Reload this Page >

3.0L Powerstroke Sales Stagnant

Notices
3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

3.0L Powerstroke Sales Stagnant

Old 11-30-2018, 02:04 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by flumpydog View Post
I did take the new F150 diesel out for a test drive and have to say, it was one of, if not the quietest vehicle I have ever driven, I was really impressed on that front. The power delivery is OK, while it is no 3.5 EB, it was still decent in my opinion. I also do not agree with how Ford has decided to only make it available in the higher trim levels, unless you have a Fleet account. It would be nice as well, if this engine was an option in the Expy's as I would have bought one, but time will tell if this comes to fruition. There is not much of a huge advantage on the fuel mileage front, and I guess it boils down to if you would like to own a diesel vs a gas engine. Around where I live, they do not seem to be disappearing much from the dealer's lots, time will tell how they do.
I'm with you on the Expy's and also that they took away the 5.0 to boot!

After doing a little reading on this engine -- Ford doesn't have a huge development cost to recover, since it is an "old" motor. IMO, it is a stopgap they felt they had to offer while the EcoDiesel Ram and whatever GM has for a light diesel was out. The real Ford answer is likely out in 2022 or so... Achades is coming...

Scott

Old 11-30-2018, 02:23 PM
MG250
Senior User
MG250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't see the F150 diesel being dropped from the line. I would consider one whenever I replace my F250 PS if the F150 PS tows my trailer well and turns out to be reliable. The achilles heel for me may be the reported lack of highway passing power for which the 6.7 does not lack.
I expect manufacturers rebates to come out over the model years as Ford starts to understand what the market will bear, if they can't sell them at their ADV price.
The foolish thought that people who buy $70k vehicles can't buy $30k CD's, perhaps therefore means they are financially inept, holds no water. By that argument everyone driving a new GT40 is living paycheck to paycheck and if you're foolish enough to buy a Bugatti you are just hoping to afford a few months payments before it gets repossessed. Even if you survive the monthly payments you can't afford a oil change or tires so the owner is best filing for bankruptcy immediately and collecting any government assistance they can qualify for.
As John Q Public we aren't given a peak behind the curtain at a manufacturers pricing strategy and if their initial guess is wrong they will adjust accordingly. We do know there is a much larger profit margin in LD trucks than there are in econoboxes. There appears to be a market for diesel 150's/1500's/etc and Ford has a history with doing well on LD trucks and ecomonies of scale will assist Ford as time progresses.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:53 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MG250 View Post
I don't see the F150 diesel being dropped from the line. I would consider one whenever I replace my F250 PS if the F150 PS tows my trailer well and turns out to be reliable. The achilles heel for me may be the reported lack of highway passing power for which the 6.7 does not lack.
I expect manufacturers rebates to come out over the model years as Ford starts to understand what the market will bear, if they can't sell them at their ADV price.
The foolish thought that people who buy $70k vehicles can't buy $30k CD's, perhaps therefore means they are financially inept, holds no water. By that argument everyone driving a new GT40 is living paycheck to paycheck and if you're foolish enough to buy a Bugatti you are just hoping to afford a few months payments before it gets repossessed. Even if you survive the monthly payments you can't afford a oil change or tires so the owner is best filing for bankruptcy immediately and collecting any government assistance they can qualify for.
As John Q Public we aren't given a peak behind the curtain at a manufacturers pricing strategy and if their initial guess is wrong they will adjust accordingly. We do know there is a much larger profit margin in LD trucks than there are in econoboxes. There appears to be a market for diesel 150's/1500's/etc and Ford has a history with doing well on LD trucks and ecomonies of scale will assist Ford as time progresses.
I'm 100% in agreement with you on your 2nd paragraph -- it's a bit out of line for someone to assume another person's financial wherewithal based on a choice of vehicle, or anything else for that matter... But back to the diesel being dropped from the F150 line. I also agree with you here and just to clarify what I was trying to say: the 3.0 may very well be a stop-gap diesel for Ford in an F150, since they don't have a lot of development cost in it, I could see where they just need to have a product to match up with other manufacturers. A good example of a short run diesel in the Ford line would be the 6.4 for only 2 years while Ford was finishing development and testing of their clean sheet design 6.7. That is why I make the point of Achades (which can be run as a Gas or Diesel or Bio or...?), and of course Ford wouldn't be talking about it now, or the 3.0 powerstroke sales would be dead for-sure. Like the much touted 6.4, you didn't hear much other than rumors that it was going to be a 2 year stop-gap engine...

Just wanted to fill in the missing pieces of what I'm speculating is coming down the pike...

