1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Blueberry is mine

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:19 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Blueberry is mine

So, I've purchased a '98 Club Wagon Chateau 4.6 L V8 with the 4 speed OD transmission. Substantial down got us at 0% interest for 12 months at $100/mo.
Going to be doing a full service on this just as funds allow.
I have a few things in mind right away, but they'll have to wait.
The only nits I've found so far are PDL internal switches are dodgy, probably just a ground issue I suspect. Other than that it drives out well.
Great news for us!

Old 11-07-2018, 05:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
When the PDL switches start acting up I've found removing them from the connector and cleaning the small contact pins helps quite a bit. Also inspecting the contacts in the connector body to make sure they're making good contact is also helpful.

Usually when a switch has failed it won't work at all, not intermittent. Not a huge issue but aggravating none the less.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:46 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Thanks JWA I've seen this fix on Jeep CJs as well. On my next days off, I'll have a closer look. Along with headlights bucket search. The remote went nutz today too. Got some fresh batteries but to no avail. The drivers side control panel for windows, mirrors and door locks was ajar so I suspect that a good a place to start as any.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:05 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
My door locks refuse to work often, I pull the rear one, bang it on the door, and it's back to work, the rear one is corroded.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:10 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Before I can get the keyless entry working again I have to find the wiring for the lock/unlock switch. Where is the ground for this switch?

Old 11-08-2018, 07:19 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
I thought it was in one of the kick panels, I've been wanting to find it myself, but I think my van may have come with keyless, don't know how to find out.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
I'm not saying that it is in the kick panel, that's just one that was easily seen. For lack of a TSM or even just a wiring diagram I cannot be certain.
if anyone has a diagram for an '98 E 150 van that they can post here I would be most grateful.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Also if anyone has information about the specific Ford TSMs so I many order them that'd be great. Knowing how Ford breaks up their manuals into several volumes it can be confusing.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:56 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
The RKE (remote keyless entry) module if factory will be behind the driver's seat on the side wall, just a few inches behind the B-Pillar. If a Club Wagon it'll be behind the interior trim---not the easiest access to be sure.

Here's what I found for EVTM's:

Complete WSM printed set: 1998 WSM Complete Set

EVTM only: 1998 EVTM Not in the best condition but still usable.

I've also purchased complete WSM's on CD-ROM which require temporarily re-setting your computer's system clock in order to use them---not all that inconvenient if you really need or want the info.

HTH

Old 11-09-2018, 07:29 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JWA
The RKE (remote keyless entry) module if factory will be behind the driver's seat on the side wall, just a few inches behind the B-Pillar. If a Club Wagon it'll be behind the interior trim---not the easiest access to be sure.

Here's what I found for EVTM's:

Complete WSM printed set: 1998 WSM Complete Set

EVTM only: 1998 EVTM Not in the best condition but still usable.

I've also purchased complete WSM's on CD-ROM which require temporarily re-setting your computer's system clock in order to use them---not all that inconvenient if you really need or want the info.

HTH
I have a loaded passenger van, is it behind the panel where the speaker is?

Old 11-10-2018, 03:50 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Thanks for those links JWA😊 I'llbe checking out the module as one of the steps I'd like to take, is the module grounded nearby?

Old 11-10-2018, 04:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by maples01
I have a loaded passenger van, is it behind the panel where the speaker is?
It's here:

Originally Posted by turbogus
Thanks for those links JWA😊 I'llbe checking out the module as one of the steps I'd like to take, is the module grounded nearby?
The ground is contained in the wiring harness, an EVTM will show which physical point that ground is connected to the chassis or frame.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
WOW! Thanks so very much JWA 😊
I've been remiss in posting photos I'm sorry to say. What with the employment upheaval I had to deal with a little more than a month ago. I went from a always on hard line high speed internet connection, to strictly relying on my old cell phone who's camera is not the best. Once I get it figured out I'll be a photo posting nut.
once this fix is all said and done I've got the headlight conversion planned, also installing the Bosch 'Jumbo' fog lights and the backup alarm I pulled from that pos Suburban I once had.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Sooooo, am I right in guessing that the armrest switch is not grounded?
The reason I ask is that the switch is loose from the armrest when I first got Blueberry

Old 11-11-2018, 04:50 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
If by "armrest switch" you mean the door mounted switch cluster then no its not physically grounded to the door shell---any ground connection will be found in the wiring harness leading from the door to the body.

If you're still working on intermittent PDL's then your issue probably is not a fault in a single ground wire. This is where the EVTM's are invaluable.

Quick Reply: Blueberry is mine