Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 F-350 Project 1 Ton Jumping Tow Truck

Old 11-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Section179
Elder User
Section179 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since youre hauling bikes... you might consider the factory ramps. Ive been really happy with them. The steel plate also provides good protection to your tailgate edge... Only photo I have handy is with a mid-overhaul king quad...

Old 11-11-2018, 02:02 PM
coolidge54
Senior User
coolidge54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by benhoopes View Post

look closer and u will see the Weigh Safe. They are a local company founded by a great man that I am happy to support and promote to everyone. I wont tow without it.

I havent given much concern to the wheels not being hubcentric. They have a load rating greater than my tires so I am confident they will hold up to my uses. But thanks for bringing that to my attention.
LOL good man, my 3" shank just arrived.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:22 PM
benhoopes
Junior User
benhoopes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Section179 View Post
Since youre hauling bikes... you might consider the factory ramps. Ive been really happy with them. The steel plate also provides good protection to your tailgate edge... Only photo I have handy is with a mid-overhaul king quad...

I have been looking for just the plate that protects the tailgate. I really love my timbersled ramp for loading Timbersleds. So I dont want the Ford ramps. Does anyone know if I can just get the plate alone?

the timbersled ski and track absolutely destroyed the tailgate of my last two trucks.

179 your truck looks great.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:09 AM
brandon4
Elder User
brandon4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brandon4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Devil's Racetrack is pretty cool. I went there several times starting in 2001. Love the scenery.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:30 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
I am done with having this truck in the shop. Paddle shifters would be super fun. But even on the Raptor I think the tranny is smarter than I am and can pick proper gears faster than I can.
Truck looks great! Did you get the air bags installed? My experience with Deavers on my '91 Ranger was that they were super soft and squatted bad with just a few hundred pounds of weight.

I will disagree that the transmission is smarter than I am. When towing my toy hauler going downhill with the tow/haul and exhaust brake engaged my transmission seems to get stuck in 3rd gear. I've learned to shift to Manual and do it myself on certain runs. Either side of the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 can be a problem.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:26 PM
benhoopes
Junior User
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Truck looks great! Did you get the air bags installed? My experience with Deavers on my '91 Ranger was that they were super soft and squatted bad with just a few hundred pounds of weight.

I will disagree that the transmission is smarter than I am. When towing my toy hauler going downhill with the tow/haul and exhaust brake engaged my transmission seems to get stuck in 3rd gear. I've learned to shift to Manual and do it myself on certain runs. Either side of the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 can be a problem.
Air bags go on this week some time. I will be hauling my first trailer (behind this truck) next week down to southern Utah for Thanksgiving. For sure I need to get them installed before then. I love how it felt squatty with just the dirt bikes in the bed. Those Deaver springs will make for a Raptor-like ride around town when not loaded. Just what I was looking for.

You are correct while towing it is best to do the gear selection yourself. The truck doesn't have eyes like we do and know when are where to gear up or down until it is often too late. I was more referring to when I am bouncing through the desert trying to keep the rubber side down offroad where it is nice to not have to worry about shifting gears and focus more on just finding the smoothest line and keeping the turbo spooled up.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:02 PM
benhoopes
Junior User
Been too long since I checked back in and gave some long term updates. 15,000 miles on her now. Tows great. Maybe not quite as solid as my MegaCab towed but very comfy. Truck has been awesome. My only complaint is the 37s just dont stay balanced very long. I think in about another 5,000 miles I will be getting some new tires maybe in a 35 on an 18 wheel so the weights can be properly placed in the wheel without rubbing the brakes.

anyone have any experience with balance beads?

Here she she is after a super fun couple days flying down muddy rutted our dirt roads. Her ears are pulled back because she was being naughty. Looks like my puppy after she has done something naughty.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Section179
Elder User
Been too long since I checked back in and gave some long term updates. 15,000 miles on her now. Toes great. Maybe not quite as solid as my MegaCab towed but very comfy. Truck has been awesome. My only complaint is the 37s just dont stay balanced very long. I think in about another 5,000 miles I will be getting some new tires maybe in a 35 on an 18 wheel so the weights can be properly placed in the wheel without rubbing the brakes.

Here she she is after a super fun couple days flying down muddy rutted our dirt roads. Her ears are pulled back because she was being naughty. Looks like my puppy after she has done something naughty.

Balancing issues might be a downside of the 17 wheel as much as the 37 tire. My 37s on 20s have been perfect with almost as many miles. Smooth at 85.

Food for thought anyway.

love your rig and serious build.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 PM
benhoopes
Junior User
Balancing issues might be a downside of the 17 wheel as much as the 37 tire. My 37s on 20s have been perfect with almost as many miles. Smooth at 85.

Food for thought anyway.

love your rig and serious build.
Super smooth at every speed other than the 55-60 mph zone. Above that it is smooth and below it isnt very noticeable. But from 55-60 it is bad.

I love pounding big rocks and when airing down in the sand it is nice to have extra sidewall for contact area. But I do bet that 20s would be better on the road. Hopefully 18s will be better than the 17s.

What brand 37s are you running?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Section179
Elder User
Super smooth at every speed other than the 55-60 mph zone. Above that it is smooth and below it isnt very noticeable. But from 55-60 it is bad.

I love pounding big rocks and when airing down in the sand it is nice to have extra sidewall for contact area. But I do bet that 20s would be better on the road. Hopefully 18s will be better than the 17s.

What brand 37s are you running?
Mickey Thompson 37x12.5 r20. They are very smooth. Road noise picked up after about 3,000 miles but still quieter than my Goodyear duratracs by quite a bit.

Id be inclined towards nitos as an option based on people on the forum here also.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 AM
benhoopes
Junior User
Mickey Thompson 37x12.5 r20. They are very smooth. Road noise picked up after about 3,000 miles but still quieter than my Goodyear duratracs by quite a bit.

Id be inclined towards nitos as an option based on people on the forum here also.

Your truck looks great. Those look like the stock wheels. Thats probably why it rides so nice. Those are much better than just about any aftermarket wheel.

I had Nitto Terra Grapplers for years. They were great for everything except they wore out fast and werent the best in the snow. I feel like the BFGs are superior for The snowy and icy conditions and last a little longer. The trade off is the vibration and a little more road noise.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Wayne64SS
Senior User
Wayne64SS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Been too long since I checked back in and gave some long term updates. 15,000 miles on her now. Tows great. Maybe not quite as solid as my MegaCab towed but very comfy. Truck has been awesome. My only complaint is the 37s just dont stay balanced very long. I think in about another 5,000 miles I will be getting some new tires maybe in a 35 on an 18 wheel so the weights can be properly placed in the wheel without rubbing the brakes.

I run the balance beads in my F350 dually on 35x12.50x17 trail grapplers. smooth as silk there is no going back. ever.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Turbo Dog
Postmaster
Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.
Do you think those Deavers will help with stock size tires? I don't plan on lifting my F250 any but I would like to mellow out some of the dirt roads the truck goes down. I don't tow much over 7000lbs very often and my normal tow weight is down around 4000 lbs. All I've done to the suspension so far is to put shorter blocks in the rear to bring it down 1.5". I am wondering if most of the off road washboard and ruts are being handled by the larger diameter tires.

Great looking truck and it sure is a nice build

Old 05-13-2019, 12:26 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Consider Centramatics or Balance Masters wheel balancers as well.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:18 PM
benhoopes
Junior User
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog View Post
Do you think those Deavers will help with stock size tires? I don't plan on lifting my F250 any but I would like to mellow out some of the dirt roads the truck goes down. I don't tow much over 7000lbs very often and my normal tow weight is down around 4000 lbs. All I've done to the suspension so far is to put shorter blocks in the rear to bring it down 1.5". I am wondering if most of the off road washboard and ruts are being handled by the larger diameter tires.

Great looking truck and it sure is a nice build
The Deavers will make for an amazing ride with any tire size. I was amazed how much smoother it drove compared to the stock 350 springs. It gives the rear a Cadillac pillowy feel. Reminiscent of the first generation Raptors. I wish the front could feel that plush. I added Air Bags because I have some heavy trailers but even with my smaller 5,000 pound trailers during the day I prefer the ride with no air in the bags. But when towing heavy the Air Bags are nice to level the truck out and get rid of that Cali Lean.

Thanks for the props on the build. I love it so far and the massage seats really are amazing when flying down washboard roads all day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.