2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Winter/snow tires for F-350

Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM
crossfirer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For you guys running the Nokian Hakkapelita LT's, how are you finding them. I've got a studded set on my '17 F350 and I am not impressed. A few times when I hit icey patches truck started drifting, and it seems every time starting from a stop rear wheels just start spinning and I barely step on it.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
I like mine. Don't think just because you put good snows on your truck it suddenly can take off in 2WD without spinning. It might spin less, but you still have a major weight bias problem. Overall, you improve grip, braking, and lateral stability.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Maiden666
Airbus driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I like mine. Don't think just because you put good snows on your truck it suddenly can take off in 2WD without spinning. It might spin less, but you still have a major weight bias problem. Overall, you improve grip, braking, and lateral stability.
The wife says studs are 'too noisy'...how is yours for noise?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
The Nokian studs are inserted at the factory from the inside out, and have a rubber "cushion" under them to help prevent damage to the stud and pavement. You can still hear them, but these are probably the quietest studded tire I have ever run. But they are unique in the way they are studded, so it makes sense.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Maiden666
Airbus driver
Originally Posted by DRKBC
I live in BC I can also vouch for the Nokian haakapilta. I have run them on probably 4 trucks. They are great in a variety of conditions (and we see them all) are quiet and have decent life. I ran the Toyo Open Countries and went through them in barely 2 seasons, BF Goodrich which were awful in all winter conditions across the board. Currently we are also running Yokohama Geolander AT’s on one truck as it is an all weather tire and this truck won’t do a lot of highway miles. The tire claims 80,000 Km’s and we can run it all year round. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
What size are you running? Nokian said this morning the LT275/70R18 are not available in non studded...

Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Maiden666
Airbus driver
Originally Posted by troverman
The Nokian studs are inserted at the factory from the inside out, and have a rubber "cushion" under them to help prevent damage to the stud and pavement. You can still hear them, but these are probably the quietest studded tire I have ever run. But they are unique in the way they are studded, so it makes sense.
Thank you sir!!

Old 12-07-2018, 11:54 AM
crossfirer
Junior User
I realize you will still spin on snow & ice, but I find just some frost on the pavement is all it takes. Truck is a long box and I have a fuel/tool combo box that holds 60gals. As for the stud noise I found it isn't too bad have to have the window down to actually hear the studs, mind you I have noticed that quite a few studs are missing already.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by crossfirer
For you guys running the Nokian Hakkapelita LT's, how are you finding them. I've got a studded set on my '17 F350 and I am not impressed. A few times when I hit icey patches truck started drifting, and it seems every time starting from a stop rear wheels just start spinning and I barely step on it.
I realize you will still spin on snow & ice, but I find just some frost on the pavement is all it takes. Truck is a long box and I have a fuel/tool combo box that holds 60gals. As for the stud noise I found it isn't too bad have to have the window down to actually hear the studs, mind you I have noticed that quite a few studs are missing already.
Loving mine. Have put probably 300-500 miles on them so far, lots of in town driving on very slick roads. You're noticing studs missing? After how many miles? I'll have to go check mine.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Up here in Northern BC, Canada, on my second set of Good Year Duratracs, M+S, and 3 peak snowflake rated. I run them all year. We only have 4-5 months of non snow tire weather. I travel several mountain passes all the time. These tires dont wear as fast in warmer weather like a true snow tire, therfor, they are not as soft and flexible at colder temps. Snow tires work best at under 7 degrees C. Last set I had 285/70*18s on the 2005. I put 295/65*18 on the 2017. GY Kevlars down to 4 mm this fall at 41,000 Km all year round driving. I have never studded them, but they are pre-drilled for studs if you really want them.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:44 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
do you put weight over your rear tires in the winter? I put five 80lb tubes of sand in the back; helps alot with traction.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 PM
walker111
5th Wheeling
Always ran blizzacks when I had f 150's . Put them on wives Honda mini van also . They are great. Did not even know they made them in the load range for our trucks. I did lots of research on this also as I wanted a dedicated winter on rims that I could swap myself. Calgary Alberta can have crappy winters!!!

I went with Hankook Ipike and would buy again in a second. Expensive but I only found 3 tires in 20" that were true winters. Ran them on my 2012 and now second winter on my 17 platinum 350. I bet they are 90% as I only put 5k on in the winter. Grip on ice and snow is fantastic, quiet, and they look new. $ 400 a tire but now on winter number 6.
Highly recommend.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:11 PM
crossfirer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Loving mine. Have put probably 300-500 miles on them so far, lots of in town driving on very slick roads. You're noticing studs missing? After how many miles? I'll have to go check mine.
Originally Posted by seville009

do you put weight over your rear tires in the winter? I put five 80lb tubes of sand in the back; helps alot with traction.
I've got around 15,000km on them. This is my 2nd winter on them. Put on around 10,000km last winter and so far around 5,000km this winter. Actually I noticed this past spring when I took them off that there were studs missing.
I've got a fuel tank / tool box combo with 60gals of fuel, might have to add the sand bags as well.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:14 PM
crossfirer
Junior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Up here in Northern BC, Canada, on my second set of Good Year Duratracs, M+S, and 3 peak snowflake rated. I run them all year. We only have 4-5 months of non snow tire weather. I travel several mountain passes all the time. These tires dont wear as fast in warmer weather like a true snow tire, therfor, they are not as soft and flexible at colder temps. Snow tires work best at under 7 degrees C. Last set I had 285/70*18s on the 2005. I put 295/65*18 on the 2017. GY Kevlars down to 4 mm this fall at 41,000 Km all year round driving. I have never studded them, but they are pre-drilled for studs if you really want them.
I actually had a set of Duratracs on my '13 F350 Dually. They worked quite well year round on that dually, and I had mine studded and never lost any studs like I am losing in these Nokians

Old 12-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Haven't lost any studs on my Nokians yet. Will keep an eye on it.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:40 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5000km on mine so far and they’re working well. It’s still a lightly loaded 1ton so it’s gonna spin some when you get on the throttle. They’re much better than the cooper M&S winters that I had before. The best thing about the nokians is that they’re the winter rubber compound the full depth of the tread, unlike the blizzaks. You have to be careful about tire pressure though. If you’re not loaded heavy drop the pressure to 55psi or so otherwise you’ll wear the centre out of the tread. Softer winter tires are all bad for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter/snow tires for F-350