2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How to fix the wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Maiden666
Wow..intersting reading. My ‘19 is still at the dealer having the AMP power steps, steering stabilizer and level kit installed. The parts manager assured me that since THEY are doing the install THERE, by THEM that all of it is covered by Ford. Truck had 3 mi on it when we saw it after it showed up....they better cover all that shiite.....
Get it in writing or it doesn’t mean a darn thing.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Maiden666
Airbus driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom N OH

Absolutely....

Old 11-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greendragon.
I have a 2017 F-350 and I carry a truck camper and pull a bassboat and have never had the experience of a DW.
May we ask how many miles are on your truck? Is it a 4x4? Also, I think you should consider yourself fortunate. Death Wobble (DW), or as Ford has labeled it "Sustained Steering Wheel Oscillation" (SSWO), appears to not happen on every Super Duty Truck. While it appears to be particular to the F-350 4x4 (the truck I'm taking delivery of in a few weeks), this is not specific. The sporadic occurrences of this problem makes me wonder what is causing it. I do not agree with those who believe they have determined the cause and are certain of the solution, Ford included. There are too many instances of various things being done and/or replaced with no definitive affect on re-occurrence. Ford, and several people, believe that the problem lies in the Steering Stabilizer and the Caster aspect of wheel alignment. However, more than one owner has been told by a service advisor (you ain't usually allowed to talk to the mechanic) after examination of their Super Duty following the occurrence of DW/SSWO that "the TIE-ROD BALL JOINTS are shot at 8,000 miles" or "the DRAG LINK connections are loose" or "the TRACK BAR connections are loose and/or worn out." It is clear to me that the nature of the problem is indeterminate to date. It is highly likely that it's occurrence is affecting the deterioration of various other front suspension elements given that the reports are "the front end was shaking violently, and I could hardly control the truck." The discussion of DW/SSWO should continue in earnest, contrary to what some think. Until this problem is solved, the more threads on this topic the better, in my opinion.

I want to make another comment regarding the frequency of occurrence of DW/SSWO. Some have wondered what percentage of people or trucks are experiencing it. It has been suggested that it matters whether it's 1%, 5% or 30% of Ford Super Duty trucks that are subject to this problem. My opinion - THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS FRIGHTENING, AND POTENTIALLY LIFE-THREATENING OR INJURIOUS PROBLEM, ARE THINKING THAT IT IS 100% BECAUSE IT IS THEIR TRUCK AND THEIR LIVES AT STAKE. There have been multitudes of reports on this problem. I find it interesting that Ford issued a RECALL on just a few transmissions manufactured in the summer of 2018 when to my knowledge not a single one of these transmissions resulted in a problem. Yet there has been no RECALL issued for Super Duty trucks in regards to DW/SSWO. It makes me believe that the engineers have not figured out the definitive cause of the problem, and therefore, can't issue a guaranteed solution.

Originally Posted by 04TXLightning
I can tell you after doing any mods to the suspension of your truck, you are basically losing your warranty on the suspension. Dealer will always blame the aftermarket stuff. Happened with my wife's ctsv, happened with my F250. What I am saying is you are on your own to get it fixed right. Hell, dealer wouldn't fix my brakes that squeaked so loud you couldn't drive with the windows down. I had to replace the pads. I have had to fix every little nuisance on this truck. Dealers really don't troubleshoot anymore. I was told this by a service manager. Ford doesn't allow it for fear of breaking something else that wasn't broken
I threw this one in to make a comment on the "squeaking brakes," which has nothing to do with Death Wobble. Next time, if it happens again, try getting some sheetrock sanding pads (those screen-like pieces that fit into sanding handles) and sanding down your pads just a bit. Yup, you'll have to remove them to do this. I learned this trick from my mountain bike disc brakes that were squealing like a flock of banshees. After removing the brake pads and sanding them lightly, NO SQUEAK. I was advised to use the sheetrock sanding pads; they are extremely coarse.

Originally Posted by Maiden666
Wow..intersting reading. My ‘19 is still at the dealer having the AMP power steps, steering stabilizer and level kit installed. The parts manager assured me that since THEY are doing the install THERE, by THEM that all of it is covered by Ford. Truck had 3 mi on it when we saw it after it showed up....they better cover all that shiite.....
I have to ask, why is the dealer putting a "steering stabilizer" on a brand new truck? What kind of SS are they installing, a stock Ford or a Fox 2.0 or a King". These latter two are SS's that I've read about being used to solve DW/SSWO. Or did they discover that the SS on your truck was manufactured prior to a certain date; I doubt this, but I thought I'd ask.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:21 PM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackenbush
Well ford must have screwed up on all 14 of my Fleet, They all have the same RC 2" level kits, Carli Sway Bar Drop Brackets, Fox Shocks, Track bar Drop brackets, Same Caster Camber Kits in them and they all came out about the same ranging from 2.8.Deg Drivers to 3.2 Deg Pass, not one of them have any Bump steer or Death Wobble. Towing heavy or empty. I do run 295 70 18 Mich Defenders with a weight of 54Lbs each on stock Wheels @ 78psi front & rear. Best Fleet I had in 10 years.

