Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Old guy has a few questions 2016 on a Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM
old-dad
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old guy has a few questions 2016 on a Ford Escape

Hi all, new to this forum but glad it's here. My daughter bought a (used) 2016 Ford Escape with 68,000 miles. Car looks and drives great. The place she got it from is an hour & 1/2 away but it was too good a deal to pass up. Anyway, when she was leaving our house last night and put the car in reverse, the back-up camera didn't come on?? She got a message that the 'back-up camera-not available' ?? I googled this last night and it appears this problem happens a lot with some Ford cars/trucks, sometimes related to the Ford Sync system. Since the place where she got the car from is so far away I was hoping there is a quick fix to this problem. I have used Ford forums before and they have helped me fix many things so we didn't have to take our cars to a mechanic (which is good because my wife and I are seniors and are on a very fixed income). I am hoping someone here could help out with this problem with advice on what to check/fix. The version of Ford Sync my daughter's car has is shown in the following link: ( link: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...odO8yOw6EvTjzg) I think my daughter's car has the Ford Sync/MYFord version.

Also, what are the other common problems with this model? Anything we should be awat

And of course this car only came with 1 key but I am not sure if it is an original key or a clone. Her key is an all-in-one key with the key and the remote all-in-one. There is a little blue Ford logon on one side of the key and 3 buttons on the other side. I believe the key that she has is: 164-R8007 which is the 2nd picture shown below (link:
Amazon Amazon
).

However, when I look for the OEM key for the 2016 Ford Escape, it shows the number: 164-R8046, which has 4 buttons and is the key shown on the right of the two keys shown below. (see link:
Amazon Amazon
).

My thinking is that my daughter has a clone key and (164-R8007) and that the original keys that came with the car (master or original keys) are the OEM # 164-R8046, but you folks here would know better than I. I believe the button missing on my daughter's key FOB is the trunk release, although to be honest I don't know if my daughter's car has that option. Anyone here know which key is the original and what key my daughter should have?

**Now I have a 2001 Ford F150 with the PATS system and it is a nightmare to get replacement keys to work. I know that if you have to master or original keys, you can program some clone keys. However, if you loose one of the two master (or original keys), you have to go to the dealer to get another master key, and you must bring the remaining master key that you do have with you. The dealer will then go into the programming and erase all keys and then program the new master key along with your remaining original. I also know that only certain keys can be used as a master or original key and that there are keys you can buy off of Amazon or EBAY that can only be used as a clone key. I ran across this when I bought a key off Amazon and an automotive locksmith said it was one of the keys that can only be a clone, so I still need a 2nd master key for my F150. I could got to Lowes and have a clone made of the master but I really want a 2nd master key so I can program my own clone keys. But the dealer charges way too much. Anyway, I assume the Ford pats system is on my daughter's Escape and that the situation is the same as far as master and clone keys.Anyone here have any advice or suggestions?

Old 11-14-2018, 03:22 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Try this for the camera (found from googling)

Old 11-14-2018, 03:42 PM
old-dad
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. My daughter has the small screen and it isn't touch screen so I don't know if this will work. But we will try it. And if anyone has any other ideas or answers to the question on the back up camera issue, and the questions on the car keys, please help. Thanks