expedition 5.4

I've replaced a bunch of radiators in a short amount of time. It all started a couple years ago when I replaced what I believe to be the factory radiator because it was leaking around the end tank area. I replaced it with some kind of radiator from Rockauto. This radiator lasted about 12 months before it started leaking in the same area. This time I replaced it with an all aluminum radiator from Mishimoto to fix these plastic end tank failures that I seem to be having. 6 months later, the all aluminum radiator is leaking- same area but this time where the core meets the end tank. Thinking back, it's possible that the previous radiators may have been leaking here as well.

I replaced this one with a Spectra (plastic end tank radiator- but regarded as the best plastic end tank radiator) while I filed a warranty claim. When I replaced this radiator, I also replaced the lower rubber mounts. However, the old mounts did not appear to be hard compared to the new ones.

The coolant was flushed a couple years ago and each time I replace the radiator, I refill with new 50/50 mix of distilled and green coolant. The reservoir cap is a fairly new Motorcraft cap. Water pump and thermostat are also new Motorcraft.

My Expedition does see a little off-road driving, but I would not call it significant.

any ideas? Bad motor mount? Bad luck? Aliens?

Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Kruse
Posting Guru
Kruse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ExplorerTominCO View Post
2000 Expedition 5.4

This time I replaced it with an all aluminum radiator from Mishimoto to fix these plastic end tank failures that I seem to be having. 6 months later, the all aluminum radiator is leaking- same area but this time where the core meets the end tank. Bad luck?
Uh....last I checked, Mishimoto radiators have a lifetime warranty.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:16 AM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kruse View Post
Uh....last I checked, Mishimoto radiators have a lifetime warranty.
They in fact do. When I discovered the leaky Mishimoto, I reminded the radiator that it has a lifetime warranty. I even showed it the verbiage on the website where it details out the terms of the warranty. But the expensive all aluminum radiator continued to leak. It's almost like it doesn't care- or it doesn't understand English.

I installed the Spectra radiator while I waited for the Mishimoto warranty process to run its course. I installed the Spectra on 10/5 (and this was after dealing with the leak for about 2 weeks). The replacement Mishimoto should be here on 11/26.

Lifetime warranty or not, I'd rather fix the underlying issue causing the radiators to fail, if there is one, instead of replacing radiators every several months to a year.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:17 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
They in fact do. When I discovered the leaky Mishimoto, I reminded the radiator that it has a lifetime warranty.
Just the radiator, not the coolant or the labor. That being said, a lifetime warranty is of little value if it keeps costing you time and money to replace it for "free." I always go to Radiator For Sale | Radiator Express since their prices are good and they deliver to your door within 48 hours, sometimes the same day.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:38 AM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
Exactly.

I had to pay $30 to ship the new Mishimoto to me. The good news is that I get to keep the original radiator. I'm going to take it to a radiator repair shop and see what they say about it: see if they can repair it and if they can shed some light on the mode of failure. And if they can't, I can probably get $30 in scrap value for it.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:52 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
The good news is that I get to keep the original radiator. I'm going to take it to a radiator repair shop and see what they say about it:

Well if they can fix it you'll have a spare to use while you wait for a replacement at the next go around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.