"control arms etc are tight" ?
Sounds like you have a bunch of great trucks there. However the whole thread is about the incredibly small minority of new ford truck owners who experience DW. When I order my new F250 I dont expect to have any problems with it at all. All three of my dodge rams had the problem but I fixed it in all three. Just worn parts. My 2011 Ford SD did not have DW but did have fueling problems that caused me to end up trading it off.

I suspect some day in the future that the solid front axle will be phased out in favor of IFS.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:43 PM
04TXLightning
Freshman User
Just to chime in another note, I was assured by my dealer that they honor lifts up to 4" for warranty work. It is bs. Of course, after I buy the truck, put a leveling kit on, they tell me that the leveling kit must be dealer installed. They lie to sell a truck. Plain and simple. But, back to death wobble. No death wobble when stock. I had bump steer when stock. Death wobble one time after lift before alignment. No death wobble since castor bushings and alignment. Bump steer at a minimum after fox single ss installed. 17 F250 4x4. Lift installed at 4500 miles

Old 11-22-2018, 02:47 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom N OH

im no legal expert but i dont see how anything in writing from a dealer will hold a ounce of water when seemingly ford is saying your on your own

i think far to many people around here have blinders on . when your plopped down in that chair with checkbook open, they have can-will-do , lie cheat steal to sale a vehicles. some of them have no lines they wont cross

Old 11-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
im no legal expert but i dont see how anything in writing from a dealer will hold a ounce of water when seemingly ford is saying your on your own

i think far to many people around here have blinders on . when your plopped down in that chair with checkbook open, they have can-will-do , lie cheat steal to sale a vehicles. some of them have no lines they wont cross
The point was, if they refuse to put it in writing, you know they’re full of it. If they do put it in writing, you have at least some chance of it being true & given the right judge, you would have some recourse in court.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:26 PM
FlyinAg
Senior User
Death Wobble or SSWO is a bounded limit cycle oscillation, similar to what you see on aircraft structures (not like flutter, which is divergent and unbounded). To get LCO, you need energy and a system spring/mass system. In the case of an aircraft, you have a flexible aircraft structure, subjected to inertial and aerodynamic forces. The the right combination of forces, mass, and spring (structure) and you can get a sustained oscillation. Changing the forces or energy into the system can prevent it or stop it. Changing the spring properties, adding dampening, or changing the mass can change the frequency or amplitude of oscillation. Sometimes LCO is unavoidable for a certain structure, so the performance envelope is limited such that the region of susceptibility is not encountered, or the mass properties are changed such that the natural frequency of the system is not excited or is shifted.

Our trucks steering system is really no different. We have forces into the system, a spring structure, and mass. Unfortunately, our system appears to be easily excited into a sustained oscillation by the forces regularly encountered right in the middle of the system performance envelope, i.e. the conditions we frequently drive at. It seems that the dampening present on the truck is not enough to prevent the oscillation from becoming sustained or from the natural frequency of the system from being excited. A worn suspension system will only make it worse, as it introduces play into the system and allows parts of it to move without much resistance.

Ford surely understands this, but is likely having a hard time determining how to change the system to fix it withing a set of somewhat fixed constraints. They can add more dampening, change mass/spring properties, limit the performance envelope or change the energy into the system. Changing the dampening could be an easy fix, but can also be a band-aid for a bigger problem. Changing mass or spring properties is difficult as the structure pretty much is what it is, and we cannot add too much mass before we start having other implications. Suspension geometry (like caster) could be changed to add stability and restoring force to the system but also has its limits. We cannot limit the performance envelope less than highway speeds for obvious reasons. Changing the energy into the system again is difficult at highway speed, but caster again could add some stability and restoring force as previously mentioned.

I am guessing attacking the dampening via shocks and steering dampeners plus optimizing geometry are going to be the most effective remedies. They probably just need to nail down exactly what, and figure out why their current design is not effective. Are the parts or manufacturing processes not up to the rigors of highway use? Are they wearing pre-maturing or ill-fit from the factory? Is it all of the above?

Old 11-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
I am trying hard to learn about Death Wobble and/or Sustained Steering Wheel Oscillation. I don't want myself nor my wife to be the first casualties of this adversity. I have no doubt that many of you Super Duty truck owners have known about this problem for years. For those of us who are just getting up to speed, the following article is a good read: from TRUCK TREND NETWORK in 2013. Curing Death Wobble - Tightening Up Your Steering - Diesel Power Magazine.

