Winter/snow tires for F-350 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Winter/snow tires for F-350

Old 11-10-2018, 03:41 PM
Wayno1112
New User
Wayno1112 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Winter/snow tires for F-350

I have a 2017 F-350 CrewCab DRW 4WD that I plan to drive in the California, Colorado and Utah mountains this winter. I've been looking online for snow tires but there are very few available for my wheel size & tire spec. Just wondering if any other owners have recommendations for winter/snow tires for their Super Duty trucks.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:00 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tire Rack lists just two choices in size LT245/75R17E: Bridgestone Blizzak LT and Firestone Winterforce LT.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 PM
localrick13
Freshman User
localrick13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you're looking for good snow tires, make sure you get the 3-Peak snowflake rating.

" A three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicates the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing to be considered severe snow service-rated. "

Old 11-10-2018, 04:18 PM
bobv60
Posting Guru
bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.
I went with a slightly taller tire, LT255/80-17 Cooper discovery Maxx. They worked good for my 2011, but wont fit my 2018 F450. they are for sale in NW Oregon if you are interested. total of 7 tires AND wheels all mounted, balanced, and studded 4 stock aluminum a 3 steel wheels. less than 3,000 miles on them.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 PM
GrantGunderson
Freshman User
GrantGunderson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nokian haakapilta lt are the best snow tires money can buy for our trucks. They come in the factory sizes as well.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
DRKBC is starting off with a positive reputation.
I live in BC I can also vouch for the Nokian haakapilta. I have run them on probably 4 trucks. They are great in a variety of conditions (and we see them all) are quiet and have decent life. I ran the Toyo Open Countries and went through them in barely 2 seasons, BF Goodrich which were awful in all winter conditions across the board. Currently we are also running Yokohama Geolander ATís on one truck as it is an all weather tire and this truck wonít do a lot of highway miles. The tire claims 80,000 Kmís and we can run it all year round. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 PM
GrantGunderson
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
I live in BC I can also vouch for the Nokian haakapilta. I have run them on probably 4 trucks. They are great in a variety of conditions (and we see them all) are quiet and have decent life. I ran the Toyo Open Countries and went through them in barely 2 seasons, BF Goodrich which were awful in all winter conditions across the board. Currently we are also running Yokohama Geolander ATís on one truck as it is an all weather tire and this truck wonít do a lot of highway miles. The tire claims 80,000 Kmís and we can run it all year round. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
good luck. I absolutely hated the geolanders.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:25 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
DRKBC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by GrantGunderson View Post

good luck. I absolutely hated the geolanders.
Yes we will see how it goes we have The Nokianís on two trucks and the Yokohamaís on the other. I have no experience with them yet will see how the winter goes.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:08 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Another vote for the Nokians. I ran them on my 2017 F350 dually. They come in the correct size and weight. They come studded or non studded.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:22 AM
coolidge54
Senior User
coolidge54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded here, I laugh in the general direction of snow and ice.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:05 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I ordered Mastercraft MXT 37x12.5r20 with studs.
CooperMastercraft - Courser MXT

If you want 35x12.50r20 or 35x11.5r20 you could go with Mastercraft CXT or Nitto EXO Grapplers and throw studs in them.

CooperMastercraft - Courser CXT

https://m.nittotire.com/light-truck-...ht-truck-tire/

Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by GrantGunderson View Post
Nokian haakapilta lt are the best snow tires money can buy for our trucks. They come in the factory sizes as well.
the problem with Nokians is the size options and the soft tread compound. Itís great for sub freezing temperatures and obviously perfect for snow and ice. But if you live in an area that gets above freezing a few times a winter youíll chew them up fast. I run Blizzaks on my wifeís Mercedes and our previous Honda.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 AM
disker
Senior User
disker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had the Blizzaks on my 2008 Superduty and they were amazing -especially in deep snow. Trying to get them for my 2017 now, but the LT's are new and very hard to come by. I am being told maybe mid December before a new run of them will be out.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM
GrantGunderson
Freshman User
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam View Post

the problem with Nokians is the size options and the soft tread compound. Itís great for sub freezing temperatures and obviously perfect for snow and ice. But if you live in an area that gets above freezing a few times a winter youíll chew them up fast. I run Blizzaks on my wifeís Mercedes and our previous Honda.

I chase snow for a living. (Www.grantgunderson.com) over the years Iíve ran every snow tire on the market. The Nokians are hands down the best snow tire on the market. Bar None. Any so called snow tire that last more then 3 seasons is going to be a horrible snow tire. Thatís a fact. Some wear faster then others. IE the coppers have only ever given me one season max. They had less grip then the Nokian and once they started to wear they where useless. The blizzacks are better for grip then the coopers last slightly longer but Iíve noticed the compound on both seem to change fast as they wear and both loose most of the traction by the second season.

The nokians on other hand consistently give me 2-3 seasons of great grip and the compound doesnít change as they wear. Iím driving all over chasing snow. My home base is the PNW so 50 degree days while at home isnít uncommon and it doesnít affect the wear. Once you get above 70 it does.

Ive never ran into a size issue with the nokians. They come in the same exact size as the factory tires on my lariat. Also in general you want to run a narrower tire for snow then you typically would for a summer highway or mud tire.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Elder User
Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by coolidge54 View Post
Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded here, I laugh in the general direction of snow and ice.
What he said. I ran just the all terrains last winter (it's first winter) on my dually. Squirrely and dangerous. Got the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT/2's (full load range E) with the carbide studs ... words like "amazing", "sticks to road like glue", "what do you mean there's ice? haha", and such don't do them justice. Best winter tire there is for big trucks, as far as I'm concerned. Spendy, but worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.