1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Blueberry is mine

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can dig that, thanks again JWA 😊After, wiring up an electrical radiator fan while introducing a Ford PDB with fuses and full sized Bosch relays, to control it with switch for automated, defeat and override as well as relaying the headlights, fog and driving lights. Soldering the whole works, and using this terrific 3M adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. I really enjoyed that project and at the same time I converted the battery/starter wiring to welding wire.
after all that I think I found a new hobby.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:08 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Since 'Black Betty' is not my daily driver I could take my time with that project.
If I can get it together today, coming off a 50 hour driving week I plan to pull that panel and attempt diagnosing today.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
I pulled the mid seats and the interior panel, easy as cake, just like the Monogram models of the '70's. Found the box and the wiring seems nominal. No sign of where this box grounds, took the back of the box off and the psb seems okay, no sign of burnt circuits or anything. It's hanging loose pending whether someone can point me to the ground or if it's not unusual that the black box has as internal fault.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
It was a no go, then just as I was putting away my tools, the remote worked twice then failed, perhaps it's the remote itself.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:11 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
In my diagnosis, I found a disconnected Hornet alarm system. I'll bet that remote is for the Hornet and not oe for the Ford van.
Perhaps reconnecting will help the signal. Going to try it and see.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
The conclusions of my diagnosis is that somewhere in the wiring of the Hornet alarm system there is some weak wiring connections using those damnable wire taps.
I suppose I'll have to not only purchase the Ford manual for electrical but also the corresponding manual for Hornet alarm systems.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by turbogus
The conclusions of my diagnosis is that somewhere in the wiring of the Hornet alarm system there is some weak wiring connections using those damnable wire taps.
I suppose I'll have to not only purchase the Ford manual for electrical but also the corresponding manual for Hornet alarm systems.
EVTM's are invaluable---have I mentioned that before?

The RKE is intended to work WITH the PDL's, its not intended to be the one and only way to lock/unlock the doors---I'm sure you know this already. I'm fairly confident even if it fails completely the PDL's will work through the switches. The remote could be an issue but as it only comes into play when attempting to trigger the RKE it shouldn't cause the intermittent PDL operation you're describing.

If you do get an EVTM I'd completely remove this potential hack job installation of an after market alarm to restore the factory wiring. If you want another alarm get a newer model that includes installation instructions along with on-line support. I'm personally using a very old skool model known as Crime Guard 350i---long since replaced with "new, improved" versions that don't offer me anything of interest function-wise. Those are dirt simple to install and operate---it really seems the lack of complicated BS added courtesy of "the digital age" increases reliability and reduces complications.

HTH

Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
As I'll have to wait before I pony up the funds for this project I'm going on to one that's a no brainer. Finding a bi metal bus bar and a ground strap to centralize my grounds as I've done with several rigs in the past.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:15 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Well, I headed out to Hab in hopes of finding a derelict breaker panel for the grounding bus bar as I did for my Jeep. No go there so I headed out to the wrecking yard and actually found all of the parts to convert the headlights to sealed beam and for only $17.00
Once I get going on this I'll post a how to with photos.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas

So the top photo is the light and grille support on my van, the one below is part of a broken one that I found and pulled some of the parts from. It's critical to pull all small parts as well. I'll try to post more photos as this project moves forward.
This is my start

Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
It is true that these supports will work for both composite and sealed beams. At least for the '98 model year.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
These are the parts needed as far as I can tell, make sure to glean all of the screws, adjusters, springs and plastic clips

Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Good parts grab! Looks like you've got everything you need and its all in VGC or better.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:18 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Thanks, I'll pop the panel when I get a chance.

Plastic don't last long due to the heat in the grill, be careful with the screws.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
I was really getting twitterpated in getting this project off the ground, but my back injury flared up again so I couldn't do anything, even missing a day of work. 😞

Quick Reply: Blueberry is mine