It is obvious that this problem has been around for years. I've never owned a Super Duty truck, nor have I ever heard an owner who I've spoken to complain about it or mention it. In contrast, I have been shocked at the number of truck owners, both on this forum and elsewhere, who have experienced it, complained about it, and have taken efforts to mitigate it by adjusting the truck and/or replacing parts. Since it is still going on in 2018 Super Duty trucks, and I believe will surface in 2019's also, this is clear evidence that the engineers have NOT determined the definitive cause of the problem. If they had, I believe that they would have corrected the design to prevent its occurrence - if that is possible. We should all hope that DW/SSWO is not a case of the engineer's impulses outpacing their abilities. They clearly have not been able to engineer an across-the-board solution. I believe that we, the truck owners, are faced with having to educate ourselves and become involved in the efforts at mitigation if our trucks exhibit DW/SSWO.

I am hoping that my soon-to-be-delivered 2019 Lariat CCLB F-350 4x4 6.7L never provides me with a personal experience of DW/SSWO. But if it does, I intend to do my best to be prepared to deal with it, both behind the wheel while it's happening and afterward when I do everything necessary to prevent its re-occurrence.

DW/SSWO is the chief reason that I am purchasing an EXTENDED WARRANTY - PREMIUM CARE. It may cost me $3,000 for a 6yr/125k plan with the add-ons that I want; however, it will provide me with the ability to take my truck in for regular inspections and/or repairs. And I'll get a loaner/rental car on the spot because I'm getting First Day Rental coverage. I expect that Ford will be inspecting my entire front suspension at least annually, if not more often, for evidence of deteriorating elements. The FIVE YEAR OLD article above in Truck Trend Network provides sufficient reasons to stay on top of a Super Duty front suspension. Getting the truck into the service department will be the easy part. The hard part will be ensuring that it was thoroughly and properly inspected, and repaired if necessary. I didn't create the problem, but I can sure as heck be involved in its mitigation.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:09 PM
FlyinAg
Senior User
This issue will surface in an system that is not designed or optimized properly. Solid front axles are highly susceptible inherently to their design. The engineers must have changed some small parameter in the 17+ trucks to make them more susceptible with low miles, if the stats even really point to that. It's hard to make data driven decisions with unreliable data about the occurrence rate. I don't think the suspensions are too terribly difference between pre/post 2017 models, but the frame and body changed, and thus the mass and spring properties of the system. Perhaps they did not properly account for the changes in frame and body, and did not put enough miles on the trucks during developmental test to catch it. The difference between 17, 18, and 19 year models is likely negligible, thus we can assume that as more 18 and 19 year models hit the roads, they will experience the issue at the same rate as 17s. If they did change something, then we should see that manifest is a lower rate for 19s.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:08 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyinAg
This issue will surface in an system that is not designed or optimized properly. Solid front axles are highly susceptible inherently to their design. The engineers must have changed some small parameter in the 17+ trucks to make them more susceptible with low miles, if the stats even really point to that. It's hard to make data driven decisions with unreliable data about the occurrence rate. I don't think the suspensions are too terribly difference between pre/post 2017 models, but the frame and body changed, and thus the mass and spring properties of the system. Perhaps they did not properly account for the changes in frame and body, and did not put enough miles on the trucks during developmental test to catch it. The difference between 17, 18, and 19 year models is likely negligible, thus we can assume that as more 18 and 19 year models hit the roads, they will experience the issue at the same rate as 17s. If they did change something, then we should see that manifest is a lower rate for 19s.
you might find this article interesting. its specific to dodge but the concepts should apply to ford just the same. he sounds very adament that the stabilizer should never be connected to the draglink, such as the case with 17+ fords. while i dont think the stabilizer location in itself is the cause or the cure, likely its a big piece of the puzzle, the very low caster angle likely isnt helping either.

aside from worn parts over time, i think dw can be engineered out completely. alot of people may despise ram but imo theyve done a good job of ironing out theyre front end problems in recent years. i know mine drives great. two key points that i believe helped are a stiffer trackbar and stabilizer connecting the tie rod to axle housing. there may be more factors involved but i think those are two key points ram focused on

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/death-wobble-in-depth.html

Old 11-22-2018, 11:31 PM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
As part of the DW mitigation efforts on my current dodge 3/4 ton diesel, I tried SS on both the tie rod and the drag link. Which of course did not help at all because a stabilizer shock is not the cause of death wobble to start with. Currently have a Carli Bilstein SS attached to the tie rod only. But I also have Synergy steering components, Carli ball joints, Carli control arms, Carli torsion sway bar, and Carli leveling springs with Carli spec'd King 2.5 pintop remote reservoir shocks in place along with Spin Tec manual locking hubs and Spicer U-joints outboard in the front end. And a 4th gen steering box with a steering box brace too. SO I do not have DW any more. No driveline vibes at all due to custom 5" aluminum driveshaft and front driveshaft custom fabbed for my truck. Basically fixed everything dodge screwed up on which was a lot.

