To Tow or not to Tow - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

To Tow or not to Tow

Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well what ever you decide the bottom line is your saving another one!....... definitely keep the patina on it!.... it's great ...plus you have the story......I would opt to loose the boom to keep it in the garage.....plus I'm sure back in the day if the gas station got a new tow truck...they would take out the boom and retire this one .....maybe making it just a service truck.....either way what a great truck....

Old 11-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Ya gotta leave it

Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Single rear wheel wreckers are really not that desirable. It would be OK towing Priuses I guess. I would take the rig out of this truck as it sounds like you will have more use for it as a hauler than a tower (towwer?). But I would sell the tow rig or find a dual rear wheel F3.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:23 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud of
I remember seeing quite a few single wheel axled tow trucks when I was a kid. At the time I think they were used by a lot of small shops. I would leave it as it is, but with nice shiney paint. I think its uniqueness with the boom really adds to the truck.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
1954wrecker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
Single rear wheel wreckers are really not that desirable. It would be OK towing Priuses I guess. I would take the rig out of this truck as it sounds like you will have more use for it as a hauler than a tower (towwer?). But I would sell the tow rig or find a dual rear wheel F3.
I wonít actually tow anything with this, itís just for looks.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:12 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1954wrecker View Post

I wonít actually tow anything with this, itís just for looks.
It would look even better with a friend's vintage Chevy truck on the hook.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of

Mixerman - the winch does look like that navy unit but mine was made by Manley Auto Cranes out of York PA. I suspect it was only used to tow cars.

That being said, this truck was supposedly used as a track truck at Trenton Motor Speedway. I wish I could find some pictures!

Maybe it wouldn't sound good if they said it was made from a bomb hoist. But I must admit that they were also built by Kelsey-Hayes and Food Machinery.

Last edited by Mixer man; 11-09-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Wow, you were right.

How did you know this?

The value of my truck just went up, I can market it to tow truck guys and Navy guys.

Thanks for the info!

Chris

Old 11-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Wow, you were right. How did you know this?
It's a coincidence. I worked at a shop that rebuilt all kinds of military vehicles and equipment, and we had a few of these set up as cherry picker engine hoists. The electric one was 24 volts. Kinda slow but powerful.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:53 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Chris, I am hoping to see that truck at the 2019 Penn Truckstock. Why, you might even tow one of our trucks back to the campground with it when they break down.
But I can fully understand the height clearance issue too.
Its a tough choice and I hope the end result is that the hoist and winch can still remain on the truck somehow.
Tom

Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 AM
DadOh1
Junior User
DadOh1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
As a fellow '54 owner, my only suggestion is: "Whatever lets, or allows you, or makes you want to drive it the most that you possibly can!"
But, I work at Lowe's, and would recommend you come to my place instead of Home Depot, but Sacramento is rather far from Pennsylvania.

But then again, that WOULD make you drive it the most that you possibly can....

Jerry

Old 11-11-2018, 06:05 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User

Thank you everyone for your input, itís great to hear everyoneís thoughts.

Before I started working on removing the tow rig I landed on the idea of holding onto the rig and maybe putting it back in on occasion as most of you suggested in one form or another.

Now that the tow rig is removed, and I found that itís not all that easy to get in and out, and a little heavier than I expected...Iím not so sure.

Also, I sorta like the look of the truck without the rig and the potential to use it as a Home Depot / Loweís runner as initially planned.

So we will see, but I might sell. It might depend on how much room it takes up in the shed.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:12 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.

Thank you everyone for your input, itís great to hear everyoneís thoughts.
Before I started working on removing the tow rig I landed on the idea of holding onto the rig and maybe putting it back in on occasion as most of you suggested in one form or another.
Now that the tow rig is removed, and I found that itís not all that easy to get in and out, and a little heavier than I expected...Iím not so sure.
Also, I sorta like the look of the truck without the rig and the potential to use it as a Home Depot / Loweís runner as initially planned.
So we will see, but I might sell. It might depend on how much room it takes up in the shed.
Chris, I love the patina of your truck and the old ESSO logo. Your Shop Truck has a double bumper for pushing and a grille guard already. Here is an idea of something you could do to your Shop Truck, if you can get an old sign painter to paint to make it look old and faded. Or maybe you can get decals made to look old...

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
Ahh, shiney paint, way better looking than patina.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by bobj49f2 View Post
Ahh, shiney paint, way better looking than patina.
I usually agree with you on that point Bob, but that ESSO sign is the real deal, it would be a shame to paint over it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.