Scott

Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 PM
thatdarncat
Junior User
thatdarncat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MG250 View Post
Indeed they are financially foolish! It is clear they are blinded by brand loyalty. Even the f-250 is twice the capability over the 3.0 but the the rebuttal from those with the memorized appeal for the 3.0 do not mention the f-250 as a cost comparison, it of course has to be another mfg outside of Ford. People with a rational point of view will see Ford continually widening the profit margins at the expense of the buyer while simultaneously shortening the truck beds to town car levels in the pursuit of "less is more". Those who are lured into any marketing scheme of predatory brand loyalty are financially inept at best and will soon enough have more month at the end of their money, instead of more more money at the end of the month.
Ford has played the psychology card by equating that anemic powerstroke as a status symbol, it simply has nothing else to offer than just that ....a status symbol because the 3.5 ecoboost can equal it or excel the powerstroke for far less cost. But some folks took the bait and it makes them feel good about themselves with the ability to overcompensate by having something for 30K more than a comparable vehicle. Thus, the psychology card is played by Ford, they just dug and extra 30k out of a gullible pocket just so that they can have a "moment or two" of feeling like they have accomplished something in life. Indeed, this boils down to brand loyalty vs logic and those who refuse to look at the 3.0 powerstroke with logic will also go through life plagued by the same "common sense" of first rate-second rate financial decisions

Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 PM
smokewagun
Elder User
smokewagun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smokewagun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by thatdarncat View Post
Indeed they are financially foolish! It is clear they are blinded by brand loyalty. Even the f-250 is twice the capability over the 3.0 but the the rebuttal from those with the memorized appeal for the 3.0 do not mention the f-250 as a cost comparison, it of course has to be another mfg outside of Ford. People with a rational point of view will see Ford continually widening the profit margins at the expense of the buyer while simultaneously shortening the truck beds to town car levels in the pursuit of "less is more". Those who are lured into any marketing scheme of predatory brand loyalty are financially inept at best and will soon enough have more month at the end of their money, instead of more more money at the end of the month.
Ford has played the psychology card by equating that anemic powerstroke as a status symbol, it simply has nothing else to offer than just that ....a status symbol because the 3.5 ecoboost can equal it or excel the powerstroke for far less cost. But some folks took the bait and it makes them feel good about themselves with the ability to overcompensate by having something for 30K more than a comparable vehicle. Thus, the psychology card is played by Ford, they just dug and extra 30k out of a gullible pocket just so that they can have a "moment or two" of feeling like they have accomplished something in life. Indeed, this boils down to brand loyalty vs logic and those who refuse to look at the 3.0 powerstroke with logic will also go through life plagued by the same "common sense" of first rate-second rate financial decisions
You clearly have an attitude for Ford. Get over it. Your post resonates as "blah blah blah blah blah blah". You throw daggers like Ford is the only one selling short bed trucks and is in the market TO MAKE MONEY. There is no psychology game. It's called marketing. Just because you don't like Ford, or have no desire to own a 3.0L, doesn't mean they are crap, or those who have one on their garage are inept or BRAND loyal.
I started this post because it seemed like sales hadn't taken off. I'm sure it's not because every pending Ford diesel loyalist has dumped Ford and gone to another brand, or people have discovered the Powerstroke badge is like the star on a soccer moms Mercedes wagon. We have choices for a reason. We also have opinions. Yours is just that. Just because Suzy Homemaker wants an F150 with a 3.0L instead of a more-capable F250 with a 6.7L DOESNT make them financially foolish any more than an F250 owner being more foolish than an F550 or over-the-Road truck owner. Give me a break.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 PM
82_F100_300Six
Posting Guru
82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.
I cant believe ford actually went thru with this after both the ecodiesel and titan xd have been a disaster
their next disaster is the new bronco

Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 AM
MG250
Senior User
MG250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't believe anyone invented the automobile especially after horses and trains were already in use and doing just fine, no real roads, horrible infrastructure, and the impact on greenhouse gases over all this time.
The next disaster is space travel, hyper loops, flying cars, and insert any other cutting edge technology.

Technology moves on, companies take calculated risks and some pay off, some don't.
Time will tell.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 PM
flumpydog
Freshman User
flumpydog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six View Post
I cant believe ford actually went thru with this after both the ecodiesel and titan xd have been a disaster
their next disaster is the new bronco
I am not sure exactly what you are meaning by the Ram EcoDiesel and Titan being a disaster or if you are referring to the EPA stuff? I thought that the Ram EcoDiesel had done pretty good selling these, and that is what pushed Ford to finally offer a diesel in the F150 series of trucks. I also thought I had read that the Titan was doing pretty good sales wise for Nissan and they had a considerable increase in their year over year sales numbers.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:12 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
Originally Posted by flumpydog View Post
I am not sure exactly what you are meaning by the Ram EcoDiesel and Titan being a disaster or if you are referring to the EPA stuff? I thought that the Ram EcoDiesel had done pretty good selling these, and that is what pushed Ford to finally offer a diesel in the F150 series of trucks. I also thought I had read that the Titan was doing pretty good sales wise for Nissan and they had a considerable increase in their year over year sales numbers.
The demise of the FCA Ecodiesel (not offered in 2019) might just help the baby 'stroke out -- FCA is going to be penalized HUGE for their cheating on smog regs., but the other side is just how many folks had multiple (and I mean a LOT) of mechanical issues with the Ecodiesel. Eventually the latter would have caught up to their sales success, but Ram 1500 diesels were cheap compared to an F150. We'll all get to see how this plays out...

But it is fun guessing what is behind door number 3...

Scott

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
92F350CC
Posting Guru
92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future
The ecodiesel isn't dead, they just aren't offering it initially. It'll be back, unless something changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: