2013 ford f150 ecoboost torque converter issues - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Reload this Page >

2013 ford f150 ecoboost torque converter issues

Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 ford f150 ecoboost torque converter issues

Old 11-15-2018, 08:23 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by mandy2013! View Post

Thank you! I think Ive finally convinced my husband through all the info the others have provided me to look back into their suggestions rather than proceeding with the TC. Im terrified now that the CAT will be trash due to how long weve put this off.
I appreciate everything from everyone!!!!

Sorry Mandy, I've been on vacay for a few days so I'm just catching back up. With 160K on the clock and assuming that none of the coils have been changed, ever, I'd spring for a set of coils (already come with new boots) and new plugs. I'd also get that transmission flushed at the dealer, I believe that on the six speed it's running on average of $200 - $250. Money well spent and the cooling system should be flushed as well.

I promise you, all of this will fall far short of a new TC.

Keep us in the loop!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 AM
mandy2013!
New User
mandy2013! is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update:

Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Sorry Mandy, I've been on vacay for a few days so I'm just catching back up. With 160K on the clock and assuming that none of the coils have been changed, ever, I'd spring for a set of coils (already come with new boots) and new plugs. I'd also get that transmission flushed at the dealer, I believe that on the six speed it's running on average of $200 - $250. Money well spent and the cooling system should be flushed as well.

I promise you, all of this will fall far short of a new TC.

Keep us in the loop!
OMG!! To ALL you guys that gave your helpful advise... I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!
Wednesday evening my husband followed all the advice given and I believe spent between $300/$400 on parts and did the work himself to replace all. My beautiful baby ran like CHAMP allllll day yesterday & so far today! I see there are a few more things you have recommend & I plan to get to that ASAP. Thanks soooo much for saving me the time & expense of the TC!!!! Yall are the BEST! Many THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Mandy

Old 11-17-2018, 06:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation

OMG!! To ALL you guys that gave your helpful advise... I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!
Wednesday evening my husband followed all the advice given and I believe spent between $300/$400 on parts and did the work himself to replace all. My beautiful baby ran like CHAMP allllll day yesterday & so far today! I see there are a few more things you have recommend & I plan to get to that ASAP. Thanks soooo much for saving me the time & expense of the TC!!!! Yall are the BEST! Many THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Mandy

You are so welcome and come back to visit with us.

Take your bow gentlemen, the lady was gracious enough to keep us in the loop.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:47 PM
mandy2013!
New User
Updated, update:

You are so welcome and come back to visit with us.

Take your bow gentlemen, the lady was gracious enough to keep us in the loop.
Guys H E L P! Sooo the kids and I left the DFW area yesterday evening to do a quick road trip to San Antonio, the lucky husband got to stay home lol!
Things as I stated above were SPECTACULAR for a couple of days after the spark plugs, boots & whatever that 3rd thing was that I cant seem to remember at the moment were replaced.
Well we were hauling ___ down 35 having a good old time letting the horses run cuz why not, my baby (the truck) was feeling GREAT! All of a sudden I put my foot in it and... She started to shudder, the yellow check engine light began to flash and she went into like a limp mode till the light stopped flashing. Luckily the light didnt stay one but Im DREADING telling the husband the same problem is back. 😲😒😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
I plan to have the transmission serviced as advised above but damnit Im dreading telling the husband!!
THOUGHTS???????????
thanks Mandy

Old 11-18-2018, 07:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
^^^

Did he replace all six coils and plugs? If so, did he at least use the proper Motorcraft plugs?

If so, then I'm leaning towards some moisture ingestion. Did he drill the hole in the intercooler? Some people are dead set against this and that's fine.

There could be other issues but these are the most simple and the most common.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I plan to have the transmission serviced as advised above
That isn't a bad thing to do but it absolutely will NOT fix the problem that is making the check engine light flash. The ONLY thing that can make the check engine light flash is misfire. You still have a problem, but the transmission isn't the cause.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 AM
mandy2013!
New User
^^^

Did he replace all six coils and plugs? If so, did he at least use the proper Motorcraft plugs?

If so, then I'm leaning towards some moisture ingestion. Did he drill the hole in the intercooler? Some people are dead set against this and that's fine.

There could be other issues but these are the most simple and the most common.
Hi!
Yes sir, did drill the hole and was surprised by what came out. He also did the plugs, boots and I want to say ignition switchs but that last thing could be wrong (female brain). I just know if I tell him its acting up again hes gonna give me the speech about I told you it was the TC but I just did what you wanted me to blah blah blah.
H E L P 😬😁

Old 11-18-2018, 02:47 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
The only advice that I can offer at this point is to take it to the dealer and have the code(s) read and then go from there.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:27 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I just know if I tell him its acting up again hes gonna give me the speech about I told you it was the TC but I just did what you wanted me to blah blah blah.
H E L P 😬😁
Tell him I said that the torque converter CANNOT make the check engine light flash. The problem is in the engine, not the torque converter.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
70f100longbed
Posting Guru
70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a great reputation on FTE.
Need to get the codes read. Most likely you have a cracked plug. New does not always mean good.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
It could also be a fuel injector, a problem with the wiring to a coil, or a problem with the wiring to an injector.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: