Still have the misfire sometimes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

Still have the misfire sometimes

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Motrukdriver
Freshman User
Motrukdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.

I still have the occasional misfire and rough running but it does clear up if I use some injector cleaner. This time I used some Chevron Techron injector cleaner and the engine ran a lot better with less misfire. Sometimes I can go for days till it returns. So, I'm thinking it needs new fuel injectors. Little Red is a 1996 with about 160k on the engine and when I got the new fuel pump in what fuel that came out of the old one and filter was green and chunky. I'll try a few more injector treatments and see if maybe it will dislodge more crap but after that I'm just gonna replace them and see how that works.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:56 PM
crazypaw
Senior User
crazypaw is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi Motrukdriver,
I still have the occasional misfire and rough running but it does clear up if I use some injector cleaner. This time I used some Chevron Techron injector cleaner and the engine ran a lot better with less misfire. Sometimes I can go for days till it returns. So, I'm thinking it needs new fuel injectors. Little Red is a 1996 with about 160k on the engine and when I got the new fuel pump in what fuel that came out of the old one and filter was green and chunky. I'll try a few more injector treatments and see if maybe it will dislodge more crap but after that I'm just gonna replace them and see how that works.
Looks like your pulling a residue through your gas-lines...green stuff? Slow and steady may win this race?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:20 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
This was a resurrected flood vehicle from earlier this year here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...puttering.html
Is this "green stuff" after you had the fuel tank dropped & it and the fuel lines flushed when you changed the fuel filter back in April ? If no tank flush, have you since changed the fuel filter again & opened it up to see what it's filtered out ?

Have you cleaned & greased the injectors electrical connectors with Fords specified contact grease, so they didn't corrode ?

I forgot to ask then & this question doesn't have any thing to do with the engine miss, so just curious but seeing as how the drive train was under water, did you ever have the differential, tranny & brake fluids flushed, as water could have gotten in through their vents ?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 AM
Motrukdriver
Freshman User
Motrukdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
It was all cleaned out when they pulled the tank, fuel pump, filter etc. I think it's just gunk stuck in the injectors that may or may not get cleaned out with this cleaner stuff. I've run a few bottles of that Berryman B12 thru it and that helped but didn't fully fix it. This Techron injector cleaner seems like it's working since the miss is greatly diminished. Everything in the drive line was flushed out and fluids replaced. Radiator, brake lines and anything that got creek water in it was drained and cleaned. Funny since the windshield washer reservoir was the only thing that didn't get filled up. Oh, new battery too and odd how the headlight housings filled up with water and when I got those drained the bulbs still worked. Little Red runs like brand new except for when this random miss starts and it quits just as fast. You'll be driving along and it starts a little stutter then it straightens out and all is good. Best part is no flood smell at all inside the cab. Can't hardly believe those speakers still work... So, if this and maybe another bottle of the injector cleaner doesn't do the trick I'm just gonna replace the injectors and make sure the connectors are all cleaned off.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:29 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Ok good feedback & to hear all was flushed out.

Since this is a 96 & is OBD-2, have your ELM scan tool & running FORScan diagnostic software on the viewing device of your choice & have it query the system misfire monitor to see which cylinder/s are having the intermittent problem.
Then seeing as how the Techron seems to be cleaning something up, go to that cylinders fuel injector for inspection of the injectors internal sintered filter. It may be clogged up from "green stuff" that was fine enough to have gotten past the fuel filter. If so, maybe replace the sintered filter, or try back flushing it with a good quality throttle body spray cleaner & see if you can see it removing anything. A lot less costly than replacing the injectors if they don't need it.
More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find & how it goes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.