95 f150 5.8 running poorly - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

95 f150 5.8 running poorly

Old 11-16-2018, 11:25 PM
rigid1
New User
rigid1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
95 f150 5.8 running poorly

Truck is running very poorly and low on power . It starts just as it should . Idles down after a few seconds and is fine in park. Going down at first I thought it acted like it starved for fuel. Same result on both tanks. Now I'm not sure if it is flooding on fuel. mileage was never a strong suite for these trucks! No miss or back fire.Timing and plug wires seem to be correct . It seems to get slightly better after several miles and after being re-started for the trip back. It still bucks quite a bit though
fuel pressure is 32 at start up. It goes to 42 if I pull line off regulator. Line back on and raising the idle quite a bit it does not drop below 30 .
Tps sensor is new
etc sensor was replaced at one time but not sure how long ago.
Act sensor has not been replaced since I have had truck for 12 years

Any thoughts that it may be one of these bottom two sensors and if so how do I test ? Any other suggestions I would appreciate.

Thank you for your help

Old 11-17-2018, 03:19 AM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
Check for codes.

I will always tell people to check fuel pressure, under the conditions that you have an issue. So, go put a load on the engine (hard accel, up hill, etc) and watch fuel pressure. If it doesn't rise under load, you've got a pressure problem. Changed the filter yet?

Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 PM
rigid1
New User
Has probably been 5-6 years since I changed the filter. Man I hate that on these trucks ! May not be so bad this time. Short of taking the hood off and trying to tape the gauge to the glass how are people seeing the gauge while in operation the hose on my gauge barley gets it above the cowl ? Are there longer lines available for the pressure gauge?

Thank you

Old 11-17-2018, 11:37 PM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
I slip the gauge between the hood & cowl while the hood is up, then close the hood. At least on my truck & gauge, it doesn't collapse the line & I get good readings. The line goes under the windshield wiper, and a strip of duct tape over the gauge. Definitely not the greatest: a longer hose would be helpful for sure. I've done this on a Gen 1 Tundra too. It's for sure a bit tough to drive safely & watch the gauge, so try to pick an area with some relative solitude. You don't have to go fast, just put a good load on the engine.

Yeah fuel filter changes are much harder than they need to be, with how Ford tucked the filter between the tank & frame rail. Dumb. I change filters annually though, I've had years where they were fine, and others where they were very restricted. Some stations have terrible tanks. A clogged filter will kill a pump eventually, and I really don't like dropping the tanks..

Old 11-20-2018, 07:10 PM
rigid1
New User
now attempting to change filter .. Not working out well . I have the OEM brand of disconect tools as well as the little white Lisle brand tools and I can not get this thing to unhook front or rear. Started with the 5/16 with no luck. Then went to 3/8. seems to push tight to the hub on the line but can not get it to release. It seems that the clips may be rusted to the filter. Thought about trying to break the nipples off the filter and then release clips?

Old 11-21-2018, 01:49 AM
timbersteel
Postmaster
timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.
We all feel your pain. I'll never understand why Ford thought it was an awesome idea to put the filter right between the frame and front tank.

I've found that using something with a spray straw to clean the inside of the line has helped. I just keep spraying and wiggling the connector back and forth using pressure has helped.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:31 PM
rigid1
New User
Got the filter off and a new one on but it did not change anything. I was able to drive down the highway at 55 . The pressure reading was 40lbs and the needle responded to the throttle applied. This was the same on both tanks. The bucking seems to be a little less after the truck has been 20 miles plus .It is much worse in the morning. It seems to idle fine. Another odd thing is it seems the needle on temp gauge barely gets past the "TE" . I thought I remember it almost straight up prior to this problem. The interior heat woks great like always. Best part of the old truck ! I am not sure what to check next .

Thank you

Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 PM
rigid1
New User
Any chance that the map sensor could be the culprit ? How would I check it ? I do not have a starting or idle problem so I'm not sure about this one

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.