Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Ryan2018
New User
Ryan2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Southern Missouri. 2002 Ford F250 7.3. Only electrical modification is a TS chip.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Ryan2018
New User
Ok, DieselDenny, your making the most sense, I'm not to concerned with the voltage drain at this time, I just want to get my 4x4 fixed, and I cant figure out why there isn't any power to it, but i'm almost positive that all the issues happend at once.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 AM
PrescottIce
Senior User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Ryan2018 View Post
Southern Missouri. 2002 Ford F250 7.3. Only electrical modification is a TS chip.
The wiring diagrams show that power door locks use fuse 19 and 50. ESOF uses 31, 33, 34, and 45. In addition, the Electronic Shift Control troubleshooting section refers to checking fuses 27 and 59. It appears that the two systems do not share a common circuit, other than ground. It is never a bad idea to check/clean grounds as a matter of routine practice.

As the ESC troubleshooting section is dozens of steps long, I would recommend getting a decent OBDII reader and Forscan to retrieve all the Diagnostic Trouble Codes and buy at least the CD version of the shop manual to get the pinpoint testing procedures. As long as you already have a Windows laptop, you'll only be into both for about $70 - an investment that will pay for itself rather quickly.

More information about the door lock fuse blowing: does it blow immediately upon insertion or do you have to actuate the switch (lock or unlock) before it goes? My guess is that will be a much simpler resolution than the ESC, unless you find two chafed wires in the same harness - one grounded causing the blown fuse, and one open causing no power to the ESC.

You said you fixed the glovebox light. What was the issue, and what did you do to fix it?

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but multiple unrelated electrical issues sometimes have an origin in the GEM, which can get wet from a leaky windshield gasket. A chafed/grounded wiring harness may also be the culprit. But without reading the DTCs, it's either an arduous pinpoint test procedure or it's all just guessing.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
02_FSD_ESC 34-02.pdf (12.1 KB, 5 views)
02_FSD_ESC 34-05.pdf (18.5 KB, 1 views)
02_FSD_ESC 34-04.pdf (16.9 KB, 1 views)
02_FSD_ESC 34-03.pdf (14.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Ryan2018
New User
FOUND IT!!!!!

4x4 module behind the glove box bottom side.

4x4 mobule behind glove box top.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations on finding it and thanks for reporting back on it.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 PM
PrescottIce
Senior User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Now... what burned it up?

Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Congratulations on the find. Was following this one because of the bleach smell. Never smelled a burnt board that smells like bleach. They have a very distinct smell. Weird!

Good job, thx for finishing thread. Need more of that.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Ryan2018
New User
Well. It looks like it may have had some water run on it from the look of the dust on it. Maybe the stupid windshield leaking. So now....does anyone have suggestions on on who has the best replacement? I'm gonna seal the new one up and make it a bit more waterproof or I my just have the windshield resealed. But yea, that smell was very distinct, It smelled like i left a towel from the city pool in there,it was bad!!!!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 AM
PrescottIce
Senior User
Now, for the power door locks!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Ryan2018
New User
Well.......I'm not to sure there isn't some "tying in" of those 2. I noticed that when I took out the module, I had the radio on but the motor wasn't running in the truck and i opened up the door and the radio didn't go off. In the past, if I pull in the driveway and turn off the engine, the radio would play until I opened the door or the radio timed out. With the module unhooked, It wasn't doing that, so I'm hopping that they are tied together somehow. Kinda like a coupe years ago when I honked the horn and the engine would instantly die!!!! It ended up being the cam position sensor. The wiring on these things are a bit "odd" at best. So as soon as I find another 4wd module for a decent price we shall see if everything does back to normal.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:14 AM
PrescottIce
Senior User
Mine did that a couple weeks ago, it was as if the truck wasn't sensing the door open after ignition off. It did it a couple/few times, just long enough for me to replicate the issue and start thinking about it, then it went back to normal.

Electrical issues aren't fun, intermittent electrical issues are downright nasty.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
If the door switch isn't working right the radio could keep playing. That's controlled by a different part; battery saver module I think it's called. Supposedly in the instrument cluster but I haven't researched it much.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Ryan2018
New User
Mine only done it yesterday when I unplugged the 4wd shift control module, so i'm certain it had something to to with it. But I could care less about that right now. I do know that the board shorting out is enough to drain my batteries. Whether or not people believe it or not, that's up to them, but all these things happened at the same time, so i'm just waiting to pt in a new module and see how many things become normal again.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
I'd like to know how much that module is going to cost. I also have a sneaking suspicion it will need to be programmed by the dealer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.