Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Review of my daughter's 2018

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:58 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Review of my daughter's 2018

So, many of you know that my kiddo bought a 2018 Screw XLT Sport 302a package with the 3.5L eco back in July. It's simply an amazing truck with more bells and whistles than I could ever want or need.

I went to see her in El Paso for a few days where she's stationed at Ft Bliss. Here is my 5000 mile review of her truck:

She's just about to get her first oil change at the dealer, the oil level is still perfect.

Her average MPG to date is 20 and a decimal and she drives that truck like a scalded dog. I love it!

The power is amazing, fit and finish is perfect and the interior is extremely well laid out. She has the center console, hence the sport package.

The day after she bought the truck, the wipers failed in a blinding rain storm. The dealer had to cannibalize another truck to get her rolling in a timely manner. Not her problem. To date, no other defects of any sort.

Some things that I'm not crazy about the overall ride quality which I associate with the 20 inch wheels. I feel that my 2011 truck with the 17's rides much smoother.

The main that irks the crap out of me t he "start - stop" feature. She's become acclimated to it and it no longer bothers her but, she's not seeing the long term effects of owning this truck for 10+ years. IMHO, this will only produce more wear and tear on the starting and electrical systems. Maybe I'm wrong but time will tell.

Otherwise, I don't see how she could have made a better choice in buying a very high quality vehicle.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:57 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I'm not defending the auto S/S, but it can be defeated by any of several methods. Some more elegant than others. In addition, that's no ordinary starter motor in there any more, AND there is a mechanism to keep the oil pressure up while you're waiting for the restart.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I have observed enough on my auto s/s to disable it most of the time, but to use it when I get stuck in one of our lengthy signal traps. According to a "seemingly well thought out" video I watched, the payoff on auto s/s starts after 7 seconds--you use the same amount of fuel at idle for 7 seconds as you use starting the engine. I found with the AC on when it was 95 out, auto s/s only stayed shut down for 9 or 10 seconds.

I can live with it I guess. I am averaging 18.7mpg with a 2.7/6 speed, but I've had some "around town" tanks in the 14s, so with $4 gas, I am interested in saving some gas where I can.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:04 AM
yellowboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What replaces the conventional starter ?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
I'm not defending the auto S/S, but it can be defeated by any of several methods. Some more elegant than others. In addition, that's no ordinary starter motor in there any more, AND there is a mechanism to keep the oil pressure up while you're waiting for the restart.

Yes, yes and we talked about that, but, it doesn't bother her anymore. I'm just OC enough that I would only think about premature starter and battery replacements.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Yes, yes and we talked about that, but, it doesn't bother her anymore. I'm just OC enough that I would only think about premature starter and battery replacements.
That OCD stuff has its good points and bad points. I have a touch of that too.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:51 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Good to hear your daughter is enjoying her f150!

So, I've had the same concerns with my 2017. However, the starter is a more robust design, so it should last a good longtime. The same with the battery. It's really beefy for a 3.5L v6...at a Group 94R sizing. However, only time and mileage will tell.

biz

Old 11-16-2018, 03:21 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by biz4two
Good to hear your daughter is enjoying her f150!

So, I've had the same concerns with my 2017. However, the starter is a more robust design, so it should last a good longtime. The same with the battery. It's really beefy for a 3.5L v6...at a Group 94R sizing. However, only time and mileage will tell.

biz

Interesting point sir. So, lets say that you're at a stop light in a busy part of town trying to make your way through heavy rush hour traffic. The truck stops and then the light turns green ad the battery is dead. Sadly, my daughter's Fusion gave her just that much of an idea that the car wouldn't start again. Luckily this didn't happen to her.

Or worse yet let's imagine that you're on the freeway and there's been accident and traffic is backed up for miles but creeping slowly. So yes, you can shut it off but why should you have to do that? Is there any proof that the SS saves fuel?

Clearly I'm not the neighborhood naysayer as I was one of the first on here to get an ecoboost truck. But someone will have to convince me that I'm wrong.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:38 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by tseekins
Interesting point sir. So, lets say that you're at a stop light in a busy part of town trying to make your way through heavy rush hour traffic. The truck stops and then the light turns green ad the battery is dead. Sadly, my daughter's Fusion gave her just that much of an idea that the car wouldn't start again. Luckily this didn't happen to her.

Or worse yet let's imagine that you're on the freeway and there's been accident and traffic is backed up for miles but creeping slowly. So yes, you can shut it off but why should you have to do that? Is there any proof that the SS saves fuel?

Clearly I'm not the neighborhood naysayer as I was one of the first on here to get an ecoboost truck. But someone will have to convince me that I'm wrong.
You'd have to talk with FORD engineers that designed the system if it actually saves fuel. But, since many vehicles are going to this new technology...it would seem so.

As for the battery issue, the system is designed to recognize certain parameters for the start/stop to function. One in particular is the condition of the battery charge. If the battery is low...or not at a minimum requirement, then the start/stop is automatically disabled with the symbol in the instrument cluster. Also, if the brake pedal is not fully depressed...and only slightly, then the start/stop will not engage. Those same parameters are set for AC and heat, etc.

Could it work better and smarter?? Absolutely!! But, this is a GEN-1 version, so future models should get better as the engineers learn more about the full capabilities of the this new technology.

biz

Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 PM
jyarosz
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a 2018 f150 with the 5 litre.I notice when I fill the gas tank the auto shut off doesn,t work for 20 to 30 miles,Anyone else ever see this and know why it would do this?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
tseekins, I am extremely pleased to hear your review of your daughter's truck. I also have a 2018 302A 3.5L Ecoboost and I have very similar impressions of mine.

I have approx 8600 miles on mine in the 6 months I've had it. Over 3500 of those miles have been towing our travel trailer or one of my loaders. I can't say enough about the capability of this modern 1/2 ton. I did my 1st oil change at 7400 miles. Zero oil consumption and the oil life indicator was still showing 30% oil life remaining, even with all of that towing. It has been back to the dealer twice for recalls on the door latches and the seat belt pre-tensioners. No other issues or dealer visits. The only complaint I may have is the absolutely awful factory Michelin Primacy tires this thing came with. Of course, I'm not sure any other manufacturer puts quality tires on their trucks from the factory.

The biggest surprise to me has been the fuel economy of this truck. This was my last tank. Over 600 miles of mixed driving and using the remote start. My other trucks can't come close to that in the same drive cycle.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
The Ford guys pay attention to what the other makers are doing, and while Idon't personally like the "is it gonna' start" feel, Mercedes puts into their Auto Start not just the battery and starter, but the PCM knows exactly which cylinder is optimal to fuel and fire 1st, which takes a load off the starter and is quicker to start the engine.

Betcha' the Ford guys are doing the same...

Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jyarosz
I have a 2018 f150 with the 5 litre.I notice when I fill the gas tank the auto shut off doesn,t work for 20 to 30 miles,Anyone else ever see this and know why it would do this?
I have a 2018 5.0 and have never had that problem, mine shuts down at a red light 100 yards from the gas station, I rarely get a green light there. I think it hates me.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:12 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biz4two
You'd have to talk with FORD engineers that designed the system if it actually saves fuel. But, since many vehicles are going to this new technology...it would seem so.

As for the battery issue, the system is designed to recognize certain parameters for the start/stop to function. One in particular is the condition of the battery charge. If the battery is low...or not at a minimum requirement, then the start/stop is automatically disabled with the symbol in the instrument cluster. Also, if the brake pedal is not fully depressed...and only slightly, then the start/stop will not engage. Those same parameters are set for AC and heat, etc.

Could it work better and smarter?? Absolutely!! But, this is a GEN-1 version, so future models should get better as the engineers learn more about the full capabilities of the this new technology.

biz
Everybody can say what they want about auto start/stop, but to me its not suited anyone living the desert southwest of this country. I have personally experience that it doesn't make any difference on what AS/S does or doesn't do, if inside the cab of your 4 door pickup truck exceeds 160 degrees (Which quite common to us living in the southwest) it will take the AC way over 15 minutes to cool the inside temperature some where's below 95 degrees. You truck with AS/S will turn its self off along with the AC at the second stop light (less than 2 min away). No thank you. The removal of AS/S was the first modification that my truck had seen. I've un-modified it during our short winter months once and it works great and I would probably could get used to using it. But when 9 months out of the year, your AC unit in the truck is on MAX COOL continuously, AS/S is not needed nor wanted.

RANT off.