1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Axle problem/swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Speedwagon98
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle problem/swap

2002 E350 extended. Door axle code is C4, which seems to be a 3.73 limited slip. However, that is not what is back there.

When I got the van, it had a plain steering wheel and the horn didn't work. So I took it apart, was a bit confused by what I found(wires didn't match up to what was there). Found a junkyard wheel with speed control, so I grabbed it with the clock spring. Magically, I had speed control in this van! So obviously, someone has been swapping parts out on this van in the past. Quite possibly the rear axle as well.

I've been having a problem with the rear axle making noise. It seems like it might be the driver's side wheel bearing, as I'm getting a thunk-thunk-thunk when driving. I'm reasonably certain it's the bearing on that side. This is a semi-float axle, no limited slip in the carrier(I just took the cover off).

I'd eventually like to do the 4x4 swap to this van. With that consideration, and the fact this is a SF not FF axle, I've been thinking of swapping out the rear axle to get a 4.10 or better ratio(I live in Denver and take this thing in the mountains), with a limited or locker. But if I swap the front eventually, it might make sense to swap the rear to a F350 axle now, and just run adapters to use my current wheels(Or maybe run adapters up front, and get a set of F-series wheels). What would be my best candidates for this? I know the spring perches need to be changed. Maybe a few other things?

For ~$100, I can get an axle at my pull n pay yard, which seems like a better deal than spending the time to pull this one apart and fix it.

And according to U-joint, this is a good option:
Q. What axles can I use for the conversion?
A. My kit is designed to use 99-04 Ford F250/350 & Excursion front axles. These came as Dana 50's as well as Dana 60's. These axles have a 38" spring pad width, ball joints & unit bearings. You can retain ABS with these axles (if you choose). The super duty axle is a bolt in unit for this kit, no modification to the axle is needed. When searching for an axle, make sure it's complete with u-bolt plates & a sway bar. If you plan a 6" lift or larger, the upper u-bolt plates will come with the UJOR trac bar kit.
Q. What is done about the bolt pattern difference?
A. The donor axle will have the 8 on 170mm bolt pattern, and the vans are 8 on 6.5". There are a few options to make the change. Option 1: Install rear wheel spacers that change the bolt pattern as well as increase the trac width to match the front. Option 2: Swap the rear axle assembly to a Sterling 10.5" (disc brake)
Am I missing anything?