The biggest things that I found that helped fix DW: 1) increase caster angle to 5*. 2) New parts to replace any and all worn-out parts. New trucks obviously should not have any worn out parts.

Very interesting writeup on bounded limit cyclic oscillation. Never heard of that before, but that exactly is what it is. Thinking about that in light of all the stuff I have done over the years to combat DW in my trucks.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:36 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not seeing a breakdown in configuration of truck with DW. Wondering if it's mostly CCSB, CCLB or if Super Cab SB, LB trucks are having issues as well?

Old 11-24-2018, 05:45 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Truck configuration is not causative as a factor in DW. What causes the radical oscillation to start (IMHO) is a breakdown in component geometry and is purely a function of the design of the steering linkage on trucks with any kind of steering system. So whether a RCLB or CCSB or a SCLB or a solid front axle or a 2wd that doesn't matter. The problem is whatever happens momentarily in the steering geometry that induces radical oscillation, aggravated by forward velocity of the truck which provides the energy needed to sustain oscillation. Which is only relieved when the truck slows down, removing energy from the oscillation cycle and decay of oscillation accelerates until the death wobble stops and the normal operation of the steering / front end resumes. Like a control algorithm implemented in process control in a manufacturing facility. Tuned to achieve steady state control at setpoint. If the track bar / drag link / tie rod geometric relationship is closely analyzed, it could likely be predictively determined at what point in time enough inductive energy is applied to create cyclic oscillation. As well as the causative factor(s) involved in the mechanical deviation of component alignment which with enough energy introduced into the system at that time initiates oscillation. The systemic control has broken down.

Since the solid axle steering control system is the constant, it is irrelevant what truck configuration mated up to. The problem is inherent to the geometry and what happens to impede that alignment. Having spent way too much time under 3 dodge trucks trying to figure this out, it is apparent that SOMETHING is disturbing correct alignment of components and that with enough energy applied, control is lost. Only to be restored when inertia is reduced sufficient to remove energy that initiates and sustains the oscillation.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:21 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Originally Posted by FlyinAg
I suspect that the model year and accompanying changes in truck weight etc. likely do not yield causative input into this problem, as DW has been seen for many years and all makes of of steering systems implementation whether chevy, dodge, or ford. And even seen on 2wd vehicles and IFS as well! So what does that tell us? IMHO that is telling us that there is SOMETHING negatively affecting the geometric alignment of the control components.

For the above mentioned points to be true (they are with much empirical evidence to back those statements up) it MUST BE CONSIDERED THAT THERE IS SOMETHING AWRY IN THE PRODUCT QUALITY AND/OR THE ACTUAL DESIGN OF THE CONTROL SYSTEMS FOR THIS RAPID ONSET SUSTAINED LOSS OF CONTROL IN THE FORM OF DESTRUCTIVE SUSTAINED OSCILLATION TO OCCUR. Because look at all the majority of trucks that do not have this problem. What is it that is different between them and the trucks that do exhibit the problem? If the design of the systems is the same (it clearly is) then that is not the root problem is it? Clearly (to me) the cause is some breakdown in control of the system initiated by energy input into the system ACTING UPON SOMETHING THAT IS PRONE TO DEVIATION FROM NORMAL.

There are only two things that then can be considered to be causative: 1) some part or parts that are worn -or- defective to the point they deviate from intended control functionality 2) correct alignment of the systemic design is compromised by incorrect caster adjustment, which then allows radical oscillation to initiate under sufficient applied energy. And further that the cause is likely to be a combination of these factors which complicates the troubleshooting.

When my dad was still alive (the most awesome mechanical engineer I have ever known) we had this very discussion several times. He told me that I needed to get under the truck(s) and watch closely as the steering was cycled lock to lock. Observe any slop or misalignment. Jack up the truck and pull on the tire(s) top to bottom and side to side to feel for any slop in ball joints or bearings or tie rod ends etc. Anything that is not right mechanically is the cause of DW, whether it is a 2wd in a dodge or a solid front axle in a ford. Period. Because there are the vast majority of these systems in many trucks over the years that DO work correctly until they don't. If it happens in a brand new truck it then implies that there is crappy product quality in steering control components that allows mechanical deviation to occur with enough applied energy. Bottom line. Incorrect or insufficient alignment of said components to be included in that... i.e. CASTER.

He always told me that if I was going to be able to fix something, I have to understand how it is supposed to work.

Quick Reply: How to fix the wobble