Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE BEST UPGRADE FOR A V10 IS:

Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM
rock2610d
Posting Guru
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
Gears are ok, but transmission upgrades are a better solution in my opinion.

1 to 3 hours and a few hundred dollars can have custom valve bodies installed.

30 minutes and a few hundred will have a custom program installed.

That's 75 to 80% of the task.

clutches and converter can wait but at 1st oprertunity they should be installed.

I live at 7800 ft and my V10 is 20% down on power because of that. That is basically a 5.4L power out of a V10.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Gears are an exact increase in torque-to-the-ground. From 3.73 to 4.30 is (4.30/3.73)=1.15 - a 15% increase.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:28 PM
truckfella
Elder User
truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.
With 5-star tunes loaded (and the accompanying increase in shift pressure), my tranny shifts VERY FIRM with even moderate skinny pedal. Like to the point where I sometimes worry about U-joints. I can't imagine driving this thing with stock software having owned 5-star for years now. It's easily been the best relatively low $$$ upgrade I've done.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM
rock2610d
Posting Guru
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
Has anyone ever tried the PCS transmission controller?

I see it is a complete transmission programming suite. You can tune transmission just like some people tune a pcm.

pricy at $750 though.

https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/Performance_Aftermarket/Products/Transmission_Products/TCM2800_Transmission_Controller/A-TCM2800/

Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Sancho
Senior User
Sancho is starting off with a positive reputation.
The power train is fine . Just need a larger fuel tank .

Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 AM
makemeknowit
Senior User
makemeknowit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gears and a 5Star by far. I did 4.56's and a 5Star at the same time and it totally changed the truck. No way a custom built trans is going to outshine gears/tuner combo. I agree with the allison trans "wish" but that'll never come true.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:25 AM
rock2610d
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by makemeknowit View Post
Gears and a 5Star by far. I did 4.56's and a 5Star at the same time and it totally changed the truck. No way a custom built trans is going to outshine gears/tuner combo. I agree with the allison trans "wish" but that'll never come true.
​​​​​​
most of 5 stars tune is for the transmission not the engine.

even they realize the transmission is the key upgrade.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:29 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by rock2610d View Post
​​​​​​
most of 5 stars tune is for the transmission not the engine.

even they realize the transmission is the key upgrade.
True, the tunes do more for the trans shift strategy, which does make a very nice improvement in how the trucks run down the road, especially under high loads like seen while towing heavy. But they also make the most of the engine output within the capacity of the stock injectors and timing curves, I see a noticeable performance increase between my 87 and 89 Octane Performance tunes, nothing huge but it's there under the skinny pedal when needed.
As far as 5Star realizing that the trans is the key upgrade, I don't think they sell any gear upgrade packages. . They, as a TUNING company seem to focus on the tunes and items that directly impact the tunes, like intakes and headers. I think downstream items like gears are outside their wheelhouse as a tuning company, that shouldn't be taken as meaning that a nice tighter shift strategy (with no additional trans gears or ratio changes) is superior to improved final drive ratios. I've got both (plus good headers) and the gears were hands down a bigger performance increase than the tunes (which are very nice), no question about it.
I don't see how a stronger and tighter trans rebuild that doesn't add any new gears or change any internal ratios can bring that additional performance, better drive ability sure but where exactly is the performance gains coming from? But hey, you seem convinced that a well built TC and trans are the hot ticket to better performance, so go ahead and prove me wrong. . I have another five years of heavy towing in front of me with my EX and may need to deal with the trans at some point, so I do look forward to seeing what you can do with yours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.