Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trailer brake controller woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:03 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Trailer brake controller woes

Having an issue with my trailer brake controller wiring. The problem is my brake controller is not registering the trailer is hooked up when it is in fact hooked up. 4 months ago I pulled my hauler up to Shaver lake and everything worked fine.

So what I've done so far is had a friend hook up his truck to my trailer and his controller registered that the toy hauler was connected. Therefore I can eliminate the problem being in the toy hauler wiring. I've also installed a known good controller in my truck and the same issue. So I can eliminate the problem being the controller.... I have a wiring issue. Both grounds are good on the round connector at the back of the truck and all fuses are good.........
I'm usually good at diagnosing wiring issues but this brake controller and the way it works is kicking my ***.
Any help would be GREAT!!!
Truck is an '02 F250

Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Try running a jumper from the truck to the trailer. It can be as simple as a set of jumper cables Black/Black, if that solves it you have a ground issue. Any work done to back of the truck? Try your multimeter on the 7 pin check to see if the pins work using the 7 pins ground.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:18 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Try running a jumper from the truck to the trailer. It can be as simple as a set of jumper cables Black/Black, if that solves it you have a ground issue. Any work done to back of the truck? Try your multimeter on the 7 pin check to see if the pins work using the 7 pins ground.
Ok I tried what you said. I jumpered the positive, negative and trailer brakes from the round female receptical on the back of the truck to the trailer plug. Still the same outcome.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mototrig
Ok I tried what you said. I jumpered the positive, negative and trailer brakes from the round female receptical on the back of the truck to the trailer plug. Still the same outcome.
‘Just hook one jump to the receiver on the truck the other to the tongue of the trailer with everything hooked up....does that change anything? Maybe I wasn’t clear...

Old 11-17-2018, 04:33 PM
mototrig
Tuned

‘Just hook one jump to the receiver on the truck the other to the tongue of the trailer with everything hooked up....does that change anything? Maybe I wasn’t clear...
Forgive me, not sure I follow.....if everything is hooked up which wire specifically do I jumper?
Also i ran a jumper from inside the cab on the controller harness. There are four wires on the controller: White, black, red and blue. I checked continuity between the white and the receiver ground and it has good continuity. I also checked the BLUE wire to the receiver brake controlcontroller (also blue) and no continuity. Did I just find my problem??

Old 11-17-2018, 04:35 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Here are some pictures for reference.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Ok, the BLUE wiring is for the electric brakes.

Take a set of jumper cables, and we will use the black leads. Hook one end of the jumper cables to the receiver on the truck. Hook the other end of the black cable to the tongue of the trailer. Basically this grounds the truck to the trailer...Does your brake controller now register the trailer?

Do you have power at the blue pin on the truck?

Old 11-17-2018, 04:52 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Ok, the BLUE wiring is for the electric brakes.

Take a set of jumper cables, and we will use the black leads. Hook one end of the jumper cables to the receiver on the truck. Hook the other end of the black cable to the tongue of the trailer. Basically this grounds the truck to the trailer...Does your brake controller now register the trailer?

Do you have power at the blue pin on the truck?

Ok I understand now. I misunderstood the type of jumper. I did what you said, black lead to the trailer tongue and truck receiver grounding the truck and trailer together. The controller still is not registering.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Ok, Check the #2 or blue pin for power on the truck with your meter, You’ll need a block of wood or have somebody touch the brakes while you check with your meter.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:13 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Ok, Check the #2 or blue pin for power on the truck with your meter, You’ll need a block of wood or have somebody touch the brakes while you check with your meter.
Ok so I had my son help me by pressing the brake and I check for voltage. I did not have any power to the blue pin on the 7 way. I chased it back and found a broken connector. I spliced in a new connector and had my son help me again. I have voltage to the blue pin now but only about 1.5v Should it be that low? I'm going to backup to my trailer and try the connection. Wish me luck

Old 11-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Ok so I had my son help me by pressing the brake and I check for voltage. I did not have any power to the blue pin on the 7 way. I chased it back and found a broken connector. I spliced in a new connector and had my son help me again. I have voltage to the blue pin now but only about 1.5v Should it be that low? I'm going to backup to my trailer and try the connection. Wish me luck
‘The voltages will depend on the setting of the controller. You should see the voltage change as you change the setting on the controller. Change the settings you’ll see increasing voltage...

Old 11-17-2018, 09:22 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Colorado350 thank you for all the troubleshooting advice!!! You really saved me!!
hopefully this thread will help someone in the future diagnose their problem.
And yes you were right again, my brake controller was turned down. As I turned it up the voltage increased at the 7 pin.
If you're reading this CHECK THE BLUE WIRE!!!

Old 11-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 thank you for all the troubleshooting advice!!! You really saved me!!
hopefully this thread will help someone in the future diagnose their problem.
And yes you were right again, my brake controller was turned down. As I turned it up the voltage increased at the 7 pin.
If you're reading this CHECK THE BLUE WIRE!!!
‘Glad you got it fixed.