1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My Experience with POR15

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Years ago I had a buddy that painted water towers. He said they would sandblast them, let them get a rust coating on them and then use a product to paint over the rust. I no longer have him as a friend to ask what paint they used but it was a Proven process they used religiously in the water tower business. Since the water towers are constantly exposed to the elements one would think paint over rust products would be exceptional in our hobby. Just my 2 cents.
Most likely Tnemec, which is great stuff for bridges and water tanks, very expensive, and lasts for decades. But I wouldn't use it to paint a car. Typical coatings are very thick in that industry, and sags/runs/etc. don't matter.
TNEMEC.com

Old 11-10-2018, 11:40 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I understood exactly what Scott was saying I was going to post earlier but didn't want to dodge any sarcasm or sound like i was jumping on the wagon. Most everyone uses PoR 15 for their frames where you may not get all the rust off but few stray from the traditional epoxy over bare metal and then a more higher build primer before top coat ( proven automotive technique ) The pic of the peeling fender made me think the same.If it is holding up after 70 years it will hold another 70. Most all our problem areas is where mud layed.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I have a buddy who used to swear by POR-15 but after having it fail (delamination mostly) in various areas of his truck he has switched to KBS Rust Seal. I have used KBS for years and have never had any problems with it at all...well short of trying to get it off my skin! Don't want to beat a dead horse but I have been doing paint and body work for some 50 years now and would never consider using anything other than a quality DTM (direct to metal) primer on bare sheet metal. Good luck with your project...

Old 11-10-2018, 06:08 PM
hoosier53
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Most likely Tnemec, which is great stuff for bridges and water tanks, very expensive, and lasts for decades. But I wouldn't use it to paint a car. Typical coatings are very thick in that industry, and sags/runs/etc. don't matter.
TNEMEC.com
We used a product called ‘Cantol’ where I worked at. Probably similar type stuff.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:15 PM
54TexasF100
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I am just a simple man but the name of the stuff is paint over rust (POR) not POBM? All the prep stuff sells so good marketing on their part.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:51 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
I have had good luck with POR on stuff that would be near impossible to get back to clean metal like the interior of doors and running it through tight spots like the bed pockets and cab frame intervals. I would be afraid to use it over finished sheet metal and then building on top of it if I was blocking it. I would be afraid I would sand through it in places leaving a rust pit exposed not treated only to bubble up the paint with corrosion down the road.

That said I did paint my frame with it and top coated with their top coat product and the results seem to be holding well although that build has not been exposed to any elements so far. The top coat is not as impervious to solvents such as gasoline. On the first fire of the engine, a leaky fuel line caused me to back track a little. Easily fixable but just something to be aware of.

JB

Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
Good luck with your paint job, sorry if I came across badly. I know absolutely nothing.
Ha ha - I only wish I knew as much as you have forgotten about body work Scott!!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks Jerry for the tip about the degreaser. If it was so critical though the manufacturer should really dilute it for you, I have tried their metal prep and didn't think it did much at all. Seems to me that it is acting like an etch primer so where the surface is too smooth you can still have problems with peeling. I would use POR for brake drums or my wheelbarrow frame but not on large surfaces areas or anywhere there is new or shiny metal.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:11 AM
g-money-55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that have been there. Ill be removing the bed to replace it in a month or so and my BIL thinks he can get us a small sandblaster to take care of most of the rust on the frame. If one has it down to nice clean metal what is the best option Prime and paint with regular epoxy paint?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by g-money-55
For those that have been there. Ill be removing the bed to replace it in a month or so and my BIL thinks he can get us a small sandblaster to take care of most of the rust on the frame. If one has it down to nice clean metal what is the best option Prime and paint with regular epoxy paint?
I did the same, and still painted it with POR. I had a very small amount of flash rust only.

JB

JB

Old 11-13-2018, 11:30 AM
hulleywoodworking
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
I blasted my frame to bare metal, including getting all of the rust out of the pits. I just used epoxy after that.

Given that POR 15 may not stick well to clean bare steel, I would strongly advise against it. My research impressed upon me just how strong, tough, durable, and sticky the epoxy primer is that I personally don't believe that POR 15 is even close.

Just my $.02.

John

Old 11-13-2018, 12:40 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I always learned that you must prime bare metal first.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:03 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've seen complaints like this, regarding POR, for a number of years. Considering my massive CRS affliction it seems to me most, but not all, of the problems occurred when used on sheet metal or overly-prepared metal. We use the stuff on fire trucks all the time and have little to no issues. Basically we knock off the loose stuff (flaking rust/paint), spray what remains with brake clean and wipe off with a shop rag. Then use a cheap foam brush to slob it on, brushing it out to a thin coat. Most of the apparatus around here will be in service for 15 - 20 years and it will still be in place unless it's been physically damaged. Maybe multiple layers aren't a good idea? Maybe thinner, more flexible steel breaks the bond as it shrinks/stretches/flexes? Maybe spraying vs. brush? We also only use the little 4 oz. cans to control waste - once you open it there's no going back to the same product quality, even if you can get the lid back off. LOL. I'm more of a mind to not use it on a large scale since it's like epoxy - if the surface fractures it will allow moisture behind it, trapping it between the metal and coating, making the problem worse. For under-car protection I'd be looking for something that doesn't completely cure like heavy wax-based or rubbery/asphalt type products. Think: self-healing. Personally, I would never recommend POR for a base/paint primer, but I'm no expert. Just random thoughts...

Old 11-13-2018, 07:44 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CBeav
I We also only use the little 4 oz. cans to control waste - once you open it there's no going back to the same product quality, even if you can get the lid back off. LOL.

For under-car protection I'd be looking for something that doesn't completely cure like heavy wax-based or rubbery/asphalt type products. Think: self-healing. Personally, I would never recommend POR for a base/paint primer, but I'm no expert. Just random thoughts...
I prefer and use the little cans too. But the bigger cans are cheaper in the long run. You can keep it usable longer by placing a sheet of shrink/cling wrap over the top of the open can. Then push it down until it touches the surface of the paint. This forces the air/moisture out of the can. Make sure the sheet is big enough to go over the edges of the can. Then put the lid back on the can and store it in a refrigerator ( not one with food in it ) . This keeps all the paint usable except for a skim layer on the surface of the paint. That greatly increases the shelf life of a larger open can. And the cling wrap also makes it so the lid doesn't get glued to the can by the paint.

Do not use any kind of rubber/asphalt type of undercoating. Some of the rustiest vehicles I've ever owned were undercoated. Including a poor 56 F250. Huge sections of the floors and fenders were missing. With all that was left was rubber undercoating. It held moisture against the metal and rotted it away. What I've found works the best is a oil mixture that you coat the under side of the vehicle with. That's where the guys in the northeast and Canada have it right. Just recoat the underside every fall. It's a mess when you need to work on things but it drastically cuts down/stops the rust.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Roger Walling
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POR15 is made to go over firm RUST!
NOT sandblasted metal of clean metal.
I had some POR left over and seen my rusty trailer sitting over in the field looking very sad.
I took a roller and without even taking the dust off of it, I painted the whole thing.
years later it still had no flaking or rust showing, although it did turn flat and lost its shine.

Remember rule number one! Use it over rust!