Notices

non traditional goose neck hitch install

Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
non traditional goose neck hitch install

I have a 2010 f-450 DRW with 6.4 and dana 130 4:30 rear

I have 1000lb summo springs installed on each side (also have an extra set of 1500lbs perside in a box)

My shocks can take 400PSI per side giving me 500lbs (PSI X 1.2) of spring tension per side

I also have some helwig over leaf springs (not installed) rated at 1500lbs (total I imagine)

I have a diamondback truck bed top which locks my tools and accessories very well and Im trying to figure out if I can install my goose-neck hitch furthur to the rear (spare tire area) so that I can just remove the rear diamondback top section when I need to pull a trailer.

My gooseneck system is the stock ford one which comes with the 18K *****.

15% of 18K is only 2700lbs.

My thinking with a small tongue weight of just 2700lbs fully loaded...I should be able to install the ford hitch prep package as far back as I can get it and basically be able to handle the tongue weight with no problems.

has anyone heard of or done something similar?.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:40 PM
Tom N OH
Senior User
Tom N OH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
By installing the hitch behind the rear axle, the leverage will remove weight from the front axle & could be very dangerous. Your rear springs & axle will handle the weight fine, removing weight from the front is NOT a good idea.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:33 PM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
I don't know if Ford offered a factory hitch prep earlier than 2011, but I can be wrong. But the factory hitch prep is bolt-on / no drill and will only fit in one place on your frame rails.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:58 AM
JakeHan
Senior User
JakeHan is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's a formula somewhere, but the farther back you go, the greater the leverage on the back axle, so more weight on the RA, less on the FA, etc. etc...

It's basically what all of the offset ***** and sliders and such do when guys try to pull goosenecks with shortbeds, just a little more extreme. Sure would seem like you'd be fine with a 450, wish there was a way you could get axle weights before you go through the work......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.