1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

So what would you do?

Old 11-18-2018, 01:24 PM
49f1 49752
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
So what would you do?

First let me start off by saying I've been lurking for some time. Finally joined a couple of months ago. What I have learned is that this site has a wealth of information and people willing to share their knowledge. Thank you!
I am a workaholic self employed senior looking to retire from my business. Aware that insanity from lack of purpose could result I took the plunge and bought a 49 F1. Been a car/truck guy ever since I was little, but got wrapped up in the realities of life and paying bills.
Anyway, like I said, I bought this truck. Some one had started this project, and for whatever reason stopped. I had the thing shipped to me from Arizona because where I live in MI there isn't much left of most 15 year old trucks much less 70 year olds due to salt. Surprised when we unloaded it that there wasn't one bolt holding bed, cab, or front clip to the frame. Whew!
The add w/pictures selling this truck said that the engine appeared to have been freshly rebuilt. When I pulled the hood off the first thing I noticed was the 8CM markings on the heads. Gotta admit, got kinda excited. I have finally gotten the engine out and disassembled. I will describe my findings and rely on you guys for advise. First off, definitely 8CM heads. Pistons are brand new .080 over Conformatic brand. Lifters are new solid adjustable type. Valves (stainless) and guides are new. Camshaft has no markings other than "Ford" in casting, but appears fresh. Crankshaft has had main and rod journals ground to correct dimensions for the installed .020 bearings. Alas, it is the 3.75" stroke and not the 4" the heads had hyped me up for. Oil pump appears new and is a Melling. All this work in an engine that was never fired! What has me concerned is that when I was removing valve assemblies I found carbon debris like someone had scraped the block of deposits when disassembling. Rest of block is pristine. Why junk under new valves and above new guides? It doesn't appear the valve seats were replaced, and there is some pitting that I doubt lapping would clean up. Other than replacing valve seats, what else?
There are no machine shops in my neck of the woods any more, so If anyone knows of a good shop within reasonable distance of Northern Michigan please let me know.
I'll try to insert a couple of pics. I've rambled on too long already.
Thanks again,
Bob

Old 11-18-2018, 01:45 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
I can offer no advise but want to welcome you to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the world wide web!

You did good by posting pics of your engine. Now can you show us pics of your truck?

Old 11-18-2018, 02:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I had a similar experience to yours. My truck came with Car engine, and including a Merc oil pan and some other bits that said "Merc", but Ford heads. It's just a Ford, but that's OK. Not sure how much you've investigated, but the Merc heads on a Ford 239 lower the compression compared to stock Ford heads.

Some people mistakenly think Merc heads are a quick performance boost, not at all.

I can't say why there would be debris in the valve pockets. Does your block have replaceable valve seats for sure? They were phased out starting in mid-'50. Do your valves have rotators on them? If so, it is likely a block without hardened seats.

I'm sure there are shops in MI that can do the work. I would check with the local Early Flathead V8 Club to find a recommendation (see below). Wisconsin shops may actually be closer than Dearborn, I think there are a few in MN too. But you don't necessarily need a flathead shop. The shop I use does everything from CAT engines to motorcycles. Just make sure they have done seats before.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:15 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 865 Likes on 421 Posts
Greetings Bob, and welcome to FTE! I used to live in the U.P., and my truck came from the Coast Guard base at the Soo--rusty too.

I had my engine rebuilt in a shop in Antigo, WI. My engine is not a flathead, but the guy who worked on it seemed very knowledgable working on old stuff. His shop looks straight out of the 1950's or maybe even earlier.

I needed a hobby too when I retired, and restoring my Dad's old truck was just the thing for me. Getting involved with FTE was an unexpected benefit and greatly enhanced my "truck" experience.

Working on wooden boats is another hobby I acquired in retirement, but there is no equivalent to FTE in the wooden boat world. There are forums, but the people are nothing like the ones I have "met" here on FTE. On the boat forums, holidays are not celebrated, special occasions not shared, and members not prayed for and helped in times of need. Information is shared, but there is no personal connection like we see all the time on our FTE Forum.

