To Tow or not to Tow - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

To Tow or not to Tow

Old 11-08-2018, 07:11 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
1954wrecker is starting off with a positive reputation.
To Tow or not to Tow

Looking for fourm opinions.

When I bought my truck the plan was to remove the tow rig and to use the truck as Home Depot runner when needed. After a few weeks of ownernship I really started to like the ‘tow truck’ aspect and it adds a lot of character but it makes the truck mostly useless as a truck. When I take the truck to shows people really like the tow rig.

I’m taking the rig out now as the truck won’t fit in my garage with it on and I want to replace the bed wood. The tow rig is not easy to get on and off and space is limited at my house.

Should i I keep it or ditch it? As a side note, the tow rig is worth about $1500-$2000 so it would fund a few projects if I sold it.

This truck was a tow rig/ gas station truck since day one, I’m not sure if it was installed by Ford or not but this truck has a lot of history with the tow rig.

interested to hear your thoughts.

Chris

Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User

Old 11-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.
That is so cool! But I see what you mean about using it as a truck with the boom in the way. Tough choice!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:57 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
I spent a few years in my younger days driving a tow truck, so they have a real soft spot in my heart, which of course makes me extremely biased. If it were me, not that that really matters, I'd keep it as a tow truck and get a little trailer to pull behind for the home depot duty. You have to do what works best for you, but with the history and all, it would be a shame to lose it, imho.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 PM
merten
Elder User
merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.merten has a very good reputation on FTE.
This might not be the answer you want to hear but I think that truck is way cool the way it sits and I would not remove anything from its history as a tow truck.
It might not be the truck you need, and you might think about trading it with someone with a F100 or 250 that would fit into your garage.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Thanks for all of the input.

option C is to store the tow rig Incase I ever want it, maybe that’s the best plan.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Moe Craig
Postmaster
Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.Moe Craig has a great reputation on FTE.
I like it as a tow truck….very few were... is it a PTO unit off the trans? Put a receiver hitch on it and I'm with 52 Merc on getting a trailer, a 54 pickup bed trailer would look great behind it! I keep looking for a long bed or a short bed to replace my '80 Ch3vy PU bed on my trailer, maybe some day!

Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Moe Craig View Post
I like it as a tow truck….very few were... is it a PTO unit off the trans? Put a receiver hitch on it and I'm with 52 Merc on getting a trailer, a 54 pickup bed trailer would look great behind it! I keep looking for a long bed or a short bed to replace my '80 Ch3vy PU bed on my trailer, maybe some day!
There is no PTO, it has a hand crank and a electric motor.

-Chris

Old 11-09-2018, 04:00 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
The winch has more stories to tell than the truck. The winch is a HLU-196D/E WWll bomb hoist, rated at 1,500 lbs. single line, and 3,000 lbs double line. It looks like a pretty decent fabrication job too. If it was my truck I'd mount the tow rig on a skid that could be easily attached and detached for shows. My dad had a '29 Plymouth pickup wrecker for his garage back in the '40's

Scroll down for your winch info. They also had a model with a small gas engine instead of an electric motor.
http://navybmr.com/study%20material/...4313B_ch09.pdf

Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Option C sounds like a winner to me. The truck has a very worthy look without the hoist and has earned all of its character. Let it only wear the rig on special occasions.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:16 AM
1954wrecker
Senior User

Mixerman - the winch does look like that navy unit but mine was made by Manley Auto Cranes out of York PA. I suspect it was only used to tow cars.

That being said, this truck was supposedly used as a track truck at Trenton Motor Speedway. I wish I could find some pictures!

Old 11-09-2018, 08:19 AM
jcslocum
Senior User
jcslocum is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree with Mixer. Make is a quick detach device and take inn on and off. Doesn't look real heavy so maybe an engine hoist would do it.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
I vote for Mixerman's idea! Sounds like a good compromise.... if you have room to store the wrecking crane when not in use.

If you read the details on the vintage ad it says this crane's mechanism was proved in the grueling tests of war. And it has a special device that was developed for an important war time job! So it is very similar to the bomb hoist Mixerman was talking about.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Just another Joe
Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
I agree with Mixer. Make is a quick detach device and take inn on and off. Doesn't look real heavy so maybe an engine hoist would do it.
If you had an attachment point high enough, you could use the hoist to lift itself. Just a thought...

Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud of
If it was mine I would just leave it mounted and restore the truck back to the condition it was in it's glory days. Find someone who can hand letter the door the way it was with with the addition of my name and location. I can understand not wanting the tow truck set up on it all of the time but I wouldn't want to hassle with it taking it off and on. It is an awesome looking truck as is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.