Good luck with your project and enjoy the "ride" with your new FTE friends.

Jim

Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 AM
49f1 49752
Cross-Country
Hey, thanks for the welcome,
Abe- I'll post some pics down the line. It's a project.
Albuq F1 I'm thinkin you may be right about the seats not being replaceable. I appreciate the contact info.
52 USCG Panel Small world eh. I was stationed at Base Sault in the mid - late 70's.

Bob

Old 11-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Bob,
Welcome! Your into the engine! Good pictures! Will be watching your progress. Lots of good guys on here that can help and encourage you along the way. Enjoy your project and retirement!
Regards,
Chris

Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Hey Bob, I'm excited to have finally run across someone with a connection to the CG base at the Soo. My truck spent its working years there and went out of service from there about the same time my Dad did. My truck was used for transportation between the upper and lower bases and also by the telephone crew. In the 1950's and before, the CG maintained their own lines between the various lighthouses and stations in the area.

The history and Coast Guard heritage of my truck are well documented on this forum. Clicking on my user name will take you to pictures and threads about my truck.

We are a friendly group on this forum and will for sure take an interest in your project. I don't know how far you are from Antigo, but I'd be glad to personally introduce you to the guy that rebuilt my engine.

Jim

Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f1 49752
Albuq F1 I'm thinkin you may be right about the seats not being replaceable. I appreciate the contact info.

Bob
Sorry if I mislead you; while the 50-on flatheads didn't have replaceable seats, seats can be installed by a machine shop. The late blocks are the same as earlier ones with hardened seats, so it's no problem to cut the block and install hardened seats. It just has to be done carefully. I had hardened seats installed in my block, it cost about $200. It does require that the block be completely disassembled.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Just wanted to welcome you aboard Bob, and wish you well on your project.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:07 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 372 Likes on 159 Posts
I too just want to welcome you to the best site on the web. I too have a 49F1 and we love pictures here.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:15 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome, Bob! Good to have you aboard.

Old iron is a great way to stay occupied. Why, there's the looking for a project, the talking about looking for a project, the dreaming about finding a project, the trip planning to look at a project you're thinking about but haven't talked about yet, the whining about prices for projects you'll never own...

Makes a feller think about taking a nap before lunch.

What are your plans? Other than sorting out the engine bits, of course.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:47 PM
49f1 49752
Cross-Country
52 USCG Panel - I may take you up on that when I get to the point I'm not working 6 days a week. I originally got assigned to Base Soo for winter duty as I was assigned to White Shoals Lighthouse and it was automated enough that it could be on it's own for the winter. They liked my work and kept me there the rest of my 4 year tour.
Albuq F1--My current plan right now is to look for a valve seat grinding set. I'm going to put my Mac Tools guy on the hunt. If I can find one locally to rent or borrow I may see what it takes to clean them up. If not, then like you said.
Tip49, 1949f1 and FortyNiner,-- Thanks for the welcome. My plans as of now are to go basically stock with a dressed up engine. I want to get down to 15" wheels and lower the stance a bit. Had a car back in the day with G60's on the back and F70's on the front and liked that look. (Date myself with the reference to Gs and Fs don't I?) When I pulled the motor and trans I found a big crack in the trans case so I'm thinking automatic transmission. I know that opens a whole can of worms, so I'll be looking for some advise when I get there. Frame off restoration--It's all about the journey right.
Thanks again guys,
Bob

Old 11-20-2018, 06:02 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Bob, Antigo is about 80 miles south of Watersmeet, MI, and the welcome mat will be out should you decide to come. If you live close to the Soo, however, it's going to be a fairly long drive, and there may be closer options.

I spent my boyhood years in the Soo--1950-59. I have many fond memories and still go back from time to time. I had a notion to jump in my truck earlier this Fall and go, but it didn't quite happen.

Jim

Old 11-20-2018, 09:13 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f1 49752
. (Date myself with the reference to Gs and Fs don't I?)
Bob
The scary part, Bob, is that we know what you're talking about.

Welcome to the fourm! Best wishes with your truck!